1 January 1898
Mont-de-Marsan, Landes, France
|Died||7 August 1978 (aged 80)|
Chiddingly, East Sussex, England
|Occupation||Poet, author, collagist|
(m. 1925; div. 1937)
In 1925 she married the English artist, historian and poet Roland Penrose (1900-1984) and joined the community of surrealists based in Paris, Mougins and England. They were divorced in 1937, but met again in London during the war, after which she lived half her time with her ex-husband and his second wife, the American photojournalist Lee Miller. This arrangement continued for the rest of her life.
Literary style and influencesEdit
Valentine Penrose wrote surrealist poetry, although she is perhaps best known for her biography of the serial killer Elizabeth Báthory (1560-1614). Her poetry reflects her experience of automatic writing, collage and painting techniques such as Max Ernst’s frottage and Wolfgang Paalen’s fumage.
Penrose was interested in female mysticism, alchemy and the occult. She met Count Galarza Santa Clara in Egypt, a master of the esoteric, and made several visits to his ashram in India. In 1936 she made an extended visit to India with the poet and painter Alice Paalen (later Alice Rahon). They become very close and their relationship is shown in their poetry from 1936 to about 1945.
- Penrose, Valentine (1935). Herbe à la lune. Eluard, Paul (preface). Editions GLM.
- — (1937). Sorts de la lueur. Editions GLM.
- — (1937). Poèmes. Editions GLM.
- — (1951). Dons des Féminines. Eluard, Paul (preface); Penrose, Valentine (illustator). Les pas Perdus. (Collages and poems by Valentine Penrose. One edition had additional illustrations by Pablo Picasso).
- — (1972). Les Magies. Les Mains Libres.
- — (2001). Colville, Georgiana M. M., ed. Ecrits d'une femme surréaliste. Paris: J. Losfeld. ISBN 2844120911. (Anthology of works of Valentine Penrose)
- — (1936). La Nouvelle Candide. Editions GLM.
- — (1945). Martha's Opéra. Fontaine.
- — (1962). Erzsébet Báthory la Comtesse sanglante. Gallimard / Mercure de France.
Works translated into EnglishEdit
Penrose acted in the following films:
- Colvile, Georgiana (1997). "Penrose, Valentine Boué". In Makward Christiane P.; Cottenet-Hage, Madeleine. Dictionnaire littéraire des femmes de langue française: De Marie de France à Marie NDiaye (in French). Karthala. pp. 463–465.
- Kellaway, Kate (22 August 2010). "Tony Penrose: 'With Picasso, the rule book was torn up'". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Roush, Paula; Lusitano, Maria (2013). "Les deux amies / The two girlfriends (Gifts of the Feminine)" (PDF). Fundação EDP, Lisbon. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Colvile, Georgiana M. M. (1996). "Through an Hour-glass lightly: Valentine Penrose and Alice Rahon Paalen". In King, Russell; McGuirk, Bernard. Reconceptions Reading Modern French Poetry (PDF). University of Nottingham. p. 102. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 15, 2012.
- "Penrose, Valentine". Writers History Literature Portal. Archived from the original on 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Roland Penrose Biography". Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "3388: Penrose, Valentine: Dons des Feminines". Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Pablo Picasso: Valentine Penrose, Dons de Féminines, Les Pas perdus". Christies. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "L'Age d'Or". IMBD.
- "La Garope". IMDB. Retrieved 8 May 2014.