Sääksmäki Church in Valkeakoski
Location of Valkeakoski in Finland
|• Town manager||Jukka Varonen|
|• Total||372.03 km2 (143.64 sq mi)|
|• Land||271.98 km2 (105.01 sq mi)|
|• Water||100.06 km2 (38.63 sq mi)|
|Area rank||240th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||53rd largest in Finland|
|• Density||77.71/km2 (201.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16%|
|• 15 to 64||64.4%|
|• 65 or older||19.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.75%|
Valkeakoski is located 35 kilometres (22 mi) south of Tampere and 150 km (93 mi) north of Helsinki in the Pirkanmaa region. The municipality has a population of 21,135 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 372.03 square kilometres (143.64 sq mi) of which 100.06 km2 (38.63 sq mi) is water. The population density is 77.71 inhabitants per square kilometre (201.3/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The Valkeakoski area is known to have been inhabited since the iron age. More than a thousand years ago, the ridges on the area served as a foundation of the Rapola fort. In the following Middle Ages, the mill town Sääksmäki was the center of the area. However, industrialization towards the end of the 19th century increased the importance of what became the contemporary town of Valkeakoski. The channel of Valkeakoski was opened in 1869, and the first paper mill was completed in 1873, marking the beginning of a continuing tradition of forest industry. The municipality of Sääksmäki, from which the town of Valkeakoski was detached in 1923 was consolidated with Valkeakoski in 1973.
Valkeakoski is notable for the football team FC Haka and also other Haka sections, especially the cross-country skiing section. The "skiing Haka" is one of the most successful skiing teams in Finland. The other major local sports organization Koskenpojat has also been really successful, winning many national championships in aerobic gymnastics.
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
Valkeakoski is twinned with:
Notable persons from ValkeakoskiEdit
Notable places and eventsEdit
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- History of Valkeakoski
- "Nanchang City and Sister Cities Intercommunion". Nanchang Municipal Party Committee of the CPC and Nanchang Municipal Government. Nanchang Economic Information Center. Archived from the original on 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2013-11-05.