This article does not cite any sources. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
VEB Kombinat Robotron[needs IPA] (or simply Robotron) was the biggest East German electronics manufacturer. It was based in Dresden and employed 68,000 people (1989). It produced personal computers, SM EVM minicomputers, the ESER mainframe computers, several computer peripherals as well as home computers, radios and television sets.
|Industry||Electronics manufacturer, computer software|
|Fate||Liquidated / converted into corporations|
|Founded||1 April 1969Dresden, German Democratic Republicin|
|Defunct||1 July 1990|
German Democratic Republic
|Products||A 5120, PC 1715, Robotron K 1840, Robotron KC 87, …|
Number of employees
Robotron managed several different divisions:
- VEB Robotron-Elektronik Dresden (headquarters) — typewriters, personal computers, minicomputers, mainframes
- VEB Robotron-Meßelektronik Dresden — measurement and testing devices, home computers
- VEB Robotron-Projekt Dresden — software department
- VEB Robotron-Buchungsmaschinenwerk Karl-Marx-Stadt — personal computers, floppy disk drives
- VEB Robotron-Elektronik Hoyerswerda — monitors, power supply units
- VEB Robotron-Elektronik Radeberg — mainframes, radio receivers, portable television receivers, directional radio systems
- VEB Robotron Vertrieb Dresden, Berlin and Erfurt — sales departments
- VEB Robotron-Elektronik Zella-Mehlis — computer terminals, hard disk drives
- VEB Robotron-Büromaschinenwerk Sömmerda — personal computers, printers, electronic calculators (Soemtron 220, 222, 224), invoicing machines (EFA 380), punched card indexers and sorters (Soemtron 432).
- VEB Robotron Elektronik Riesa — printed circuit boards
- VEB Robotron-Anlagenbau Leipzig — general contractor, design and assembly for computer and process calculation systems in the GDR and export, training center
On 30 June 1990 the Kombinat Robotron was liquidated and the divisions were converted into corporations. In the 1990s these companies were sold, e.g., to Siemens Nixdorf, or also liquidated.
Robotron Datenbank-Software GmbH is a company which emerged from one of the former divisions of Kombinat Robotron It was newly founded on 23 August 1990, just before German reunification.
Robotron printers were sold in Western Germany as "Soemtron" or "Präsident", and the West German branch of Commodore used some Robotron parts for their printers.
In East Germany, Epson printers were sold under the Robotron brand (but the technical description on the back side was with the "Epson" logo).
Robotron computers and typewritersEdit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robotron.|
- Robotron.foerderverein-tsd.de — The History of Robotron narrated by former staff members. German language site.
- Computer-archiv.de — On-line generalised list of computers including Robotron. German language site.
- Robotrontechnik.de — On-line museum of Robotron companies and products. German language site with some English translations.
- Soemtron.org — Technical data for the Soemtron 22x series (220, 222, 224) desktop calculators manufactured by VEB Robotron Büromaschinenwerk Sömmerda.
- Typewriter "Erika" — DDR Museum, Berlin
- Company History — Company History Robotron Radeberg.