|Member of the California State Senate|
from the 32nd district
August 13, 2018 – November 30, 2018
|Preceded by||Tony Mendoza|
|Succeeded by||Bob Archuleta|
|Born||September 16, 1977|
Los Angeles, California
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
University of Southern California (MPA)
Delgado attended Westridge School in Pasadena, California, graduating in 1995. She then earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Stanford University and a Master of Public Administration from the University of Southern California. She then worked in economic development for the cities of Pico Rivera, Anaheim, and Downey, California.
Delgado ran for the Montebello City Council in 2015, and won. In 2018 she ran for California's 32nd State Senate district. In the elections held on June 5, 2018, there were two contests: one contest for a full four-year term commencing in December of that year, and another contest for the remainder of the term of Tony Mendoza, who resigned earlier in the year. Delgado placed third in the primary contest for the full four-year term, eliminating her from the November general election. She placed second in the special election race for the vacant term which expires in November 2018, allowing her to advance to a runoff election held August 2018. She won the runoff election held on August 7.
Knowing she would serve the shortest amount of time in the California State Senate since Orrin Hubbell served only 15 weeks in 1903, Delgado explored whether she could instead remain Mayor of Montebello. Accepting that she could not remain in Montebello politics, Delgado was sworn in as a state senator on August 13, 2018, the same day she resigned from her positions as Mayor of Montebello and as a member of the Montebello City Council. She served a 112-day term before leaving the state Senate on December 3, 2018.
Delgado has one daughter, named Isabella, who was born circa 2003.
- "Vanessa Delgado '95 Runs for Montebello City Council 2015". October 7, 2015. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Sprague, Mike (November 4, 2015). "New Montebello council faces serious issues from budget to staff turnover". Whittier Daily News. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Myers, John (June 9, 2018). "Los Angeles voters picked different candidates for the same job". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Bollag, Sophia (August 8, 2018). "Democrat Leads Race for Seat Senator Vacated After Claims". Associated Press. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Anderson, Bryan (August 8, 2018). "A new lawmaker – for 83 days + Remembering Orrin Z. Hubbell + Auditing DMV". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Anderson, Bryan (August 14, 2018). "CA considers #MeToo bills to expand workplace protections". The Sacramento Bee. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- "Montebello Mayor Vanessa Delgado surrenders her seat to be sworn in as a short-term state senator". Daily News. August 13, 2018. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- AQMD Press release titled "Former State Senator Vanessa Delgado Joins South Coast AQMD Board", dated May 3, 2019