Velika Hoča (Serbian Cyrillic: Велика Хоча, Albanian: Hoçë e Madhe) is a village in the municipality of Rahovec, in Kosovo.[a] It is one of the Serb enclaves in Kosovo, and houses some 13 Orthodox church buildings, most of which date to the Serbian Middle Ages.
Hoçë e Madhe
St Jovan Monastery (overview)
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
In the Middle Ages, Velika Hoča was a strong economical and spiritual centre with 24 churches and three monasteries. 8 monasteries and five ruins have been preserved from that period. The Dečani wine is made from vineyards in Velika Hoča since at least the reign of Emperor Stefan Dušan (r. 1331-1355).
The main economic activity of Velika Hoča is viniculture.
Velika Hoča is a significant cultural centre of Serbs in Kosovo. The village is noted for its 13 churches, some dating from the 12th century and reign of Serbian Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja, others from the 14th to 16th centuries. There are also several tower houses, one that belonged to Lazar Kujundžić.
- List of churches
- Church of St. Nicholas, Velika Hoča
- Church of St. John, Velika Hoča
- Church of St. Stephen, Velika Hoča
- Church of the Holy Sunday, Velika Hoča
- Church of Parascheva, Velika Hoča
- Church of St. Luke, Velika Hoča
- Church of St. Anne, Velika Hoča
- Church of St. Basil, Velika Hoča
- Church of the Holy Apostle Peter, Velika Hoča
- Church of the Virgin Mary, Velika Hoča
- Church of the Prophet Elijah, Velika Hoča
- Church of the Holy Archangel Gabriel, Velika Hoča
- Church on Rid
- Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008. Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the 2013 Brussels Agreement. Kosovo is currently (this note self-updates) recognized as an independent state by 98 out of the 193 United Nations member states. In total, 113 UN member states recognized Kosovo at some point, of which 15 later withdrew their recognition.
- 2011 Kosovo Census results
- Branislav Krstić (2002). Spasavanje kulturne baštine Srbije i Evrope na Kosovu i Metohiji. Koordinacioni centar Savezne vlade i Vlade Republike Srbije za Kosovo i Metohiju. ISBN 9788675560166.
Велика Хоча је једно од најстаријих насеља у Метохији. Помиње се у даровном писму које је Стефан Немања (1198-1199) дао манастиру Хиландару.
- Zarković Božidar V. (2013). "Velika Hoča i začeci crkvenog poseda u Metohiji". Zbornik radova Filozofskog fakulteta u Prištini. 43 (2): 131–48.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Velika Hoča.|
- "Velika Hoča (Unofficial site)".
- Blago Fund's Photo Collections of Serbian Medieval Churches in Velika Hoča
- "Velika Hoča" (in Serbian). Yuheritage.com.
- Филм о Великој Хочи у продукцији Министарства за дијаспору Републике Србије (in Serbian).
- "film o Velikoj Hoči" (in Serbian).
- "Velika Hoča 1991. godine" (in Serbian).