Vanitha is an Indian magazine published fortnightly by the Malayala Manorama group. It is the largest magazine in India by circulation according to Audit Bureau of Circulations, with average qualifying sales of 687,915 copies (as of December 2013). It continues to be the largest in circulation in 2017 as well
Sai Pallavi on the 1 April 2016 cover of Vanitha
|Circulation||687,915 (as of December 2013)|
History and profileEdit
Vanitha was launched in 1975 as a monthly, but turned into a fortnightly in 1987. The magazine was founded by Annamma Mathew, wife of K.M. Mathew, a woman who has contributed immensely in the fields of social service, cookery, journalism and literature. Vanitha is published in Malayalam and launched a Hindi edition in 1997. Although its name translates to "woman" in Malayalam, it includes articles on a variety of topics, and is not strictly a women's magazine.
Vanitha is owned and published by MM Publications Ltd. from Kottayam. MM Publications Ltd. is part of Malayala Manorama Group. In addition to being released twice a month, Vanitha also includes special double issues for Onam, Easter, New Year's Day and Christmas.
Between July and December 2000 Vanitha was the best-selling magazine in India with a circulation of 3,82,027 copies. In 2012, the Malayalam edition of the magazine had a readership of over of 2.27 million, making it the highest read magazine in India.
- "Details of most circulated publications for the audit period July - December 2013" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Amrita Madhukalya (19 July 2015). "Of recipes and G-spots: On India's 'magazine era'". dna. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- The Far East and Australasia 2003. Psychology Press. 2002. p. 491. ISBN 978-1-85743-133-9. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- "About Us". Manorama online. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Chitralekha Group to launch its first women's magazine". Afaqs. 13 August 2001. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "IRS 2012 Q3 Topline Findings" (PDF). Media Research Users. Retrieved 29 December 2014.