Konidela Varun Tej (born 19 January 1990) is an Indian actor who works in Telugu films. He made his debut as a lead in the film Mukunda (2014). He later starred in the critically acclaimed war film Kanche (2015), directed by Krish. He then went on to appear in commercially successful films such as Fidaa (2017), Tholi Prema (2018), F2: Fun and Frustration (2019) and Gaddalakonda Ganesh (2019).
|Born||19 January 1990|
|Other names||Mega Prince|
|Alma mater||St. Mary's College, Hyderabad|
|Family||See Allu–Konidela family|
Varun Tej is the son of Telugu actor and producer Nagendra Babu. He is a nephew of actors Chiranjeevi and Pawan Kalyan. His younger sister Niharika is also an actor. Ram Charan and Allu Arjun are Tej's cousins. He was educated at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad, and at St. Mary's College, Hyderabad.
Varun Tej debuted as a child artist in his father Nagendra Babu's film Hands Up! when he was just ten years old. He made his adult debut with Mukunda, starring opposite fellow newcomer Pooja Hegde. The film earned mixed reviews. His second venture was the 2015 war film Kanche, starring opposite Pragya Jaiswal and received positive reviews from critics. Varun Tej's performance as Dhupati Haribabu was praised with The Times of India praising his "capability to shift gears from intense to sobriety". His second release that year Loafer, was a box office failure, along with his 2017 outing Mister.
The later half of 2017 saw the release of Fidaa, where he played an NRI falling in love with a village belle. The film was commercially successful grossing over ₹90 crore at the box office. His 2018 release Tholi Prema was also a box office success and Varun Tej's performance as an impulsive young man was widely appreciated. His next film that year was space thriller Antariksham 9000 KMPH, directed by Sankalp Reddy.
In 2019, Tej's first release was F2: Fun and Frustration which is a multistarrer with Venkatesh, Tamannaah and Mehreen Pirzada are also a part of this movie which is huge blockbuster. After F2, he dubbed in Telugu for Aladdin's role in the film Aladdin. He later starred in Gaddalakonda Ganesh, a remake of Tamil film Jigarthanda, directed by Harish Shankar which was successful at the box office.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released.|
|2000||Hands Up!||Varun||Child artist|
|2014||Mukunda||Mukunda||Debut in a lead role|
|2015||Kanche||Dhupati Hari Babu|
|2017||Mister||Pichchaiah Naidu (Chai)|
|2018||Tholi Prema||Aditya Sekhar|
|Antariksham 9000 KMPH||Dev|
|Nanna Koochi||N/A||Narrator; web series on ZEE5|
|2019||F2: Fun and Frustration||Varun Yadav|
|Aladdin||Aladdin||Voice role (Telugu version)|||
|Gaddalakonda Ganesh||Gaddalakonda Ganesh (Gani)|
|F3: Fun and Frustration||Varun Yadav||Filming|||
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2015||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actor – Telugu||Kanche||Nominated|||
|2017||Zee Telugu Golden Awards||Entertainer Of The Year (Male)||Fidaa||Nominated|||
|2018||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Best Film Actor||Tholi Prema||Nominated|||
|2019||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actor – Telugu||Gaddalakonda Ganesh||Nominated|||
- "Tollywood's rising stars under 30". The Times of India. 29 October 2018. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 14 August 2020.
- "Four injured after Telugu actor Varun Tej's car rams into another". The News Minute. 13 June 2019. Archived from the original on 4 July 2019. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- "9 Lesser Known facts about Nandi Award winner TV Host Niharika Konidela". The Times of India. 7 May 2018. Archived from the original on 17 July 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "'Kanche' movie review roundup: Critics call it a brave attempt by Krish, Varun Tej". International Business Times India. 25 October 2015. Archived from the original on 10 May 2017. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "Kanche Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India". The Times of India. 24 October 2015. Archived from the original on 24 October 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (17 December 2017). "Tollywood in 2017: 15 highest grossing Telugu movies of the year - Baahubali 2, Khaidi No 150, JLK, DJ and others". IB Times. Archived from the original on 30 June 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (10 September 2018). "Tollywood box office report of 2018: highest grossing Telugu movies of year; List of hits and flops". IB Times. Archived from the original on 20 September 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "'Tholi Prema': Five reasons to watch Venky Atluri's directorial debut starring Varun Tej and Raashi Khanna". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "Varun Tej's space-thriller Antariksham 9000 KMPH wraps up its shoot". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 8 November 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "Mahesh Babu playing extended cameo in 'F3'?". The News Minute. 21 February 2020. Archived from the original on 5 April 2021. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- Vyas (16 October 2019). "Gaddalakonda Ganesh worldwide collections". Hans India. Archived from the original on 28 October 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- Nyayapati, Neeshita (4 January 2020). "Varun Tej prepping up for #VT10 based on boxing - Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 5 January 2020. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Shooting of F3 underway in Hyderabad: Venkatesh joins the proceedingsa". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 23 December 2020. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- Gautam, Nehal (19 January 2021). "Varun Tej Konidela's 'super intense' first look in Ghani impresses fans; see motion poster". Republic World. Archived from the original on 1 February 2021. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "Venkatesh and Varun Tej dub for 'Aladdin' Telugu version". The Times of India. 26 April 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2021.
- "SIIMA 2016 nominations out – here is the list". The News Minute. 27 May 2016.
- "Zee Telugu Golden Awards 2017 nomination list: Baahubali 2 gets highest nods, will Prabhas get an award?". IB Times. 19 December 2017.
- "Zee Cine Awards Telugu 2018". Zee Cine Awards Telugu. 27 January 2019. ZEE5.
- "SIIMA Nominations: Here Is The Complete List Of Nominations For 2019 And 2020". The Hans India. 30 August 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Varun Tej.|