This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vasantha (pronounced vasantā) is a raga in Carnatic music (musical scale of South Indian classical music). It is a janya raga of Suryakantam, the 17th Melakarta raga. According to P|Subba Rao, majority opinion is that the raga is derived from Mayamalavagowla, the 15th Melakarta raga.
|Arohanam||S M₁ G₃ M₁ D₂ N₃ Ṡ|
|Avarohanam||Ṡ N₃ D₂ M₁ G₃ R₁ S|
Vasantha is suitable to be sung in evening and is considered an auspicious raga.
Vasantha is an asymmetric scale that does not contain panchamam. It is called a vakra audava-shadava raga,malathiga  structure is as follows (see swaras in Carnatic music for details on below notation and terms):
This scale uses the notes shadjam, shuddha rishabham, antara gandharam, shuddha madhyamam, chathusruthi dhaivatham and kakali nishadam.
Vasantha has ample scope for alapana. This scale has been used by many composers for compositions in classical music. Here are some popular compositions in Vasantha.
- Ninne kori, a popular varnam by Tecchur Singarachari
- Sitamma Mayamma by Tyagaraja
- Harihara putram and Ramachandram Bhavayami by Muthuswami Dikshitar
- Paramapurusha Jagadeesha by Swathi Thirunal
- Malmaruga Shanmukha by Papanasam Sivan
- Natanam Adinar by Gopalakrishna Bharathi'
- Rajeswarim Sambhavaye by Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji
- Thom Thomena and Yoganrusimha Padâmbuja Brunga by Kalyani Varadarajan
|Vasantha Ruthu||Sivakavi||Papanasam Sivan||M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar|
|Azhagiya Thirumugam||Brammacharigal||M. S. Viswanathan||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|Andhimazhai pozhigirathu||Raja Parvai||Illayaraja||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam,S. Janaki|
|Nil Nil Nil pathil sol||Paattu Padava||Illayaraja,Uma Ramanan|
|Maan Kanden||Raja Rishi||K.J. Yesudas,Vani Jairam|
|Iravil Irandu Paravaigal(With raga Bhagyashree touches)||Soundaryame Varuga Varuga||Vijaya Bhaskar||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam,Vani Jairam|
|Minsara Poove||Padayappa||A. R. Rahman||Srinivas,Nithyashree Mahadevan & Palakkad Sreeram|
|Vandanam Vandanam||Vazhvey Maayam||Gangai Amaran||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|Kanden Kanden||Pirivom Santhippom||Vidyasagar||Karthik,Shweta Mohan|
|En Anbae En Anbae||Mounam Pesiyadhe||Yuvan Shankar Raja||Shankar Mahadevan|
This section covers the theoretical and scientific aspect of this raga.
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: S M G M D N Ṡ
- Western: C F E F A B C
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: Ṡ N D M G Ṟ S
- Western: C B A F E D♭ C
- Ragas in Carnatic music by Dr. S. Bhagyalekshmy, Pub. 1990, CBH Publications
- Raganidhi by P. Subba Rao, Pub. 1964, The Music Academy of Madras