Vasantha (pronounced vasantā) is a raga in Carnatic music (musical scale of South Indian classical music). It is a janya raga of Suryakantam, the 17th Melakarta raga. According to P|Subba Rao, majority opinion is that the raga is derived from Mayamalavagowla, the 15th Melakarta raga.
|Arohanam||S G₃ M₁ D₂ N₃ Ṡ|
|Avarohanam||Ṡ N₃ D₂ M₁ G₃ R₁ S|
Vasantha is suitable to be sung in evening and is considered an auspicious raga.
Vasantha is an asymmetric scale that does not contain panchamam. It is called a vakra audava-shadava raga,malathiga structure is as follows (see swaras in Carnatic music for details on below notation and terms):
This scale uses the notes shadjam, shuddha rishabham, antara gandharam, shuddha madhyamam, chathusruthi dhaivatham and kakali nishadam.
Vasantha has ample scope for alapana. This scale has been used by many composers for compositions in classical music. Here are some popular compositions in Vasantha.
- Ninne kori, a popular varnam by Tecchur Singarachari
- Sitamma Mayamma by Tyagaraja
- Brihadambikayai, Harihara putram, and Ramachandram Bhavayami by Muthuswami Dikshitar
- Paramapurusha Jagadeesha by Swathi Thirunal
- Malmaruga Shanmukha by Papanasam Sivan
- Natanam Adinar by Gopalakrishna Bharathi'
- Rajeswarim Sambhavaye by Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji
- Thom Thomena and Yoganrusimha Padâmbuja Brunga by Kalyani Varadarajan
- Kodu bega Divyamathi by Purandara dasa
- Palisenna Gopalakrishna By Jagannatha Dasa
|Vasantha Ruthu||Sivakavi||Papanasam Sivan||M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar|
|Azhagiya Thirumugam||Brammacharigal||M. S. Viswanathan||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|Vandanam Vandanam||Vazhvey Maayam||Gangai Amaran|
|Santhanam Poosum||Thudikkum Karangal||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki|
|Andhimazhai pozhigirathu||Raja Parvai||Illayaraja|
|Maan Kanden||Raja Rishi||K.J. Yesudas, Vani Jairam|
|Nil Nil Nil pathil sol||Paattu Padava||Illayaraja, Uma Ramanan|
|Iravil Irandu Paravaigal(With raga Bhagyashree touches)||Soundaryame Varuga Varuga||Vijaya Bhaskar||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Vani Jairam,P. Susheela,Jolly Abraham|
|Minsara Poove||Padayappa||A. R. Rahman||Srinivas, Nithyashree Mahadevan & Palakkad Sreeram|
|Unnale Nenjam Raagam||En Pottukku Sonthakkaran||Deva||Mano, K. S. Chithra|
|Kanden Kanden||Pirivom Santhippom||Vidyasagar||Karthik, Shweta Mohan|
This section covers the theoretical and scientific aspect of this raga.
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: S G M D N Ṡ
- Western: C E F A B C
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: Ṡ N D M G Ṟ S
- Western: C B A F E D♭ C
- Ragas in Carnatic music by Dr. S. Bhagyalekshmy, Pub. 1990, CBH Publications
- Raganidhi by P. Subba Rao, Pub. 1964, The Music Academy of Madras