This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Van Ikin (born 25 November 1951) is an academic and science fiction writer and editor. A professor in English at the University of Western Australia, he retired from teaching in 2015 and is now a senior honorary research fellow. He has acted as supervisor for several Australian writers completing their post-graduate degrees and doctorates — including science fiction and fantasy writers Terry Dowling, Stephen Dedman, and Dave Luckett — and received the university's Excellence in Teaching Award for Postgraduate Research Supervision in 2000.
Ikin is probably best known for his editorship of the long-running critical journal Science Fiction - A Review of Speculative Fiction. He has reviewed science fiction and fantasy for The Sydney Morning Herald since 1984.
- Strange Constellations: A History of Australian Science Fiction (with Russell Blackford & Sean McMullen) Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- Warriors of the Tao: The Best of Science Fiction - A Review of Speculative Fiction (with Damien Broderick) (Borgo Press, 2011).
- Xeno Fiction: More Best of Science Fiction - A Review of Speculative Fiction (with Damien Broderick (Wildside/Borgo, 2013)
- Fantastika at the Edge of Reality: Yet More Best of Science Fiction - A Review of Speculative Fiction (with Damien Broderick (Wildside, 2014)
- Other Spacetimes: Interviews with Speculative Fiction Writers — with Damien Broderick (Wildside, 2015)
- Australian Science Fiction (University of Queensland Press, 1981; reprint, Academy Editions, US, 1984).
- Glass Reptile Breakout (Centre for Studies in Aust Literature, University of WA, 1990)
- Mortal Fire: Best Australian SF (with Terry Dowling) (Hodder/Coronet, 1993).
- Paul Collins (ed). The MUP Encyclopedia of Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Melbourne, Vic: Melbourne University Press, 1998, p. 94.