Uthman (Arabic: عثمان, romanized: ʿUthmān), also spelled Othman, is a male Arabic given name with the general meaning of "wise, most powerful, intuitive". It is popular as a male given name among Muslims. It is also transliterated as Osman or Usman, particularly when the name occurs in languages which either have no /θ/ sound or where the character ⟨ﺙ⟩ is pronounced differently, such as Persian, Bosnian, Turkish, and Urdu, as well as some Arabic dialects.
|Pronunciation||Uthman (Arabic: عثمان) |
Usman (Persian, Urdu)
|Meaning||Arabic: Wise, |
|Region of origin||Arabia (Middle East)|
Originally the name often occurred as a nasab (an Arabic patronymic) in the names of children of people called Uthman, as in 'Ibn Uthman' ('Son of Uthman') or 'Bint Uthman' ('Daughter of Uthman'). From there, it also developed into a surname.
- Uthman ibn Affan, third Rashidun caliph and son-in-law of the prophet Muhammad
- Uthman Abu Qahafa father of Abu Bakr
- Uthman al-Asghar, one of the sons of Ali ibn Abi Talib
- Uthman al-Akbar, one of the sons of Ali ibn Abi Talib
- Uthman ibn Naissa, a Berber Wāli of Narbonne and effective Muslim governor of Septimania.
- Uthman I, a Marinid ruler.
- Uthman, a Hafsid ruler.
- Uthman ibn Ali (Bey of Tunis), the sixth leader of the Husainid Dynasty and the ruler of Tunisia briefly in 1814.
- Othman Al Omeir, a Saudi-born British businessman, journalist and editor.
- Othman Saat, a former Chief Minister of the state of Johor in Malaysia.
- Othmane Senadjki, a former journalist and edito-in-chief in Algeria.
- Othman Wok (1924–2017), Singaporean politician
Surname and patronymicEdit
- Abdul Ghani Othman, the current Menteri Besar of the state of Johor in Malaysia
- Abdul Kahar bin Othman, a Singaporean criminal executed for drug trafficking in Singapore
- Abdullatif bin Ahmed Al Othman, the governor of Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA)
- Arwa Othman, Yemeni writer, journalist, human rights activist and former Minister of Culture
- Tuanku Sultan Otteman II, a former Sultan of Deli
- Barbara Uthmann, businesswoman and supporter of bobbin lace
- Uthman ibn Hunaif, Companions of the Prophet
- Othman, a fictional historical character in the Christopher Paolini book Inheritance.
- Origin of the name USMAN Names