Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality(Redirected from Uttarpara Kotrung)
Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality is the civic body that governs Uttarpara, Kotrung, Bhadrakali, Hindmotor, Makhla and surrounding areas in Srirampore subdivision of Hooghly district, West Bengal, India.
|Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality|
|Founded||1853 (Uttarpara), 1964 (Uttarpara Kotrung)|
|Trinamool Congress (15)
CPI (M) (4)
Uttarpara Municipality was founded on 14 April 1853.Uttarpara was only the second town in Bengal to voluntarily adopt the Municipal Act of 1850 Sec XX16 – Serampore was the first town to adopt it. However, while in Serampore European residents pushed the issue through, in Uttarpara it was the zamindar Joy Krishna Mukherjee who played the pivotal role. Kotrung was merged with Uttarapara Municipality in 1964 and it was renamed Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality. Makhla was merged with Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality in 1991.
The boundaries of Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality are as follows: Konnagar Municipality to the north, Hooghly River to the east and Bally khal to the south. Earlier the railway track was the western limit, but subsequently areas such as Makhla and Hindmotor have been added beyond the railway track.
Uttarpara Kotrung municipality covers an area of 11.75 sq km and has a population of 159,413 (2011).
In 1981, 27.47% of the total population formed main workers and 72.53% were non-workers in Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality and 37.98% of the total main workers were industrial workers. This may be interpreted as follows: although industrial activities are prominent in the municipal areas of the region, the major portion of the population is commuters and migrants find employment in the area.
About the 2010 municipal elections, The Guardian wrote, “Today's municipal elections are unlike any for decades: the Communists, who have held West Bengal's main towns almost without a break since the 1970s, are facing disaster… This time defeat is likely to be definitive and could signal the beginning of the end for the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPIM).”
|Ward No||Neighbourhood1||Total Electors||Seat Type||Councillor||Party|
|1||Kotrung||3,647||General||Pranab Bag||CPI (M)|
|2||do||5,385||Woman||Pampa Das||Trinamool Congress|
|3||do||4,946||SC||Malay Biswas||CPI (M)|
|4||do||5,200||General||Prabir Kangsabanik (Sanu)||CPI (M)|
|5||do||3,583||General||Sudhir Ranjan Das||Independent|
|6||do||4,531||Woman||Putul Rani Ghosh||Trinamool Congress|
|7||Kotrung, Bhadrakali||10,858||General||Ratna Singha Roy||Trinamool Congress|
|8||Bhadrakali||3,876||General||Tapash Mukherjee (Buro)||Trinamool Congress|
|9||do||4,963||Woman||Mitali Bej||Trinamool Congress|
|10||Uttarpara||6,529||General||Dipak Kundu||Trinamool Congress|
|12||do||3,957||Woman||Mousumi Biswas||Trinamool Congress|
|13||do||5,015||General||Narayan Chandra Mitra||Congress|
|14||do||4,122||General||Utpaladitya Banerjee||Trinamool Congress|
|15||do||4,961||Woman||Susmita Sarkar (Boni)||CPI (M)|
|16||do||3,961||General||Sumit Chakraborty (Tukai)||Trinamool Congress|
|17||do||5,219||General||Subrata Mukherjee||Trinamool Congress|
|18||do||3,574||SC Woman||Anjali Patra||Trinamool Congress|
|19||do||5,529||Woman||Aditi Kundu||Trinamool Congress|
|20||Makhla||4,984||General||Indrajit Ghosh (Paba)||Trinamool Congress|
|22||do||6,497||Woman||Debi Chakraborty||Trinamul Congress|
|23||do||6,334||General||Dilip Yadav||Trinamool Congress|
|24||Hindmotor||1,519||General||Kamakhaya Narayan Singh||Congress|
1 This is a broad indication of the neighbourhood covered, not a full description
- "Chairman's message" (PDF). Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Uttarpara Municipality". uttarpara.com. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Uttarpara-Kotrung Municipality". Department of Municipal Affairs, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Chapter V Industrial set up of the study area" (PDF). Table 16, Page 232, Table 17, Page 233, Table 18, Page 236. Shodhganga. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department". Health Statistics. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- "Municipal General Election Results". Results of Municipal General Elections 2015. West Bengal State Election Commission. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Municipal General Election Results". Results of Municipal General Elections yearwise. West Bengal State Election Commission. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- "India's Communist party faces defeat in West Bengal heartland". The Guadian, International Edition, 30 May 2010. theguardian. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "Municipal General Election Results: Uttarpara Kotrang". West Bengal State Election Commission. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality: Infrastructure" (PDF). Uttarpara Kotrung Municipality. Retrieved 4 July 2017.