Veolia Transport Nederland was one of the two Transdev operations in the Netherlands operating bus, train and ferry services. It was a subsidiary of Transdev Netherlands. It ceased in December 2016 with the remaining operations rebranded as Connexxion, also another subsidiary of Transdev Netherlands.
|Revenue||€306 million (2013)|
Number of employees
CGEA Transport commenced operating in the Netherlands in 1997 when it purchased a 70% shareholding in train company Lovers Rail that operated the Kennemerstrand Express from Amsterdam to IJmuiden and the Keukenhof Express from Amsterdam to Lisse for the Keukenhof between March and May. In May 1998 it began operating the Spaarne Express from Amsterdam to Haarlem. All of these ceased in 1999.
Veolia Transport Nederland then bought bus companies BBA, Limex and Stadsbus Maastricht. It continued to use the existing brand names for a while. Subsidiary Veolia Cargo Nederland BV operated freight trains on various routes. It was sold in 2009 to SNCF Geodis.
In 2012 it operated city and regional bus transport, the ferry service between the Vlissingen and Breskens and train services in Limburg between Maastricht and Kerkrade, and Roermond and Nijmegen.
After the March 2011 merger of Veolia Transport and Transdev, Veolia Transport Nederland and Connexxion were brought under common ownership after approval was granted by the Netherlands Competition Authority. Both continued to operate independently until June 2015 when both were brought under common management of Transdev Netherlands. When the Limburg concession expired on 11 December 2016, the remaining Haaglanden operations were rebranded as Connexxion.
|Name||Previous operator||Next Operator||Bus services (key places)||Rail services||Ferry services|
|Gelderland/Veluwe||BBA||Syntus||Apeldoorn (main hub), Harderwijk, Amersfoort, Ede, Wageningen, Zwolle|
|Limburg||Hermes, Limex, Stadsbus Maastricht||Arriva||Maastricht, Heerlen, Roermond, Venlo, Kerkrade||Heuvellandlijn (Maastricht - Valkenburg - Heerlen - Kerkrade)
Maaslijn (Nijmegen - Venlo - Roermond)
|North Brabant||BBA, Hermes||Arriva||Tilburg, Breda, Bergen op Zoom|
|South Holland||Connexxion||Connexxion||The Hague, Delft, Zoetermeer, Wassenaar|
|Zeeland||Connexxion||Connexxion||Zeelandic Flanders||Vlissingen - Breskens (Veolia Transport Fast Ferries)|
- SNCF and Eurotunnel acquire Veolia Cargo World Cargo News 3 September 2009
- Eurotunnel and SNCF acquire Veolia Cargo International Railway Journal 3 September 2009
- VDL delivers 54 Citeas to Veolia Transport VDL Group 12 May 2012
- Veolia Transdev to sell Dutch subsidiary International Railway Journal 18 February 2013
- NMa approves joint venture of transport companies Veolia Transport and Transdev/Connexxion Netherlands Competition Authority 12 October 2010
- Annual Report for year ended 31 December 2011 Connexxion
- Transdev merges Connexxion and Veolia Transport Nederland under one brand Transdev 22 May 2015 (Dutch)
- Arriva wins re-awarded Limburg operating contract Railway Gazette International 3 June 2015
- Veolia name disappears from the OV OV Magazine 21 November 2016 (Dutch)
Media related to Veolia Transport Nederland at Wikimedia Commons