Open main menu

Contents

Disambiguation link notificationsEdit

As these are generated by a bot, and I occasionally check or patrol the status of these, I moved them to a special archive: /Disambiguation link notifications. Wbm1058 (talk) 13:11, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

My content creator's to-do list has items so old they've grown moldEdit

...so I moved them to the /Content to-do items subpage. Someday maybe I'll get to these... Wbm1058 (talk) 03:00, 7 October 2015 (UTC)

Wikipedia "Merge" like WP:RM or WP:AFDEdit

There are a lot of tumbleweeds rolling over at Wikipedia:Proposed mergers... the last edit added a {{backlog}} template. Now that I'm an administrator, I've decided to focus on clearing the Wikipedia:WikiProject History Merge and Category:Possible cut-and-paste moves backlogs first. If Proposed mergers were busier, I'd make this a higher priority.

Proposed MergersEdit

Since you run MergeBot and RMCDBot, I was wondering, if it were possible to create an auto generated list like WP:RM has but for WP:PM, that links to the centralized discussion area, and lists the topics to be merged (from/to/with) ? As the current MergeBot already generates arrows indicated from/to/with, it would seem a modification of template:requested move/dated/multi would do to handle such an automated listing based on a standardized talk section header.

-- 65.94.43.89 (talk) 04:42, 12 May 2015 (UTC)

See § Wikipedia "Merge" like WP:RM or WP:AFD above. Still on my back-burner. Wbm1058 (talk) 16:37, 21 May 2015 (UTC)

Adding permalinks to block log entries for 3RREdit

Discussions are consolidated at /Adding permalinks to block log entries. – Wbm1058 (talk) 14:44, 2 October 2014 (UTC)

Cross-namespace redirectsEdit

Deep gratitudeEdit

A big thank you for your help to clear Category:Cross-namespace redirects into its subcats. Really can't thank you enough! Joys! – Paine Ellsworth CLIMAX! 03:17, 24 December 2013 (UTC)

You're welcome. One final push to clear most of the rest, and then it will be time to take a break. Wbm1058 (talk) 03:30, 24 December 2013 (UTC)
Break? Whassat?!   – Paine Ellsworth CLIMAX! 05:06, 24 December 2013 (UTC)
  • Just a note that Category:Redirects to user namespace is significantly underpopulated. I was working off the list at User:Largoplazo/WP Redirects to further populate it, and worked my way through the A's. It's on my patrol list, so I may get to it eventually. Wbm1058 (talk) 02:42, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
    I finally used AWB to populate Category:Redirects to user namespace; it now has over 900 members. My technique was to Make list from source Special page: All Redirects in namespace Wikipedia: – the category hasn't yet been fully populated for other namespaces. I think all of the cross-namespace redirect categories can and should eventually be populated by bots... AWB may be able to do that with a sufficiently sophisticated configuration. – wbm1058 (talk) 16:53, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
    See HERE for the regex find & replace used for this. I manually monitored this and had to skip some that were already rcat templated; also may have missed some. wbm1058 (talk) 17:09, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
    Or the database query method used to generate User:Largoplazo/WP Redirects may be a more efficient method than my AWB special page walk-through. I need to figure out how to do that myself. @Paine Ellsworth: FYI. – wbm1058 (talk) 17:31, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
Thank you for the ping, Wbm1058! That's pretty cool stuff you're doing – and waay outside my full comprehension. Please keep up the great work!  OUR Wikipedia (not "mine")! Paine  15:26, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

VisualEditorEdit

NumbersEdit

Hi Wbm1058,

You asked a while ago about how many editors were using VisualEditor each month, rather than the each-day stats that are given on the dashboard. It appears that the most recent answer is that a bit under 1800 editors here at the English Wikipedia saved an edit with VisualEditor during the month of June. This represents about 5% of the people who have (ever) opted in to VisualEditor (most of whom are not currently active editors) and almost 1.5% of all registered editors who made any edit at all last month.

@Risker:, you might be interested in these numbers, too. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 23:11, 2 July 2014 (UTC)

InvitationEdit

 
Thank you for using VisualEditor and sharing your ideas with the developers.

Hello, Wbm1058,

The Editing team is asking for your help with VisualEditor. I am contacting you because you posted to a feedback page for VisualEditor. Please tell them what they need to change to make VisualEditor work well for you. The team has a list of top-priority problems, but they also want to hear about small problems. These problems may make editing less fun, take too much of your time, or be as annoying as a paper cut. The Editing team wants to hear about and try to fix these small things, too. 

You can share your thoughts by clicking this link. You may respond to this quick, simple, anonymous survey in your own language. If you take the survey, then you agree your responses may be used in accordance with these terms. This survey is powered by Qualtrics and their use of your information is governed by their privacy policy.

More information (including a translateable list of the questions) is posted on wiki at mw:VisualEditor/Survey 2015. If you have questions, or prefer to respond on-wiki, then please leave a message on the survey's talk page.

Thank you, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 15:56, 26 March 2015 (UTC)

Setting magic wordsEdit

I've done some analysis of VisualEditor's setting of behavior switches, see the archived discussion. I intend to follow up on this. Wbm1058 (talk) 18:03, 16 January 2016 (UTC)

Duplicate template parametersEdit

Your edits reverted my fix to remove duplicate parameters and these files will soon be placed in Category:Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls. I'm not watching them, nor am I watching this page, so I leave it to you to fix the issues. --  Gadget850 talk 22:08, 31 October 2014 (UTC)

@Gadget850: Right, already taken care of. See Template talk:Non-free use rationale logo#Override fields. Wbm1058 (talk) 22:14, 31 October 2014 (UTC)
To do: possible merge of {{Non-free use rationale}} and {{Non-free use rationale 2}}
Non-free media information and use rationale for Test article
Description

{{{Description}}}

Source

Myself

Article

Test article

Portion used

{{{Portion}}}

Low resolution?

{{{Low resolution}}}

Purpose of use

Demo

Replaceable?

{{{Replaceability}}}

Fair useFair use of copyrighted material in the context of Test article//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Wbm1058
Media data and Non-free use rationale
Description
Author or
copyright owner
Source (WP:NFCC#4) Myself
Use in article (WP:NFCC#7) Test article
Purpose of use in article (WP:NFCC#8)
Not replaceable with
free media because
(WP:NFCC#1)
Minimal use (WP:NFCC#3)
Respect for
commercial opportunities
(WP:NFCC#2)
Fair useFair use of copyrighted material in the context of Test article//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Wbm1058

For that matter, {{Non-free use rationale 2}} and {{Non-free use rationale logo}} are also somewhat redundant, as show by the usage of both here. Wbm1058 (talk) 01:31, 10 September 2015 (UTC)

Generate automatic summary /* blah */ when I manually add a section heading when editingEdit

Consolidated discussions are at my subpage /Generate automatic summary /* blah */ when I manually add a section heading when editing. Hopefully solutions are on the way soon. – wbm1058 (talk) 23:37, 3 June 2017 (UTC)

Module documentation and test casesEdit

There's really no point to having test cases for data modules, since there's no code to test. Also, doc pages that contain a #invoke of the module itself exist so that TemplateSandbox can be used to preview changes of the module. It's fine to add "real" documentation, but the #invoke must not be disabled or removed when doing so. Jackmcbarn (talk) 20:47, 15 January 2015 (UTC)

Module:Syrian Civil War map is in Category:Pages where template include size is exceeded.
I edited Module:Syrian Civil War map/doc, and created Module:Syrian Civil War map/testcases.
Cities and towns during the Syrian Civil War used to transclude {{Syrian Civil War detailed map}}, until substituted.
Template:Syrian Civil War detailed map loads Module:Syrian Civil War detailed map.
Template:Syrian Civil War map (created 21 February 2015‎) . . . Wbm1058 (talk) 03:02, 27 June 2015 (UTC)

AccuracyEdit

Your comments about the state of accuracy in the world on Jimbo's talk page are very interesting. I would like to explore this topic further. I'm particularly fond of your statement, "Society as a whole perhaps doesn't value accuracy as much as it should, and indeed Wikipedia editors should strive for a higher level of accuracy." Heck, I think some kind of variation on this should be our guiding principle. You've really nailed something here, and I think it's worth pursuing. One counterargument to pursuing accuracy, however, might attempt to appeal to the blind men and an elephant analogy. How would you respond to this? Viriditas (talk) 08:49, 18 April 2015 (UTC)

The best we can do is report the truth as best as we know it, and be open-minded to new information that can give us a better vision of the truth. As more "parts of the elephant" become known to us, the more accurate our "truth" becomes. Wbm1058 (talk) 14:28, 18 April 2015 (UTC)

WhisperbackEdit

  Hello. You have a new message at Kudpung's talk page. 17:10, 9 July 2015 (UTC)

So many things needing fixed, so little time time get to more than a fraction of them, sigh. Wbm1058 (talk) 15:06, 20 November 2015 (UTC)

Timeline of DOS operating systemsEdit

I remember that you once intended to take your Timeline of DOS operating systems article to featured status, but did not take time to familiarize yourself with the process. Looking at that article, the only thing that is not compliant with the featured list criteria is the lead section. Basically, the only thing required to promote it to FL status would be to expand the lead section by adding an introduction to DOS operating systems. After that, you are good to go and can nominate it according to the instructions on WP:FLC. (Since this article is a list, the Good Article process does not apply.) Good luck! sst 04:24, 17 October 2015 (UTC)

I see, apparently there is no "good list" equivalent to Good Article, so I can skip that step and go straight to becoming a member of Category:Featured lists, where around a couple dozen featured timelines can be found. Thanks! As I haven't made any significant updates to that since February, I suppose I'm due to get back to it and finish it off soon. Wbm1058 (talk) 11:40, 17 October 2015 (UTC)

Race Against the MachineEdit

Hi wbm, I see you mention this book on your user page. Does the main thesis have implications for how Wikipedia works, and if so, on what time scale? - Dank (push to talk) 15:57, 28 August 2016 (UTC)

A main thesis of the book is that accelerating technology improvements will reduce employment, and over time this will effect more higher-skilled occupations. We see this already with jobs coming back to the US from China... because they are replacing people with bots. Yes, a few more jobs for Americans who are skilled at bot development, operations and maintenance. But way fewer jobs than were displaced in China. Of course, at Wikipedia there are relatively few editors that work for money. We already have very intelligent bots such as ClueBot NG that help tremendously with tasks such as vandalism reversion. That one has over 4 million edits now! Bots also help with spelling corrections. There could be further enhancements to these tasks that could reduce the need for new page patrollers and spelling correctors. Time scale is dependent on volunteer contributions, or possible funding by the Wikimedia Foundation. wbm1058 (talk) 17:29, 28 August 2016 (UTC)
Thanks. The future seems to be coming at us pretty fast. I try to stay informed-but-neutral. - Dank (push to talk) 17:50, 28 August 2016 (UTC)

Birth dates in biographies and California Law AB-1687Edit

Here's an interesting news item: California Enacts Law Requiring IMDb to Remove Actor Ages on Request

I participated in an interesting conversation about this here. I'd be interested in hearing from others who are interested in this. What do you think? wbm1058 (talk) 22:16, 13 October 2016 (UTC)

Speaking of actors and birth dates... Can we remove the birth date from Vanessa Ferlito's page or lock it? Plenty of public sources cite 1977 yet someone (probably her PR) keeps reverting it back to 1980. IMDB doesn't fall in line. Suggestions? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 72.185.208.185 (talk) 03:19, 1 April 2017 (UTC)
Right, thanks. I don't like to see stuff I archived as resolved keep coming back as an issue. I see the TV Guide bio doesn't have a birth date anymore, while in my archive I reported that it did. I think pending changes protection is in order, as relying on watchlisting isn't giving us timely reversions. wbm1058 (talk) 02:18, 3 April 2017 (UTC)

Templates for deletion for deletionEdit

Implement multiple parameters to prefix: operator on fulltext searchesEdit

{{Search deletion discussions}} and {{Search prefixes}} and all that authors other stuff should probably be deleted after emailing him. His {{Create parameter string}} is used but not well.

For now, I'd fix wp: Deletion process § Search all deletion discussions with a search link for each of the fullpagenames in wp:Deletion process § Step-by-step instructions (all discussion types).

I would. And I'd be glad for an invite to help you with any queries or discussions on this matter. — Cpiral§Cpiral 05:57, 21 December 2016 (UTC)

See Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 61 § is there a way to search several sections with one search? – June 10–17, 2009
And User talk:Rainman § modification to search several Wikipedian sections at one time – June 15–17, 2009
And User talk:Stmrlbs/Archive/001 § multiple prefixes – June 15–17, 2009
June 17, 2009 Help:Searching documentation update, alas documentation of this multiple-prefixes-separated-by-pipes feature was removed on October 11, 2009 when this was rewritten, to try to improve usability
"To search multiple sections of Wikipedia with different prefixes, enter the different prefixes with a pipe delimiter."
"This should be especially useful for archive searching in concert with inputbox or searchbox."
@Cpiral: so clearly prefix did at least briefly take pipes. Unfortunately, the volunteer developer of that, Rainman, isn't active any more either, and I haven't been able to locate his code changes that implemented that feature. – wbm1058 (talk) 02:48, 30 December 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for the history lesson. Interesting. Maybe useful.
Anyway, for now we have wp:deletion process#Search all deletion discussions. Hope that helps. — Cpiral§Cpiral 07:59, 30 December 2016 (UTC)

History mergingEdit

Category:Possible cut-and-paste movesEdit

I saw your comment at category talk:Possible cut-and-paste moves. That's really interesting. So, Mikaey had himswlf requested the category to emptied. What's more, the task is even listed as a potential ine for AarghBot at its user page. So, why are u wasting ur time decatting pages manually? Why don't u nominate it for deletion. As u must be aware, Cydebot automatically empties all categories upon a CFD discussion closing with consensus to delete. Here, it's almost a G7 case - I don't see why anyone would object to the cat being deleted. Most of the entries are false positives and the ones wbich aren't are alrady listed at WP:WPHM. 103.6.159.72 (talk) 15:06, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

Five months after I made those comments, it was nominated for deletion: Wikipedia:Categories for discussion/Log/2016 July 12#Category:Possible cut-and-paste moves. I missed that discussion, which happened when I went on my summer break. Sigh, none of those voting keep are helping to clear it. I did an edit summary search and found that when I was last working this backlog on October 30, 2015 I got as far alphabetically as Rakim & Ken-Y (Ke) and when I resumed on January 19, 2017 the first one I did was Kadar Khan (Kh) so substantially nobody else has been working this in a meaningful way. I've been trying to find a way to more efficiently clear this. Cats for discussion is an area that I'm not very active in. wbm1058 (talk) 18:58, 20 January 2017 (UTC)
FInally, after slogging through this on-and-off for the past ~four months, this piece is   Done! – wbm1058 (talk) 21:03, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
I see you made a somewhat related bot request, Wikipedia:Bot requests#Bot for category history merges. I've thought about the possibility of admin-bots helping out with hist-merges in article-space, and a bot doing hist-merges in category-space probably wouldn't be all that different. – wbm1058 (talk) 20:23, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

BrfaEdit

Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/Merge bot 2

For an adminbot that's good to perform hundreds of thousands of admin actions, your BRFA, I apologise, is quite lacklustre. (I just fixed a big typo) I would suggest that you expand the function overview to completely describe everything the bot's gonna do. You see, you have to convince the BAG that you are responsible and capable of running a bot with advanced permissions. 103.6.159.74 (talk) 14:26, 28 January 2017 (UTC)

I am sure that Od Mishehu wanted you to revdelete cydebot's edit summary only when it contains the name of a now-vanished user. If the bot can't recognize such users or if it's too much trouble to implement, I'd suggest leaving out that part altogether. I personally don't see the need for doing that at all, since the vanished user's original username can anyway be known by looking at their rename log or just by reading the signatures on their talk page. In any case, revdeleting all of Cydebot's edit summaries makes no sense. 103.6.159.74 (talk) 14:32, 28 January 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for fixing my little mistake. I guess I was a little tired when I wrote that up. I trust that whichever BAG member reviews this will also read the longer linked bot-request page discussion, and ask me any questions they have. I'll just wait to see what questions they have, and then answer them. Some thought my self-nomination for RFA was lacklustre too, but I still managed to pass that. Regarding the revdeletes, I believe the thinking there is that we want to hide them preemptively in case anyone wants to vanish in the future. If not, then I'll need a list of usernames to check for, to determine which ones to hide. I think the idea is to make it harder to find vanished users. Also the list in the edit summary isn't necessary because all of the users named in it would now be in the merged edit history. But I'm ambivalent about the need to hide the edit summaries. You can bring that up on the bot requests or BRFA page to see whether there is consensus for hiding or not hiding. Hundreds of thousands, I guess you're right: 87,000 × 4 = 348,000. I'm sure the BAG will ask for shorter trial runs before they let me unleash it at full-throttle. wbm1058 (talk) 15:01, 28 January 2017 (UTC)

fixed another typo. 103.6.159.68 (talk) 06:16, 31 January 2017 (UTC)

TrialEdit

Your bot task has been approved for an extended trial. See here for details. Please take special note of the extended pause due to the lack of bot flag during the trial. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for your work. ~ Rob13Talk 03:15, 14 June 2017 (UTC)

Cats about 1921-1922 in TurkeyEdit

I see you have directed cat:1921-1922 establishments in Turkey to Cat:1921-1922 establishments in the Ottoman Empire. Well that requires some consideration. After 23 April 1920 the Ottoman Empire and Turkey were different states with different constitutions and different governments. It is true that the Republic was proclainmed in 1923, but even before the proclamation of the Republic, Turkey was a soverign state independent of the Ottoman Empire. Nedim Ardoğa (talk) 13:17, 16 June 2017 (UTC)

These automated administrative actions were performed as part of the bot trial authorized in the section above. All I did was to history-merge categories which had previously been renamed. wbm1058 (talk) 13:55, 16 June 2017 (UTC)
  1. Category:1920 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1920 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:11:32Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:11:37Z (5)
  2. Category:1915 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1915 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:11:18Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:11:27Z (9)
  3. Category:1914 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1914 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:11:08Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:11:13Z (5)
  4. Category:1913 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1913 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:10:57Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:11:03Z (6)
  5. Category:1912 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1912 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:10:46Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:10:52Z (6)
  6. Category:1909 disestablishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1909 disestablishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:10:35Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:10:41Z (6)
  7. Category:1922 establishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1922 establishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:10:15Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:10:31Z (16)
  8. Category:1921 establishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1921 establishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:09:56Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:10:10Z (14)
  9. Category:1920 establishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1920 establishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:09:24Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:09:51Z (27)
  10. Category:1919 establishments in the Ottoman Empire <-- Category:1919 establishments in Turkey 2015-02-26T22:09:13Z <-- 2015-02-26T22:09:19Z (6)

Bot task approvedEdit

Your recent bot task has been   Approved. Please see detailed comments at Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/Merge bot 2. Your bot should receive the sysop flag shortly. ~ Rob13Talk 15:33, 5 July 2017 (UTC)

Flagging has been complete. Please note, your bot account now qualifies for WP:2FA which I strongly recommend. You can use BotPasswords or OAUTH authentication to limit your bot's administrative permissions to the ones needed for the task. Once this task is completed, the +sysop flag should no longer be required and you can notify WP:BN to remove it. Thank you, — xaosflux Talk 15:43, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
  The Technical Barnstar
For operating Merge bot._

Marvellous Spider-Man 15:23, 16 August 2017 (UTC)

Those missing templatesEdit

Hi Wbm1058

I'm guessing that it was this edit[1] by you which produced the flurry of Category:ISO 639 name xyz-type categories currently listed at Special:WantedCategories. Is that right?

If so, is there any guidance on how to create them? It would be handy to have them cleared before the next update of Special:WantedCategories brings in another flood of new stuff. --BrownHairedGirl (talk) • (contribs) 00:06, 9 April 2017 (UTC)

@BrownHairedGirl: Right, this was my clunky attempt to solve a problem. See Template talk:ISO 639 name#Return empty string for codes not on the list. Sorry about cluttering up WantedCategories; that was a side-effect that I didn't think of. These categories are not actually supposed to be created, but rather templates with the same name. The idea was to avoid degrading the reader experience by showing redlink-templates, but provide an easier way for patrolling editors to find the problem. I guess I should revert that, but it would be nice to replace it with a better solution, if we can come up with one. wbm1058 (talk) 00:30, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
Sorry, my post was a bit unclear. What I meant was: any guidance on how to create the templates? I'd be happy to help if I knew how.
This looks fine as a way of getting a list of needed templates. But now that Special:WantedCategories has created the list, it would be helpful if the template could stop generating these categories, prferably before the next update (which is likely on 11 April or 12 April).
I have gotten a it of practice at quickly grabbing a categ list from the oddly-formatted Special:WantedCategories, so I made a list of the ISO 639 categs, at User:Wbm1058/ISO 639 categs. I hope that helps; if it's a nuisance, pls delete it. --BrownHairedGirl (talk) • (contribs) 10:04, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
BrownHairedGirl, this is kind of like the blind leading the blind to repair issues caused by other blind. There is Category:Articles containing unknown ISO 639 language template, which was created by Jonesey95. Then there is also Category:Lang-x templates with other than ISO 639. Some editors have used these "language" templates for dialects of languages that do not have ISO 639 codes, thus the attempts of templates to look up ISO 639 codes fail with errors implying an ISO 639 template needs to be created. Well, there is none to be created. My solution for cases like that is edits like THIS and THIS. We need to sort these dialect "languages" out from the real languages that actually have ISO 639 codes where a template really does need to be created. I'm not an expert in any of this, and got involved with it when the new Category:Pages with template loops was created, and that snagged the poor design of these "language" templates. See also Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 154#Category:Pages with template loops for background on what led me into this rabbit-hole. Template:Language with name and Template:Lang were never intended to be used for dialects, but how can we expect editors other than the ones who designed these templates to know that? – wbm1058 (talk) 12:01, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
What an almighty mess. My immediate question is to ask what purpose this whole system serves, and whether any of this necessary? I know little about the topic, so I make no attempt to try answering that pair of questions ... but I do think that when something gets so complex, it's time to re-evaluate the cost-benefit ratios.
I'm afraid that I have neither the skills to get that deep into these templates nor the inclination to do so, so I think i'd better withdraw my offer to help. Sorry!
In the meantime, please could you revert the edit which populated the categs? It does seem to have served its purpose, and the ongoing slog of clearing the 100–200 daily additions to Special:WantedCategories is impeded by these categs. --BrownHairedGirl (talk) • (contribs)
BrownHairedGirl, you are wise to move on to somewhere that makes more sense. The whole lang template system is a bit of a mess and in need of a rethink. In the meantime, I am slowly (five weeks so far) clearing out the errors and creating needed templates based on Category:Articles containing unknown ISO 639 language template. I should be done in a couple of weeks.
In answer to your "what purpose this whole system serves", tagging text with {{lang}} can affect how the enclosed text is rendered. It also adds a tracking category, which may be useful to some editors. – Jonesey95 (talk) 14:50, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
  • I'm not sure edits like this are the optimal solution – whether something is a language or a dialect is irrelevant, we want the text string to be formatted properly and bypassing {{Language with name}} doesn't help with that. I've had a look at User:Wbm1058/ISO 639 categs and most of these appear to either contain typos (in which case they need to be fixed in the specific pages that use the lang template), or to be of the type aaa-Bbb, which is the format for the language (aaa) + script(Yyyy) combination. Pinging Erutuon whom I've seen working on this. – Uanfala (talk) 14:57, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
I am working on Category:Articles containing unknown ISO 639 language template and expect to have it mostly cleared out in a few days. When I started a month ago, there were something like 2,000 pages in the category. It's down to 332 right now. – Jonesey95 (talk) 16:24, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
I would replace all the templates with modules. The module could check to see if the code string is valid character-wise – either xyz or xyz-Abcd – using regular expressions. It could also check if the script and language codes are correct using the MediaWiki language library or a data module that lists language codes. And it could create linked language names by adding the articles as an entry in the data module. Wiktionary does all this language-related stuff using modules (see wikt:Module:languages, wikt:Module:scripts, wikt:Module:script utilities). I've begun such a module at Module:Language (see also Module:Language/scripts/data), though it does not currently do everything mentioned here. — Eru·tuon 18:03, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
Sounds great to me. I see that you have already seen this discussion from six months ago. – Jonesey95 (talk) 19:56, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
If you need any help, you can ask for it at Wikipedia:Lua/To do. While I've self-taught myself enough PHP to support two bots and even write one from scratch, I've yet to make time to study Lua, so I can only do so much with that. wbm1058 (talk) 20:43, 10 April 2017 (UTC)

Task to switch between new and old interface of "search for contributions" tool rejectedEdit

Hello. For notification, the task to switch between new and old interface of user contributions page was rejected. Izno suggested personal gadget/script or something. I would prefer that the switch between old and new be proposed at WP:village pump (proposals). Thoughts? --George Ho (talk) 16:12, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

George, I wouldn't know how to write a script to change the interface, and I'm not keen on switching between two less-than-ideal interfaces. There should only need be one, fully-functional interface that's adequate for efficiently handling all use cases. What we have now is not such an interface, and we should focus on getting that one improved. I'm frustrated with the current means of interacting with the developers – there is a confusing array of different "phabricators" on this, I'm not keen on the phabricator editing interface, and I don't know whether I should add to an existing phab or start a new one, so I prefer using Village Pump where I can use Wikitext. As I need to use this interface to perform specific tasks, I may report issues I have with the current interface that make it more difficult to get the job done. – wbm1058 (talk) 15:55, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
Hmm... How about Wikipedia:Village pump (idea lab), where we can discuss the user contributions interface? --George Ho (talk) 16:03, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
Maybe. But, per "defines a solution rather than a problem" I don't know if solutions developed in the idea lab would be welcomed by the developers. I'm not happy with the "handcuffs" placed on us with regard to modes of interaction with developers. Maybe if I just present problems to WP:VPT, and let them either tell me how to achieve my desired result, or make changes to the interface that allow me to achieve my desired result. wbm1058 (talk) 16:15, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
No offense, but IMO I don't think WP:VPT is a place for general feedback on any software or something. VPT is used for technical difficulties, bugs, glitches, and other tech issues that need immediate attention (not sure whether I phrased it correctly). One complaint describing none of these, and they'll either advise you to write a personal script/gadget or write one for you as they did before. But you're welcome to choose any appropriate venue. I still think the "idea lab" is best bet. --George Ho (talk) 16:33, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
At the top of WP:VPT there is a notice "Bug reports and feature requests should be made in Phabricator" but that's just redirecting us back to an interface I find less than ideal. I don't understand why they have such an aversion to Wikitext. I think that's easiest as all active editors are intimately familiar with it. Almost everything the developers in general try to pawn off as "easier" to use, I find to be more of a pain. But venue should be secondary to getting the issues raised, so if you want to start an idea lab thread, feel free. wbm1058 (talk) 16:45, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
On second thought, I just realized that you can go to meta:Tech and then post your concerns there. The developers changed the interface all over the wikis. --George Ho (talk) 17:04, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
I see, meta:Tech#"Search for contributions" date range. So, let's let the latest bug fix settle in before we try using it again. That page seems like a good place for reporting issues with the Special:Contributions interface, as I hate to go to the trouble to submit a new bug report, only to find that one's already been submitted. wbm1058 (talk) 17:25, 3 August 2017 (UTC)

The major bug is fixed. George Ho (talk) 06:52, 5 August 2017 (UTC)

Great! I complained about the new widget date-picking interface after futzing with it and not figuring out how to efficiently make it work to actually select a specific date range. I assumed that it was working as designed, and that I was just too dense to figure out the secret for making it work. So after this bug fix, which I see involves other developers than those designing the widgets (go figure, I don't exactly understand the bug report), I'm happy to report that the widget now works for me with minimal fuss. There's more than one way to skin this cat, so while this might not be my preferred way, I'm not going to fuss about it much if it works. wbm1058 (talk) 13:42, 15 August 2017 (UTC)

 There is still an open task to consolidate the "date pickers".

 @George Ho: FYI. After letting this settle in for several months, I'm still not satisfied with its behavior. I've entered a new Phabricator task. wbm1058 (talk) 19:37, 19 December 2017 (UTC)

Old rfd on talk pagesEdit

Hi and thank you for your help at RfD, it's appreciated! Just a note though, that after a discussion is closed, nowadays it's usually expected from the closer to place the {{Old rfd}} note on the talk page (of course, unless the redirect was deleted). If you use the XFDcloser script, it will do that for you. – Uanfala 12:52, 8 August 2017 (UTC)

Thanks. I wasn't aware that there was a script for that! wbm1058 (talk) 12:56, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
Its capabilities were relatively recently extended to RfD. It's quite useful and saves a lot of work, especially if there are several redirects and the outcome is the same for all of them. – Uanfala 13:00, 8 August 2017 (UTC)

Talk:AR-15 (disambiguation)Edit

Can you look into the "Update Redirect" discussion on the Talk:AR-15 (disambiguation) page. I don't like where User:Shaded0 is taking this discussion.--Limpscash (talk) 05:27, 9 November 2017 (UTC)

Can you look at the Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents#RAF910 discussion where User:Shaded0 is making some very serious accusations. He tried to ping you but I don't think it worked.--Limpscash (talk) 06:00, 11 November 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for your recent articles on the noticeboard page and the talk page discussions. I am at a bit of a loss on what the correct action should be taken next. The stated points seem to be reasonable arguments, but I feel like this argument is going to keep going in circles. Take a look also at Talk:Colt AR-15. Does it make sense continue pursing AR-15 arguments, seek additional input? I feel like I might have not too much to add here besides another vote for consensus, but any further discussion seems that it will likely further inflame opinions rather than coming to some sort of resolution. Shaded0 (talk) 20:59, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
Shaded0, I'm not sure what your goals are here, i.e. specifically what you would like to accomplish. I added the {{WikiProject content advice}} template at the top of Wikipedia:WikiProject Firearms § Guidelines since that advice section co-mingles both style and content advice. My sense is that you are more concerned with content than style, so it might be helpful to spit that section into separate style and content sections, if you want to focus on one but not the other. Looking at Category:WikiProject content advice I see that there are relatively few topic areas where such content-specific advice is given. I think the recent changes to Wikipedia:WikiProject Firearms § Criminal use were not well thought out and too-hastily pushed through. I prefer the more longstanding previous version of that advice, and would have opposed this change. I'd like to revert to the former version. I suppose the way to overrule that local consensus would be to appeal to a wider audience with a request for comment. I'm not sure there is a well-trodden path for such appeals; it's something I'm not that familiar with as I don't often engage in high-level content debates. In any event, the Bushmaster XM-15 article still has Notoriety, Sandy Hook, and Legality sections, so if this advice-change was an attempt to remove all that in favor of nothing more than "see also" links, the advice change hasn't stuck in that article. Given that, I'm not sure how much time it's worth to pursue this. wbm1058 (talk) 17:39, 18 November 2017 (UTC)

HEADS UP!Edit

We are being targeted by someone call Lightbreather on Twitter. Please see the sites below:

https://twitter.com/Lightbreather?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://lightbreather.com/wikipedias-promotion-of-pro-gun-lingo-more-about-ar-15-v-modern-sporting-rifle-e3b6a7625621

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is this the same Wikipedia User:Lightbreather that has been blocked?--Limpscash (talk) 06:37, 5 December 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for the heads up. I had not seen that blog. I've heard of LB but am not familiar with the details of her block. She says she's a Cronkite School alumna, and I can believe that as it shows in the quality of her blog. I welcome good criticism, and she makes some good points. No comment on the merits of her arbitration case, but, in general it's a shame when we lose editors like this for whatever reason.
Here's the 36 edits I made on November 7 related to this. It's not immediately apparent from that how I became involved in this. I patrol Category:Articles with redirect hatnotes needing review. This 6 November 2017 edit which changed the target of AR-15 caused Colt AR-15 to land in that category by rendering its hatnote {{Redirect|AR-15}} untruthful. When I work that category, I determine how to fix it; usually that's done with only an edit or two – it's an unusual case where I end up making as many as 36 edits to correct a navigation structure that's so badly munged. LB helps explain how it got that way. This was just the beginning of my involvement in this topic area to date. A couple days later, in respose to #Talk:AR-15 (disambiguation), I made 7 more edits. Then a comment that basically wrapped up an AN/I incident.
All of this participation is time-consuming. I'm not exactly happy with the status quo, there seems a strong case that AR-15 has become a genericized trademark, and that "modern sporting rifle" is an invented term designed to forestall that genericization. So LB shouldn't take my edits as an endorsement of the status quo. I'm keeping this on my back burner. wbm1058 (talk) 02:46, 6 December 2017 (UTC)

Please take noteEdit

Greetings! I have re-copied your prior comment supporting or opposing the move of Modern sporting rifle to AR-15 style rifle to a new Requested Move section here: Talk:Modern sporting rifle#Requested move 22 February 2018.

I wanted to stop by and give you this courtesy notice, in case you want to add, delete, or amend your comments in any way. Regards, AzureCitizen (talk) 03:44, 22 February 2018 (UTC)

Awwww....Edit

...please don't give up on us, yet. 😞 I know you're busy, and I'm not expecting you to devote a whole lot of time to this project, but your input is highly beneficial and I was hoping you would keep helping us work through some of the kinks when you can, especially regarding admin factors we know little to nothing about. What we're hoping to accomplish will focus primarily on clarification and consistency in our WP:Blocking policy with the ultimate goal being editor retention. Atsme📞📧 02:02, 10 January 2018 (UTC)

I've had some ideas about this on my back burner. Posting some relevant links here. wbm1058 (talk) 01:20, 18 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello wbmEdit

Hi Wbm, hope you're doing well. I noticed you declined the move I had requested. I have initiated a discussion at Talk:Synchronised_swimming#Making Artistic swimming the primary article for any opposes to the proposed move. I shall contact you again in a week or so if there's no opposition. Warmly, Lourdes 03:16, 25 January 2018 (UTC)

TOC experimentsEdit

I tried putting it after the first paragraph. That seems to be the best look. Free-roaming horse management in North America Lynn (SLW) (talk) 20:09, 20 February 2018 (UTC)

Scheduled monuments in MendipEdit

Thanks for your fixes on Scheduled monuments in Mendip. I don't quite understand the code of what you are doing but if it is about the number of reference templates breaking the maximum size, would your fix work on Grade II* listed buildings in South Somerset where the last few references don't display - possibly for the same reason?— Rod talk 08:19, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Hi Rod, yes, similar issues there, though InternetArchiveBot hasn't visited that page recently. There is a discussion about the solution to this at User talk:cyberpower678/Archive 60#English Heritage website changed the URL syntax for accessing its site database. – wbm1058 (talk) 12:52, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Bill of rights pageEdit

Thank you for the changes you made to the hatnote on the Bill of rights article. I think it looks perfect! Rockstonetalk to me! 18:59, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

  How about a Wikipedia Editors' Bill of Rights? wbm1058 (talk) 19:00, 25 June 2019 (UTC)
With the current situation with Fram, that sounds like a great idea.  . Rockstonetalk to me! 19:20, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

Mass removal of cleanup tagsEdit

Hello. I noticed that you recently removed a large number of {{cleanup}} tags dating back over 10 years. As you noted, these tags were indeed stale, and didn't have reasons listed, but I would say that in most of those cases, the need for cleanup was completely obvious from a cursory glance at the rest of the article. As the blurb for the "Articles needing cleanup" category states: "If you're sure the article has been cleaned up, addressing any obvious flaws as well as any specific problems mentioned on the talk page, feel free to remove the tag. There's not much harm in leaving it on if you aren't certain what to do; the tag will alert someone else to come by later and check up on the article." I spend most of my time on wiki working through these articles trying to sort them out, and without those tags, the article are now "on the loose" in the wikipedia with no warning for readers of their poor quality or way of editors finding them to address their problems. Please bear in mind before deleting any more that editors do actually use these tags and categories. Cheers. Jdcooper (talk) 23:33, 24 July 2019 (UTC)

Hi Jdcooper, OK. Here are my relevant 34 edits. I removed a total of 31 {{cleanup}} tags. I did notice that several had been proposed for deletion, and I suppose by removing the tags I'm keeping them from someone else noticing them and putting a PROD tag on the top. Not sure why anyone would want to spend much time to cleanup up a page that was proposed for deletion. I did make a few obvious fixes, but feel free to review them, and if you restore the template and add a reason to it, please also update the date to the current month, which will clear them out of the back end of the queue. I also noticed that in the talk archives the possibility of using a bot to remove these tags had been discussed. But, I'll move on for now to resume working on my more usual tasks, and maybe check back in on this later. – wbm1058 (talk) 00:19, 25 July 2019 (UTC)
Yeah, but the problem is articles like Dick Brooks (magician) where the creator has now removed the PROD tag and a horrible mess of an article is left untagged. I've gone through and added more specific tags to the ones with obvious problems, but I feel like dumping them in the July 2019 cohort (though that is what I've done) will just leave them unloved for even longer. The reason I poke about in this area of the encyclopaedia is specifically to find the long-term worst articles. But there are always plenty more repositories of such articles, obviously! Have a nice day. Jdcooper (talk) 22:56, 25 July 2019 (UTC)

List of shipwrecks in April 1917Edit

Re your edits to remove the list of shipwrecks in April 1917 from the template limit exceeded category, probably the easiest way is by replacing {{flagcountry|UKGBI|civil}} with [[File:Civil Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg|22px]] [[United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland|United Kingdom]]. This produces the same result visually. The UK civil flag is likely to be the most used in any shipwreck list at least until the 1950s, so changing the flag removes a large number of templates and guards against the list subsequently falling into the category again. AFAIK, no other shipwreck lists fall into the template limit exceeded category, but if you do come across any others, give me a shout and I'll fix the issue. Mjroots (talk) 07:41, 29 July 2019 (UTC)

@Mjroots: I don't know about that being the "easiest way". To unpack {{flagcountry}} I needed to make a series of three substitutions, which left behind a bunch of programming logic (#if and #ifeq statements) transcluded into the article (see my recent edits to List of shipwrecks in April 1917). It's not immediately clear whether making your suggested edit loses any of that embedded functionality, though it seems not. Whereas by simply bypassing a template shell that transcludes the output of a Lua module, I'm guaranteed not to lose any embedded functionality. I think the "best" solution would be to rewrite at least some of the template logic into a Lua module, and someday I'll get around to becoming more proficient with Lua so I can more readily do that.
But there's more than one way to get the job done. Feel free to revert my edits and solve the issue another way, if you feel that's better. – wbm1058 (talk) 12:19, 29 July 2019 (UTC)
Agree that there's often more than one way to get the job done. As I understand it, there is a finite number of templates that can be used in an article. Not sure of the number but being computer code it's probably a power of 2 (1,024, 2,048, 4,096 etc). Changing the flags in the way I described does remover a larg number of templates from the article. I'll not revert your changes as they had the desired effect, but I feel that the article is probably still very near the template limit. Should it fall into the category again, then we'll change the flags. Mjroots (talk) 13:54, 29 July 2019 (UTC)
@Mjroots: FYI. There are several technical limits. The limit this article hit was the Post-expand include size. Currently the article includes (transcludes) 2,007,669 bytes, and the limit is 2,097,152 bytes. So yes, it is still close to the limit. You can see this in Show preview, under "Parser profiling data" (help) – you may need to click on that if it isn't showing by default. wbm1058 (talk) 14:12, 29 July 2019 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

  The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar
Your bot that was launched back in 2014, saved my bacon :D Birdymckee (talk) 20:22, 30 July 2019 (UTC)
Well thank you. My Bot1058 launched in January 2014 and made over 16,000 edits that month; they were just repairing bad links for the spam blacklist, so I have no idea which of those edits might have saved your bacon. Or maybe you're referring to one of its newer tasks that have launched since 2016. My other two bots launched in 2012 and 2013. Hard to believe it's been that long already, but my RMCD bot will celebrate its seventh birthday a month from now. wbm1058 (talk) 20:55, 30 July 2019 (UTC)

President of Australia and President of CanadaEdit

Hi Wbm1058, just wanted to let you know that I removed President of Australia from President of Canada and visa versa. Since disambiguation pages are intended to help readers distinguish between articles with similar titles, these links did not seem helpful. Leschnei (talk) 13:26, 3 August 2019 (UTC)

The Standard Motor CompanyEdit

I have just found this puzzling notification yet all seems to be well. Can you tell me what is planned in more detail? Thanks

The Wikipedia page Standard Motor Company has been deleted on
7 August 2019 by Wbm1058, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Motor_Company.
Editor's summary: set up for history merge
Contact the editor:
mail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:EmailUser/Wbm1058
wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wbm1058

Eddaido (talk) 12:34, 7 August 2019 (UTC)

I'm working the queue at Wikipedia:WikiProject History Merge; more specifically this was #132 on the list @ Wikipedia:WikiProject History Merge/02.

My actions are recorded in the Merge log

I actually merged only one revision; you can see at the start of the page history there are two identical revisions by the same editor; I merged the (first) edit with the 08:50, 28 November 2003 timestamp. Arguably this wasn't really necessary in this particular case as there was already full attribution recorded for that editor, but I performed the merge anyway so that it wouldn't reappear in that infrequently generated bot-generated report, which was created by Mikaey who hasn't edited since January. – wbm1058 (talk) 13:25, 7 August 2019 (UTC)

Thank you for your very full explanation. Eddaido (talk) 13:29, 7 August 2019 (UTC)

Bots Newsletter, August 2019Edit

Bots Newsletter, August 2019

Greetings!

Here is the 7th issue of the Bots Newsletter, a lot happened since last year's newsletter! You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding/removing your name from this list.

Highlights for this newsletter include:

ARBCOM
  • Nothing of note happened. Just like we like it.
BAG

BAG members are expected to be active on Wikipedia to have their finger on the pulse of the community. After two years without any bot-related activity (such as posting on bot-related pages, posting on a bot's talk page, or operating a bot), BAG members will be retired from BAG following a one-week notice. Retired members can re-apply for BAG membership as normal if they wish to rejoin the BAG.

We thank former members for their service and wish Madman a happy retirement. We note that Madman and BU Rob13 were not inactive and could resume their BAG positions if they so wished, should their retirements happens to be temporary.

BOTDICT

Two new entries feature in the bots dictionary

BOTPOL
  • Activity requirements: BAG members now have an activity requirement. The requirements are very light, one only needs to be involved in a bot-related area at some point within the last two years. For purpose of meeting these requirements, discussing a bot-related matter anywhere on Wikipedia counts, as does operating a bot (RFC).
  • Copyvio flag: Bot accounts may be additionally marked by a bureaucrat upon BAG request as being in the "copyviobot" user group on Wikipedia. This flag allows using the API to add metadata to edits for use in the New pages feed (discussion). There is currently 1 bot using this functionality.
  • Mass creation: The restriction on mass-creation (semi-automated or automated) was extended from articles, to all content-pages. There are subtleties, but content here broadly means whatever a reader could land on when browsing the mainspace in normal circumstances (e.g. Mainspace, Books, most Categories, Portals, ...). There is also a warning that WP:MEATBOT still applies in other areas (e.g. Redirects, Wikipedia namespace, Help, maintenance categories, ...) not explicitely covered by WP:MASSCREATION.
BOTREQs and BRFAs

As of writing, we have...

  • 20 active BOTREQs, please help if you can!
  • 14 open BRFAs and 1 BRFA in need of BAG attention (see live status).
  • In 2018, 96 bot task were approved. An AWB search shows approximately 29 were withdrawn/expired, and 6 were denied.
  • Since the start of 2019, 97 bot task were approved. Logs show 15 were withdrawn/expired, and 15 were denied.
  • 10 inactive bots have been deflagged (see discussion). 5 other bots have been deflagged per operator requests or similar (see discussion).
New things
Other discussions

These are some of the discussions that happened / are still happening since the last Bots Newsletter. Many are stale, but some are still active.

See also the latest discussions at the bot noticeboard.

Thank you! edited by: Headbomb 17:24, 7 August 2019 (UTC)


(You can subscribe or unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding or removing your name from this list.)

FYIEdit

I was an "official" OTRS agent for years. Missvain (talk) 17:27, 19 August 2019 (UTC)

@Missvain: sorry, I stand corrected. When I checked the list, I neglected to look for your former user name. If you can fix this, feel free. BTW, I liked your old name better; your current ID doesn't strike me as very flattering. wbm1058 (talk) 18:36, 19 August 2019 (UTC)

Category:Redirects from incorrect disambiguationEdit

Note to myself. On my back burner is to followup on the purpose for Category:Redirects from incorrect disambiguation. See the edit history of Assassin (movie). Also User talk:Anomie/linkclassifier#Some suggestions. Hopefully will follow up on this a few moons from now, after working through several higher-priority tasks. wbm1058 (talk) 21:28, 21 August 2019 (UTC)

Iowa straw pollsEdit

My concern derived from seeing some references on the web to the current poll using the old title … but I appreciate your perspective on this. Humanengr (talk) 03:04, 28 August 2019 (UTC)

Happy Adminship Anniversary!Edit

Thanks, CAPTAIN RAJU. Wow, it's been four years already; I'm ready to graduate! Wow, you've been quite prolific... 250,000 edits since you started editing on 17 June 2015... just two months before I became an admin. wbm1058 (talk) 15:37, 30 August 2019 (UTC)

Ohio Wikimedians User Group: September 2019 newsletterEdit

General Updates

  • WikiProject Cleveland Museum of ArtKevin (SuperHamster) and Maria (Rimmel.Edits) have been collaborating with Neal Stimler and the Cleveland Museum of Art (CMA) to launch WikiProject Cleveland Museum of Art on the English Wikipedia! Back in January, the CMA announced its conversion into an Open Access institution—and part of this initiative included the upload of thousands of photos and Wikidata items on CMA artworks. This WikiProject has been created to improve Wikipedia's coverage of topics related to the CMA, such as artworks and artists featured in the Museum's collections, while being able to leverage the great resources that have been released into the public domain. If you'd like to join in, please sign up to be a member here. We have an expanding list of articles to create here.
  • Mailing list live! — We now have admin access to the previously-deprecated Wikimedia-US-OH mailing list. All members are encouraged to subscribe here. Anyone who would like to communicate to subscribed members can email wikimedia-us-oh@lists.wikimedia.org.
  • Membership List — Reminder that our membership list has been revamped and supports the addition of new details (such as name, picture, location, and titles). Members are welcome to update their entry if they wish (all details are optional).

Movement Strategy

  • The Movement Strategy Working Groups have created their recommendations, located here. Community input will be accepted until September 15, so if you would like to provide feedback, be sure to do so in the next couple weeks.

Upcoming and Ongoing Events

  • Wiki Loves Monuments is back in the United States for 2019. Through the end of September, upload your photos of registered historical sites to the Commons to help document our history and illustrate Wikipedia - and have a shot at winning the national contest. If you're interested in participating, a guide to finding historic sites in Ohio is available here.
  • WikiConference North America 2019 is headed to Boston from November 8th through 11th! If you are interested in attending, both session proposals and scholarship applications are open through September 20th.

Recent Events

  • In April, two edit-a-thons were hosted at the Ohio State University:
    • The Female and Under-represented Language Scientists edit-a-thon, hosted by the Hispanic Linguistic Colloquium in collaboration with the Buckeye Language Network (BLN) Student Association. The goal of the event was to improve articles on under-represented language scientists. 11 editors contributed 50+ edits that consisted of 1.54k words across 24 articles, including one new article.
    • The Spanish & Portuguese Edit-A-Thon, hosted by students from the Spanish and Portuguese department (Dona pipoca and Caesarologia, with support from SuperHamster). The edit-a-thon focused on expanding coverage of Spanish and Portuguese topics on the English Wikipedia, primarily by translating articles from Spanish/Portuguese to English. In doing so, attendees sharpened their Spanish/Portuguese skills, gained experience editing Wikipedia, and learned about new topics. 23 editors contributed 180+ edits that consisted of 15.8k words across 70 articles, including four new articles.
  • Wikimania 2019 took place in Stockholm this year, with several Ohio Wikimedians attending. If you're interested in some of the sessions, many of them were recorded and are available on the Commons here.
 
Have something for the next newsletter? Add it to our October 2019 draft.

On behalf of the Ohio Wikimedians User Group, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 04:52, 3 September 2019 (UTC)

Maybe one day in P.R.Edit

  Biked in 50 states!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdkqABDETY

Hoping one day you make it to P.R. - Jose Valiente (radio MC) and bike shop owner's son- can hook you up- just need a translator. The Eloquent Peasant (talk) 18:08, 18 September 2019 (UTC)

RangpurEdit

Hello, you have recently reverted my move on Rangpur. If we browse through google news, all the results points at Rangpur, Bangladesh. Would it satisfy WP:PRIMARYTOPIC if we open a RM? Za-ari-masen (talk) 14:54, 21 September 2019 (UTC)

Za-ari-masen, sure, feel free to start a discussion; after a week it should be determined by a neutral editor whether the city in Bangladesh is the primary topic. But, keep in mind that this is an encyclopedia, not Wikinews, and the other main criterion for deciding whether a topic is primary is: A topic is primary for a term with respect to long-term significance if it has substantially greater enduring notability and educational value than any other topic associated with that term. Rangpur (fruit) and the historical site Rangpur, India are not likely to be frequently in the news, but nonetheless these appear to be important topics of long-term significance for an encyclopedia to cover. – wbm1058 (talk) 15:26, 21 September 2019 (UTC)

Re:"Laicization" listed at Redirects for discussionEdit

Dear User:Wbm1058, thank you for your message on my talk page. I have left my opinion at the discussion that you initiated and have also reverted the article to the WP:STATUSQUO version. I hope this helps. With regards, AnupamTalk 20:01, 22 September 2019 (UTC)

Disambiguation RM discussionEdit

Since you participated in this discussion about disambiguation pages just shy of two months ago, would you be willing to voice your thoughts on this move discussion that deals with the same issue? I believe you would have something to say about it. Eventhorizon51 (talk) 19:47, 9 October 2019 (UTC)

Finnic peoplesEdit

Hi, thank you very much for your help on the Finnic peoples article a while ago. An editor has renamed the article back to Baltic Finns now, quoting information I cannot verify, because they have not provided sources. I cannot rename the article back on my own because they've also created another Finnic peoples (disambiguation) page. I have added more sources on the talk page, but the editor has provided no sources of their own to support the move. Are you able to chip in and offer your opinon? Thank you. Blomsterhagens (talk) 16:05, 15 October 2019 (UTC)

Unfortunately, Blomsterhagens can't be bothered to read the refs in the leads of the articles they've edited, and claims that they don't exist. I welcome an informed discussion, but this is ridiculous. — kwami (talk) 19:23, 15 October 2019 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

  The Teamwork Barnstar
For your recent work on Mark Zaid. Bearian (talk) 15:20, 16 October 2019 (UTC)

A bowl of strawberries for you!Edit

  On Miguel Tanfelix re the template - this unfortunate error was my responsibility. I was previewing the table in my own sandbox (which has not been saved). In spite of the table being fixed with relative ease as it turned out, I've copied the whole text without realising the template was also highlighted. Iggy (Swan) (What I've been doing to maintain Wikipedia) 22:00, 18 October 2019 (UTC)
Return to the user page of "Wbm1058".