Kapoor at an event for Befikre in 2016
23 August 1988 |
Kapoor made her film debut with Parineeti Chopra and Sushant Singh Rajput in the 2013 romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, a critical and commercial success. She garnered wide appreciation for her performance and earned her several awards and nominations, including the Best Female Debut at the 59th Filmfare Awards. In 2014, she ventured into the South Indian film industry with the Tamil and Telugu language romantic comedy Aaha Kalyanam, that proved to be a moderate box-office success and her portrayal of the lead female character was praised.
Life and careerEdit
Kapoor's father is a furniture exports entrepreneur and her mother is a teacher-turned marketing executive. She did her schooling at the Mata Jai Kaur Public School in Ashok Vihar, Delhi. Later she enrolled in Indira Gandhi National Open University, completing a bachelor's degree in tourism studies, after which she took up an internship with Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in Jaipur and later worked for ITC Hotel. She was signed by the Elite Model Management for modeling projects.
She later signed a three-film deal with the Yash Raj Films. Kapoor was selected through an audition to play a supporting role in the romantic comedy Shuddh Desi Romance, alongside Sushant Singh Rajput and Parineeti Chopra. The film deals with the subject of live-in relationship, received positive feedback from critics and Kapoor's portrayal of an outspoken girl, Tara, was praised. Mohar Basu of Koimoi wrote that Kapoor was "a pleasant debutant though she isn’t an overtly powerful actress" while Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times Of India thought that she was "impressive, pretty and commands a good screen-presence". Shuddh Desi Romance collected ₹46 crore (US$6.8 million) at the domestic box-office and emerged as a commercial success. At the 59th Filmfare Awards, Kapoor was awarded with the Best Female Debut award.
Her next release was the Tamil romantic comedy Aaha Kalyanam, an official remake of the 2010 Hindi film Band Baaja Baaraat. Kapoor was cast opposite Nani and learned Tamil and Telugu languages for the film. Upon the release, Kapoor received positive reviews for playing the lead female role. IndiaGlitz called Kapoor's performance "impressive, with her expressions and dialogues perfectly in place with the attitude of her character". According to the Box Office India, the film was an average-grosser.
|2013||Shuddh Desi Romance||Tara||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|2014||Aaha Kalyanam||Shruthi Subramaniam||Tamil film|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||Shuddh Desi Romance||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Film Debut (Female)||Won|||
|2014||Filmfare Award||Best Female Debut|||
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Debut of the Year (Female)|||
|Screen Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|||
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|||
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut|||
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female||Nominated|||
- Kapoor, Vaani (29 November 2013). "its 88!*sigh*". Twitter.com. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "'Shuddh Desi Romance' more challenging than fun: Vaani Kapoor". 18 September 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Personal Agenda: Vaani Kapoor".
- "Aha Kalyanam movie review: Subject no match for Telugu audience". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Vaani Kapoor: Was VERY SCARED of the director of Shuddh Desi Romance".
- "'Shuddh Desi Romance' more challenging than fun: Vaani Kapoor". Mid Day. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Basu, Mohar (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance Review". Koimoi. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta (6 September 2013). "Shuddh Desi Romance: Movie Review". The Times Of India. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "59th Idea Filmfare Awards Winners". Filmfare. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Aaha Kalyanam Review – Happily ever after". IndiaGlitz. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/ranveer-singh-on-befikre-trailer-launch-at-eiffel-tower-3075812/ It’s surreal:Ranveer Singh on Befikre trailer launch at Eiffel Tower
- "Nominations for 4th Big Star Entertainment Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "IIFA 2014 Winners". IIFA. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Screen Awards 2014: Complete list of Nominees". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Guild Awards 2014 Winners". filmibeat. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine 2014 Winners". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2014: Complete list of nominations". ZeeNews. Retrieved 4 September 2014.