V (American magazine)
V magazine is an American fashion magazine published since 1999. The magazine is printed seasonally and highlights trends in fashion, film, music and art. A men's fashion quarterly entitled VMAN started as an offshoot in 2003.
Winona Ryder on V (November 2013) cover.
|Based in||11 Mercer Street, New York, NY 10013|
V magazine was launched in September 1999 as the "younger sibling" publication to the limited-edition quarterly Visionaire. V releases four issues a year, one for each current seasonal collection; Spring Preview, Fall Preview, Winter Preview and Summer Preview. The magazine has a readership of 315,000 as of 2010.
V is edited by Stephen Gan and features new American fashion displayed through shoots and editorials focusing more specifically on art, film, music and fashion. V has been noted for its inventive and progressive styling, as well as its reportage of cultural figures and global youth culture. Past contributors have included Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, Hedi Slimane, Mario Testino, Mario Sorrenti, and Karl Lagerfeld. Interview subjects have included Joan Didion, Salman Rushdie, Robert Altman, Brooke Shields, and Norman Mailer. Icons in fashion, film, music and art to grace the cover include Madonna, Katy Perry, Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Naomi Campbell, Grace Jones, Brad Pitt, Britney Spears, David Bowie and Lady Gaga.
In 2005, 7L and Steidl published the book V Best: Five Years of V Magazine, chronicling the first five years of the publication. Included are fashion articles, photos, interviews and more from the first five years of V.
In 2016, Lady Gaga was invited to be the guest editor for V for its 99th issue, which features a record-setting sixteen different covers.
In March 2016, it was revealed that Britney Spears was selected to appear on the cover of the magazine for its 100th issue. Spears shot three different covers for the milestone issue with photographer Mario Testino.
On the coverEdit
Some of the celebrities that have been featured on the cover of V Magazine are: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Madonna, Katy Perry, Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cameron Diaz, Winona Ryder, Rihanna, Kesha, James Franco, David Beckham, Natalie Portman, Dakota Fanning, Kirsten Dunst, Kristen Stewart, Jennifer Connelly, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, Orlando Bloom, Demi Moore, Beyoncé, Adriana Lima, Marc Jacobs, Salma Hayek, Celine Dion and more.
The January 2010 issue of V magazine entitled "The Size Issue" featured a variety of plus sized models. This edition printed two different covers, one with plus sized "Precious" star Gabourey Sidibe, while the other featured the petite actress Dakota Fanning. One criticism of the issue argues that the magazine's intentions were to juxtapose big and small as in a competition with one another. However, others "embraced the magazine's bold statement" and commended V on its efforts to "modernize the beauty standard".
In June 2017 V Magazine featured band Monotronic as the music behind a VTV summer swimwear feature. 
The V Magazine website consists of multiple different navigational links such as; blog, magazine, fashion, articles, photo and video. The website contains features from the current issue as well as extras and exclusive outtakes that did not get put into the final printing of the magazine. Other interactive technological features on V’s website include the magazine's Twitter stream, blog and Facebook page.
VMAN magazine featuring men's clothing is an offshoot of V magazine. Established in 2003, it is published quarterly by Visionaire Publishing, also responsible for V and Visionaire.
- Greg Allard (October 3, 2015). "The Top 20 Selling Fashion Magazines". Tune Groover. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- V Best: Five Years of V magazine. Edition 7L. ISBN 3-86521-028-7.V
- "V Magazine Media Kit 2014". Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- Wilson, Eric (January 13, 2010). "The Triumph of the Size 12s". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- V Best: Five Years of V Magazine. Edition 7L. ISBN 3-86521-028-7.
- Bell, Amanda (January 6, 2016). "Lady Gaga Goes Full Countess For 'V Magazine'". MTV News. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- "V100 Starring Britney Spears - V Magazine". vmagazine.com. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Inbar, Michael. "Plus-size Models Buck Thin Trend in V Magazine." TODAY fashion&beauty. MSNBC. 8 Jan. 2010. Web.
- S., D. "V." American Photo 19.5 (2008): 72–73. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 7 Feb. 2011
- V Magazine (2017-06-16), VTV Takes Coney Island in the Season's Brightest Swimwear, retrieved 2017-12-06
- "V Magazine (@vmagazine) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Security Check Required". facebook.com. Retrieved 17 April 2017.