Vaani Kapoor (born 23 August 1988) is an Indian actress known for her work in Hindi films. She made her film debut in the 2013 romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, a critical and commercial success, which earned her the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. After facing criticism for her performances in Aaha Kalyanam (2014), the Tamil remake of Band Baaja Baaraat, and Befikre (2016), she took a three-year break from films, before starring in brief roles as the romantic interest of the lead male character in the action thrillers War (2019) and Bell Bottom (2021). She was praised for her performance as a transgender woman in the romantic drama Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui (2021) opposite Ayushmann Khurrana.
|Born||23 August 1988|
|Years active||2010 – present|
Early life and educationEdit
Kapoor's father Shiv Kapoor is a furniture exports entrepreneur and her mother Dimpy Kapoor is a teacher-turned marketing executive. She did her schooling from Mata Jai Kaur Public School in Ashok Vihar, Delhi. Later she enrolled in Indira Gandhi National Open University, completing a bachelor's degree in tourism studies, after which she took up an internship with Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in Jaipur and later worked for ITC Hotel. She was signed by the Elite Model Management for modeling projects.
Kapoor later signed a three-film deal with Yash Raj Films. She was selected through an audition to play a supporting role in the romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, alongside Sushant Singh Rajput and Parineeti Chopra. The film dealt with the subject of live-in relationships; it received positive feedback from critics, and Kapoor's portrayal of an outspoken girl, Tara, was praised. Mohar Basu of Koimoi wrote that Kapoor was "a pleasant debutant though she isn’t an overtly powerful actress" while Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times Of India thought that she was "impressive, pretty and commands a good screen-presence". Shuddh Desi Romance collected ₹46 crore (US$6.8 million) at the domestic box-office and emerged as a commercial success. At the 59th Filmfare Awards, Kapoor was awarded with the Best Female Debut award.
Kapoor's next release was the Tamil romantic comedy Aaha Kalyanam, an official remake of the 2010 Hindi film Band Baaja Baaraat. She was cast opposite Nani and learned the Tamil language for the film. Upon release, the film received negative reviews.
In 2016, Kapoor appeared in Aditya Chopra's romantic drama Befikre opposite Ranveer Singh. The film, set in Paris, was released on 9 December 2016. It received negative reviews from critics and was considered to be a box-office failure.
After a three-year break from films, she appeared in the action thriller War, alongside Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff. Directed by Siddharth Anand and produced by Yash Raj Films, the film was released on 2 October 2019 to coincide with Gandhi Jayanti. War set the record for the highest-opening day collection for a Bollywood film and also became the highest-grossing Hindi film of 2019, thereby being her most successful film so far. However, she was criticised for her limited screen space, and her presence was widely considered as mainly to add a glamour quotient to the film.
Kapoor next starred in the 2021 action thriller Bell Bottom alongside Akshay Kumar, which marked her first film not to be produced by Yash Raj Films. It was theatrically released on 19 August 2021 and received mixed-to-positive reviews. In addition, Kapoor starred in her second non-YRF film, the romantic drama Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui opposite Ayushmann Khurrana, which released theatrically on 10 December 2021; she was praised for her portrayal of a trans woman in the film.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Shuddh Desi Romance||Tara||Hindi|
|2014||Aaha Kalyanam||Shruthi Subramaniam||Tamil|
|2021||Bell Bottom||Radhika Malhotra|||
|Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui||Maanvi Brar|||
|2013||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Film Debut (Female)||Shuddh Desi Romance||Won|||
|2014||Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut|||
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Debut of the Year (Female)|||
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|||
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|||
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
|Screen Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|||
|2019||Best Supporting Actress||War||Nominated|||
- "Vaani Kapoor: Movies, Photos, Videos, News, Biography & Birthday | eTimes". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 10 January 2022.
- "Vaani Kapoor: Was VERY SCARED of the director of Shuddh Desi Romance". Rediff.
- "'Shuddh Desi Romance' more challenging than fun: Vaani Kapoor". Mid Day. 18 September 2013. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Basu, Mohar (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance Review". Koimoi. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance: Movie Review". The Times Of India. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "59th Idea Filmfare Awards Winners". Filmfare. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "I understand Tamil well: Vaani Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Aaha Kalyanam: Conjugal fights". The Hindu. 22 February 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "It's surreal:Ranveer Singh on Befikre trailer launch at Eiffel Tower". 10 October 2016.
- "Vaani Kapoor feels 'Befikre' debacle was because of her". mid-day. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Ians (15 July 2019). "'War' teaser promises an exhilarating Hrithik vs Tiger spectacle". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- "War box office: Hrithik Roshan, Tiger Shroff film is 2019's highest grossing Indian film worldwide, here are all records it has broken". Hindustan Times. 24 October 2019.
- Upadhyay, Karishma (4 October 2019). "Vaani Kapoor on War, handling the failure of Befikre and having Aditya Chopra as mentor". Telegraph India. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- "'War' review: Astonishing action, slick screenplay and a killer Hrithik-Tiger bromance". The Hindu. 3 October 2019. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- "'Have always looked forward to working with him': Vaani Kapoor on starring opposite Akshay Kumar in 'Bell Bottom'". DNA India. 11 July 2020. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- "Vaani Kapoor on doing small role in Akshay Kumar's BellBottom: 'Best roles go to bigger, credible actresses'". The Indian Express. 24 August 2021. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (10 December 2021). "Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui Review: Ayushmann Khurrana Has A Great Time, Vaani Kapoor Is A Revelation". NDTV. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- Maru, Vibha (25 August 2021). "Ranbir Kapoor's look in Shamshera will surprise the audience, says co-star Vaani Kapoor". India Today. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- Torkham, Sulabha (1 October 2020). "Bell Bottom becomes first film to start and finish shooting during coronavirus pandemic". India Today. Retrieved 1 October 2020.
- "'Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui': Director Abhishek Kapoor introduces Maanvi aka Vaani Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana-Vaani Kapoor starrer Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui wraps under 2 months during the pandemic". Bollywood Hungama. 22 December 2020. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "BREAKING: Yash Raj Films announces theatrical release dates for Bunty Aur Babli 2, Prithviraj, Jayeshbhai Jordaar and Shamshera!". Bollywood Hungama. 26 September 2021. Retrieved 26 September 2021.
- "Nominations for 4th Big Star Entertainment Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "IIFA 2014 Winners". IIFA. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Screen Awards 2014: Complete list of Nominees". CNN-IBN. Archived from the original on 8 January 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Guild Awards 2014 Winners". filmibeat. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine 2014 Winners". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2014: Complete list of nominations". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Screen Awards 2019 full winners list". India Today. 9 December 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaani Kapoor.|