Open main menu

User talk:This, that and the other

Replacement filing cabinet.svg
Archives

Yes, I get the Signpost delivered right to my discussion doorstep!

There are some archives of this page. See the orange box at right.

Contents

Bug 5645Edit

Saw this bug report over the signature button appearing in namespaces that editor's would rather it didn't and figured I should mention the "obvious"

Just add

		'filters': [ 'body.ns-talk, body.ns-4' ],

to the signature button's entry in jquery.wikiEditor.toolbar.config.js and your done. The same approach is used for the references button (see that same .js file if you don't believe me)

If you want to allow the signature button's generation in more namespaces, just add their numeric designation(s) to the filter using body.ns-4 in the above as your example (no comma after the last entry btw).

You can also exclude button generation for certain namespaces this way....

		'filters': [ 'body:not(.ns-2, .ns-8, .ns-828)' ],

Hope that helps -- George Orwell III (talk) 22:54, 27 July 2014 (UTC)

That implementation method was not something I was aware of, so thanks for enlightening me :) However I don't think it is necessarily appropriate for this situation. It wouldn't be right to hard-code the list of namespaces in this JavaScript code, and it also seems a bit wasteful to be stringing together a 'body.ns-' + namespaceId type thing when we can just delete the entry from the JavaScript object.
The main issue surrounding this bug is that no-one can agree on how we should decide which namespaces get the sig button. I would appreciate it if you could contribute, based on the three options I outlined in comment 19 of the bug. — This, that and the other (talk) 07:31, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
Same old, same old. No-one agrees because each has their own embedded bias/perspective by now if they've been a regualar for any noteworthy amount of time by now. I dare say even your poo-poo'ing of the existing filter settings has some trace degree of that too.

Look, it seems like all the wiki-projects at least share the same ~17(I forget what the right # is) core namespaces - that's all you folks should be discussing a default setting for. Period.

Half of those are talk-pages so body.ns-talk or some similar solution should allow the button for those talk namespaces. That leaves "you" with what? ~8 core namespaces shared acrosss all the wiki-projects to bicker over? Out of those remaining namespaces, only the Project: ns (ns-4) would have any legit reason to host talk-page like discussions (a la Village Pump for example) where the button is useful.

Get into the namespaces numbered ~100 or higher from one Wiki-domain to the next, and you'll find using content namespaces to include/exclude button generation will not be as neatly uniform as the core namespaces are. This area is where 'ickypedia blinders' cause developers to make changes that typically don't go over well @ any project BUT Wikipedia or Commons (I can almost bet next week's pay-check that whatever solution is applied at the end of the day, it will conflict with the existing ability to use the filter).

My vote is to set a default using whatever manner or method makes the most sense for the core namespaces that all wikis share and leave the far lower trafficked assignable namespaces out of it - let folks deal with it or solve it on their own locally if the presence of the button so annoying to them. Prost. :) -- George Orwell III (talk) 08:52, 28 July 2014 (UTC)

We want to be able to configure this behind the scenes on a per-wiki basis. For example, Meta uses signatures in the main namespace, while this wiki does not. It's more about how to determine exactly how this configuration interacts with other wiki elements. For instance, does the presence of __NEWSECTIONLINK__ indicate we should allow the signature button on that page? I don't know the answer to that.
I should also stress that this relates to the MediaWiki software in general, which is used by many others besides the WMF (for example, a lot of companies use MediaWiki internally for planning and collaboration between staff). We need a solution that will work out-of-the-box for all wikis, as well as to be configurable by the server administrator as required. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:43, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
I think you answered your own question - especially if your rationale goes beyond the Wiki foundation projects and into the "commercial" aspects of the software. Again the core namespaces are not likely not be re-tasked into blogs or newsfeeds but additional namespaces might be. If that rationale is true, the logical approach would be set only the .ns-talk namespaces as the extension's default for sig. button generation while leaving deviation or modification of said default a matter left to local administration to wrangle with post-deployment. -- George Orwell III (talk) 23:15, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
Also, I don't think I'm "poo-poo'ing" the existing settings, insofar as there are none. The status quo is to show the signature button in all namespaces, which seems rather inadequate. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:43, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
Well that point on 'showing in all namespaces' goes back to the rather bloated default package of defaults loaded with WikiEditor and the hoops one has to jump through just to customize the basics that are sold as "tools" in a tool-bar. For example, I can appreciate the need to cover Asian character sets along with the others but there should be a way for at least the local administration if not User:s themselves to pick and choose individual sets. Sure, one can add characters to existing sets and add entirely new sets but there is no way to prevent sets in the existing defaults from loading every time the tab is selected - well at least I can't find a way other than removing the entire booklet and rebuilding it without the unwanted sets (I think this is due to the setting 'deferLoad': true, in that same .js mentioned above usurping anything I might have set to removeFromToolbar in my local .js file(s)). If you know better, please, I'm I dying to find out how its done.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that its great to incorporate defaults that allow for a positive "out-of-box experience" but they should not be so embedded in the module that customizing/deviating from those defaults necessitates the negation then duplication of the original coding involved. As the move to more mobile platforms plays out and/or the need for screen-space management increases, it seems things like which default loaded buttons (or tabs) you want loaded by default in which namespace scenario(s) is something that should be standardized in one's User: preferences rather than locked into additional scripting and/or patching as those options currently seem to be. -- George Orwell III (talk) 23:15, 28 July 2014 (UTC)

FtCGEdit

I loveFtCG, but it would be nice if it could delete templates like {{Category ordered by date|Files licensed by third parties|2013|08|13}}. Thanks! (tJosve05a (c) 00:09, 1 August 2014 (UTC)

Hi Josve05a, I'm really sorry it's taken me this long to answer! Do you think FtCG should remove all invocations of the template "Category ordered by date", or only those with "Files licensed by third parties" as the first parameter? — This, that and the other (talk) 02:51, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
All instances, since Commons don't have (didn't the last time I checked) that template. (tJosve05a (c) 07:16, 17 August 2014 (UTC)

One more thingEdit

Is it possible to make FtCG to add:
[[Category:Files uploaded by Josve05a (cleanup)]] [[Category:Files transferred from en.wikipedia by Josve05a]] ‎ to all files I tranfer? (tJosve05a (c) 00:11, 5 September 2014 (UTC)

Ping. (tJosve05a (c) 15:26, 14 September 2014 (UTC)

For the Common Good : run reverselyEdit

Hi, my home-wiki is Russian.

It is rather often it is needed to move files from Commons to ru-wiki: because a set of files is found not corresponding to the free content criteria yet is useful for many articles under fair use restrictions.

Before writing some bot from a scratch I am wondering if For the Common Good can be a little bit changed (or some settings applied to it as it is) so it could transfer sets of files from Commons to ru.wikipedia.org File: namespace?

The relevant discussion about a bot (in Russian) is currently here.

Best regards, Seva — Preceding unsigned comment added by Neolexx (talkcontribs) 16:49, 4 August 2014 (UTC)

+1. Please help. Details here: Википедия:Запросы к ботоводам#Выгрузка файлов из Викисклада в Рувики (via google translate) --Fastboy (talk) 17:20, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
Fastboy Neolexx: My apologies for not replying any sooner. Such a tool would certainly be possible to create. Indeed, in the past, I used a "lightly hacked" version of For the Common Good to transfer files from Wikitravel Shared (a site similar in nature to Wikimedia Commons) to local Wikivoyage editions after the establishment Wikivoyage in late 2012. So it is certainly possible. I will be happy to look at this in the coming week. — This, that and the other (talk) 12:25, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
That would be terrific! By all other means the app seems fit perfectly to our needs uncluding the ability of an editable "template dictionary". I have translated your answer at our forum - as there is no rush then to do and to debug something from a scratch, it is better to wait then. --NeoLexx (talk) 17:25, 7 August 2014 (UTC)

Hi Fastboy and Neolexx, I have uploaded version 1.0.5.11 of For the Common Good to http://atlight.github.io. In conjunction with the instructions at User:This, that and the other/For the Common Good/Reverse transfers, it should now be possible to run FtCG in reverse! If you find any problems or would like additional features to be added, please let me know. Thanks for your interest in FtCG. — This, that and the other (talk) 02:45, 17 August 2014 (UTC)

  • Thank you! I will start learning and testing immediately. --NeoLexx (talk) 07:41, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
  • Sorry for silly question, but where does the installation go by default? I installed it on Windows 8, closed and now no signs at Program files. --NeoLexx (talk) 08:18, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
    • Oh, OK, sorry. It is not installed, it is a single exe. --NeoLexx (talk) 08:20, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
  • To be clear, what is the license you want to be mentioned for this program? I didn't find it at the download page. --NeoLexx (talk) 08:23, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
    • The current version is released into the public domain. Even so, I appreciate it if you provide attribution if you choose to make copies of the program. I will probably release the next version under a license such as MIT, but for the moment, it is in the public domain. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:25, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
  • Hello. I tried reverse and it worked. I spent decent time to make a config but then I transferred twenty images very quickly. But I found some obstacles that slowed me down:
  1. FtCG doesn't memorize chexbox settings (I had to ckeck "ignore warnings" every other image)
  2. FtCG doesn't have automating to bypass a ban to create image with a name that already exists in commons. Of cauze admins doesn't have this problem. But I had to rename each image manually. It would be nice if you could set some prefix/postfix to new file name once and FtCG would apply it for each next image.
  3. One more feature I'd like to see: mandatory replacements or replacement groups (one of). If such "mandatory" replacement pattern not found, FtCG must make a very nicely visible error warning.

Could you make some of such features? Or, could I contribute to code? ~Nirvanchik~ ⊤άλҟ 07:34, 21 October 2014 (UTC)

And, by the way, in reverse order you can configure only "source" wiki which is commons and which is English, and you can't configure "destination" wiki, which is not English, so I had to use very coplicated replacement pattarn to change image description template by Russian version of these template, and to move all variables correctly. It would be nice if reverse wiki could be supported in more natural way. ~Nirvanchik~ ⊤άλҟ 07:39, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
Btw thanks for that previous support! It really helped! ~Nirvanchik~ ⊤άλҟ 07:43, 21 October 2014 (UTC)

512 character limit for special page titlesEdit

Assuming you are the "tto" on Freenode who asked "just wondering if you could clarify for me why you added the 512-character limit on special page titles in r18220?" I didn't add a 512-character limit, I raised the limit from 255 to 512 bytes on the basis that 255 bytes was not sufficient. 512 bytes was sufficient for use cases then in existence. -- Tim Starling (talk) 09:28, 7 August 2014 (UTC)

That was me :) Thanks for the clarification. So it was mostly an arbitrary choice, then. That was what I was interested in knowing. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:59, 7 August 2014 (UTC)

User talk:This, that and the other/For the Common Good/Reverse transfersEdit

Did you notice that this redirect format doesn't work? I'm not sure if it is the page or Mediawiki which should be fixed. --Stefan2 (talk) 17:37, 17 August 2014 (UTC)

It's the long standing bug 6151. I've been poking around at the MediaWiki title code recently, so I might try to fix it... although the fact that it hasn't been fixed in 8 years isn't promising... — This, that and the other (talk) 23:06, 17 August 2014 (UTC)

Your submission at Articles for creation: Beth Sotelo (September 5)Edit

Your recent article submission to Articles for Creation has been reviewed! Unfortunately, it has not been accepted at this time. Please check the submission for any additional comments left by the reviewer. You are encouraged to edit the submission to address the issues raised and resubmit when they have been resolved. Coin945 (talk) 07:33, 5 September 2014 (UTC)

Your submission at Articles for creation: Beth Sotelo (September 10)Edit

Your recent article submission to Articles for Creation has been reviewed! Unfortunately, it has not been accepted at this time. Please check the submission for any additional comments left by the reviewer. You are encouraged to edit the submission to address the issues raised and resubmit when they have been resolved. Coin945 (talk) 11:20, 10 September 2014 (UTC)

A3 template changesEdit

Hello TTATO,
I don't mean to be pushy, but you said on Wikipedia talk:Twinkle that you would do preliminary work on Twinkle tomorrow (which is probably yesterday now), however Twinkle is still tagging pages with {{db-nocontent}}. Please tell me why this is the case as my new templates are now finished and are ready to be moved. Thanks, Passengerpigeon (talk) 14:54, 15 September 2014 (UTC)

Hi Passengerpigeon, this is a bit of a "chicken or egg" problem. But so long as the new A3 templates are set up as redirects to db-nocontent for the time being, there shouldn't be an issue. I can't promise when the change to Twinkle will be deployed, but hopefully it will be available on-wiki not long after I finish writing the code tonight. — This, that and the other (talk) 23:15, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
{{db-a3}} will not change in the move, and {{db-a3-notice}} currently redirects to {{db-nocontent-notice}} but will be overwritten by {{db-nocontent-notice}} once the move takes place, thus everything should work the same way it does currently. Passengerpigeon (talk) 23:32, 15 September 2014 (UTC)

Copyright checks when performing AfC reviewsEdit

Hello This, that and the other. This message is part of a mass mailing to people who appear active in reviewing articles for creation submissions. First of all, thank you for taking part in this important work! I'm sorry this message is a form letter – it really was the only way I could think of to covey the issue economically. Of course, this also means that I have not looked to see whether the matter is applicable to you in particular.

The issue is in rather large numbers of copyright violations ("copyvios") making their way through AfC reviews without being detected (even when easy to check, and even when hallmarks of copyvios in the text that should have invited a check, were glaring). A second issue is the correct method of dealing with them when discovered.

If you don't do so already, I'd like to ask for your to help with this problem by taking on the practice of performing a copyvio check as the first step in any AfC review. The most basic method is to simply copy a unique but small portion of text from the draft body and run it through a search engine in quotation marks. Trying this from two different paragraphs is recommended. (If you have any question about whether the text was copied from the draft, rather than the other way around (a "backwards copyvio"), the Wayback Machine is very useful for sussing that out.)

If you do find a copyright violation, please do not decline the draft on that basis. Copyright violations need to be dealt with immediately as they may harm those whose content is being used and expose Wikipedia to potential legal liability. If the draft is substantially a copyvio, and there's no non-infringing version to revert to, please mark the page for speedy deletion right away using {{db-g12|url=URL of source}}. If there is an assertion of permission, please replace the draft article's content with {{subst:copyvio|url=URL of source}}.

Some of the more obvious indicia of a copyvio are use of the first person ("we/our/us..."), phrases like "this site", or apparent artifacts of content written for somewhere else ("top", "go to top", "next page", "click here", use of smartquotes, etc.); inappropriate tone of voice, such as an overly informal tone or a very slanted marketing voice with weasel words; including intellectual property symbols (™,®); and blocks of text being added all at once in a finished form with no misspellings or other errors.

I hope this message finds you well and thanks again you for your efforts in this area. Best regards--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 02:20, 18 November 2014 (UTC).

       Sent via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:20, 18 November 2014 (UTC)

For the Common GoodEdit

Good day.

My name is Sergey Semenov, I'm the administrator Russian Wikipedia. I am writing to you about the reverse transfer images from the Commons in the Russian Wikipedia using a program For the Common Good. Unfortunately, this program is quite difficult to master, and will move quite a lot.

I have uploaded to Commons several thousand images of tombstones set in the cemeteries of Russia. Unfortunately, in our country there is complete freedom of panorama, so these files can at any time be removed. I decided to move them to the Russian Wikipedia template FoP-Russia. In connection with this appeal to you to write the configuration files for the particular transport mechanism to simplify the programming work far from the participants. In today's conditions, the use of mass transfer of files can lead to disastrous results.

P. S. I'm sorry for the mistakes I badly speak English and translate through Google translator. --SerSem (talk) 12:55, 1 December 2014 (UTC)

Hi Sergey, thanks for your message, and don't worry about your English, I understand it well! I understand that reverse transfers with FtCG aren't as easy as they perhaps should be. I'll have a moment later today to see if I can prepare you a configuration file that will do what you ask. Thanks, — This, that and the other (talk) 03:40, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
Thank you very much. I'll wait. --SerSem (talk) 12:51, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
I made this configuration file for For the Common Good: http://atlight.github.io/ftcg/ForTheCommonGood_SerSem.cfg You should download it, rename it to ForTheCommonGood.cfg, and move it to the same location as ForTheCommonGood.exe.
Be aware of a couple of things:
  1. You must turn off the "Tag file with {{now commons}}" check box above the "Transfer" button.
  2. If you want to go through each of your uploads, you can download this text file: http://atlight.github.io/ftcg/SerSem_files.txt and click the "Other source" option to load this text file into FtCG.
  3. There is no template on ruwiki for CC-BY-SA version 4.0 (see c:template:cc-by-sa-4.0). You will need to create this template on ruwiki before transferring.
I would say that, since you have such a huge number of files, it might be better to ask for a bot to perform the transfers. I think you will find FtCG too slow for this work. But if you wish to give it a go, I hope it helps you. — This, that and the other (talk) 01:13, 3 December 2014 (UTC)
Thank you very much for your help, I was able to master the program and begin to transfer files with its help. All I do not need to unload, I have old photos uploaded to Commons. With the help of your program I have unloaded in Russian Wikipedia about 700 photos. This is a very important and necessary option in the program. --SerSem (talk) 18:01, 4 December 2014 (UTC)
  • Good day. I tried to upload a list of files at once from the category "Literatorskie mostki", but I did not succeed. If I use the text in this form, as provided by you in the file, the program writes the message: "An API error occured. Bad title" File: "". If I add the "File:" at the beginning of each line, the program writes the message: "An API error occured. Bad title:" File: <>. JPG ". What could be wrong? --SerSem (talk) 14:39, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
    • I would suggest that you check the encoding of the text file. For the Common Good expects the file to be stored in the UTF-8 encoding. Alternatively, you could upload the file to the Internet so I could look at it and check it for any problems. — This, that and the other (talk) 00:17, 10 December 2014 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

  The Technical Barnstar
For assistance in establishing unloading unfree files in the Russian Wikipedia Commons. The administrator Russian Wikipedia SerSem (talk) 18:03, 4 December 2014 (UTC)

ToolserverEdit

Hi Purodha, I was triaging some old Toolserver migration bugs, and noticed that there is a task phab:T63028 relating to one of your tools. Do you intend to migrate this tool to Tool Labs? — This, that and the other (talk) 00:16, 1 December 2014 (UTC)

Although I do not unterstand the phab:T63028 web page, I understand that someone ist asking whether or not I plan to migrate former toolserver tools to tools labs. I do. I only do not have plans as to when I have time to do it. --Purodha Blissenbach (talk) 19:39, 8 December 2014 (UTC)
Bugzilla seems not wo work any more. It redirects to something else. My account to bugzilla was lost in the process. So, for the time being, I am out of this business. --Purodha Blissenbach (talk) 09:48, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
@Purodha: Bugzilla was migrated to the new Phabricator issue tracking system a few weeks ago. You can create a Phabricator account that is attached to your Wikimedia SUL account, if you want to comment on bugs. See mw:Phabricator/Help#Creating_your_account for some info.
In any case I'll update the Phabricator task to say that you haven't forgotten about it. Thanks for the reply! — This, that and the other (talk) 09:56, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
Thank you. I knew about the migration, and I was on the Phabricator page that should allow me to connect to my old bugzilla account a few day ago. That is why I wrote that my access was lost. Maybe, I just have to wait for it to be migrated, I did not really dive into the details. -- Purodha Blissenbach (talk) 10:44, 9 December 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 133#Custom notices on user .js and .css pagesEdit

  You are invited to join the discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 133#Custom notices on user .js and .css pages. Thanks. — {{U|Technical 13}} (etc) 15:04, 6 January 2015 (UTC)

Relisting of TfD for Template:Infobox academic divisionEdit

TTO, Template:Infobox academic division has been re-nominated for deletion/merger, following a DRV. You participated in the previous TfD discussion, and I thought you would appreciate the opportunity to comment on the newly re-opened/re-listed discussion at Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2015 January 22#Template:Infobox academic division. Dirtlawyer1 (talk) 07:26, 22 January 2015 (UTC)

Now re-re-relisted for more betterness (under the original link), containing the original discussion, but not any comments made in the re-listing. Sorry for the mess. Martijn Hoekstra (talk) 15:13, 22 January 2015 (UTC)

RfC - Helper Script accessEdit

An RfC has been opened at RfC to physically restrict access to the Helper Script. You are invited to comment. --Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 16:28, 1 February 2015 (UTC)

Problem!Edit

Hi! In attempt to load the file from Ruvika jumps out the message: "The Internet inquiry isn't executed. The inquiry was interrupted: The inquiry is cancelled." Photo: http://radikall.com/images/2015/02/13/ecRa7.jpg --Dogad75 (talk) 10:43, 13 February 2015 (UTC)

Twinkle for TRwikiEdit

I am a technician from TRwiki. I wanna activate Twinkle. I created following pages(from ENwiki) but "TW tab" didnot appeared.

And I made necessary changes in Gadgets tab. Wikipedia:Twinkle/Localisation pages is outdated. Is there a new instruction page? What I am missing? --Mavrikant (talk) 01:27, 22 February 2015 (UTC)

@Mavrikant: Try altering the Gadgets-definition line to the following:
Twinkle[ResourceLoader|dependencies=mediawiki.user,mediawiki.util,jquery.ui.dialog,jquery.tipsy|rights=autoconfirmed]|morebits.js|morebits.css|Twinkle.js|twinklespeedy.js|twinklediff.js|twinkleconfig.js|twinklefluff.js
This, that and the other (talk) 06:28, 22 February 2015 (UTC)

Nope :( I even tryed before enwiki's Gadgets-definition: Twinkle[ResourceLoader|dependencies=mediawiki.user,mediawiki.util,jquery.ui.dialog,jquery.tipsy,moment|rights=autoconfirmed]|morebits.js|morebits.css|Twinkle.js|twinkleprod.js|twinkleimage.js|twinklebatchundelete.js|twinklewarn.js|twinklespeedy.js|friendlyshared.js|twinklediff.js|twinkleunlink.js|twinkledelimages.js|friendlytag.js|twinkledeprod.js|friendlywelcome.js|twinklexfd.js|twinklebatchdelete.js|twinklebatchprotect.js|twinkleconfig.js|twinklefluff.js|twinkleprotect.js|twinklearv.js|friendlytalkback.js I also tried MediaWiki:Gadget-Twinkle.js of Simplewiki. I haven't seen TW tab near search bar yet. There was old version (2009) of Twinkle stored subpages of User:Vito Genovese/Twinkle, I suspicious that old files sabotages new Twinkle but I cleaned main pages of old Twinkle. Do you need technician rights to look what is wrong? --Mavrikant (talk) 13:33, 22 February 2015 (UTC)

It is working. I followed new version of Wikipedia:Twinkle/Localisation page. Thank you Siddhartha Ghai and User:This, that and the other --Mavrikant (talk) 14:33, 22 February 2015 (UTC)

You've got mail!Edit

 
Hello, This, that and the other. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

MusikAnimal talk 03:10, 26 February 2015 (UTC)

Did you get my email? I'm eager to move forward with the block module but am having trouble with testing. Should I use the fragmented modules on testwiki (as opposed to one big twinkle.js)? How can I get the perl script to upload there instead of enwiki? I can't get the concatenated twinkle.js to work in my userspace since it requires morebits. Morebits doesn't appear to be a module that I can use with mw.loader.load and mw.loader.using, and even trying putting the Twinkle init stuff in a callback of $.getScript things still don't load in the right order. I feel like there must be an easier way. Thanks MusikAnimal talk 23:45, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
Yeah, I often have trouble getting Twinkle to show up in the UI on testwiki. Normally I will just open my browser's F12 tools and directly call the callback, e.g. Twinkle.protect.callback(). — This, that and the other (talk) 01:34, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
Beautiful :) Not sure why I didn't think of that! Many thanks MusikAnimal talk 02:52, 1 March 2015 (UTC)

─────────────────────────I take it you wish not to communicate through email? I understand if you do not, there's just some matters I'd rather discuss in private. Anyway, I've been working hard and have the interface for the blocking module more or less done. I thought I'd run this by you before I move on to the actual blocking functionality, just in case something stands out that I'm doing wrong. Pull request is here, feel free to comment. Thanks! MusikAnimal talk 03:13, 2 March 2015 (UTC)

InvitationEdit

 
Thank you for using VisualEditor and sharing your ideas with the developers.

Hello, This, that and the other,

The Editing team is asking for your help with VisualEditor. I am contacting you because you posted to a feedback page for VisualEditor. Please tell them what they need to change to make VisualEditor work well for you. The team has a list of top-priority problems, but they also want to hear about small problems. These problems may make editing less fun, take too much of your time, or be as annoying as a paper cut. The Editing team wants to hear about and try to fix these small things, too. 

You can share your thoughts by clicking this link. You may respond to this quick, simple, anonymous survey in your own language. If you take the survey, then you agree your responses may be used in accordance with these terms. This survey is powered by Qualtrics and their use of your information is governed by their privacy policy.

More information (including a translateable list of the questions) is posted on wiki at mw:VisualEditor/Survey 2015. If you have questions, or prefer to respond on-wiki, then please leave a message on the survey's talk page.

Thank you, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 15:56, 26 March 2015 (UTC)

You've got mail!Edit

 
Hello, This, that and the other. Please check your email; you've got mail!
Message added 02:00, 8 April 2015 (UTC). It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

MusikAnimal talk 02:00, 8 April 2015 (UTC)

MfD nomination of Wikipedia:Lua/ModulesEdit

Wikipedia:Lua/Modules, a page you substantially contributed to, has been nominated for deletion. Your opinions on the matter are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion/Wikipedia:Lua/Modules and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~). You are free to edit the content of Wikipedia:Lua/Modules during the discussion but should not remove the miscellany for deletion template from the top of the page; such a removal will not end the deletion discussion. Thank you. Steel1943 (talk) 20:29, 20 April 2015 (UTC)

Hillary Rodham Clinton - Move DiscussionEdit

Hi,

This is a notification to let you know that there is a requested move discussion ongoing at Talk:Hillary_Rodham_Clinton/April_2015_move_request#Requested_move. You are receiving this notification because you have previously participated in some capacity in naming discussions related to the article in question.

Thanks. And have a nice day. NickCT (talk) 18:55, 26 April 2015 (UTC)

Persondata RfCEdit

Hi, You participated in the previous Persondata RfC. I just wanted to notify you that a new RfC regarding the methodical removal of Persondata is taking place at Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals). Thanks, —Msmarmalade (talk) 08:15, 6 May 2015 (UTC)

New question raised regarding Talk:Hillary Rodham Clinton/April 2015 move requestEdit

Some opposers of this move have now contended that there is a "Critical fault in proposal evidence", which brings the opinions expressed into question. Please indicate if this assertion in any way affects your position with respect to the proposed move. Cheers! bd2412 T 04:36, 8 May 2015 (UTC)

Talkback on WP:UNDEdit

Hello, This, that and the other. You have new messages at Wikipedia:Requests for undeletion#User talk:User.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

I thought I'd post this here as well since i assume you were asking about this in order to find Twinkle defects. Steel1943 (talk) 14:05, 30 May 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 01 July 2015Edit

TalkbackEdit

Hello, This, that and the other. You have new messages at Eman235's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

The Signpost: 08 July 2015Edit

You've got mailEdit

 
Hello, This, that and the other. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

The Signpost: 15 July 2015Edit

The Signpost: 22 July 2015Edit

Community desysoping RfCEdit

Hi. You are invited to comment at RfC for BARC - a community desysoping process. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 06:58, 24 July 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 29 July 2015Edit

very belated reply re Wikiquote 'This Sporting Life' deletionEdit

Hi there TTO (I hope that abbreviation is ok, I'm very lazy),

I'm just writing to say I've been meaning to reply to your April 2014 heads-up on my talk page regarding the above. Unfortunately I was probably either taking a break from the insanity that is Wikipedia or else just busy with other things when you posted. What a shame that was removed (was it because TSL doesn't meet USA-dominated notability standards or something like that?). Very annoying.

Kind regards,

--TyrS 07:07, 4 August 2015 (UTC)

Hi TyrS! Wow, that was a long time ago. I had forgotten about it. If you head over to the Wikiquote link, you will see the page was deleted because it had "no sourced quotes", so I suspect it was not a matter of notability - rather, one of sourcing. If you want to further work on the page, I imagine Wikiquote has a process for requesting undeletion or deletion review, in the same way as we have our processes here. — This, that and the other (talk) 07:10, 4 August 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 05 August 2015Edit

The Signpost: 12 August 2015Edit

The Signpost: 19 August 2015Edit

The Signpost: 26 August 2015Edit

The Signpost: 02 September 2015Edit

Invitation to subscribe to the edit filter mailing listEdit

Hi, as a user in the edit filter manager user group we wanted to let you know about the new wikipedia-en-editfilters mailing list. As part of our recent efforts to improve the use of edit filters on the English Wikipedia it has been established as a venue for internal discussion by edit filter managers regarding private filters (those only viewable by administrators and edit filter managers) and also as a means by which non-admins can ask questions about hidden filters that wouldn't be appropriate to discuss on-wiki. As an edit filter manager we encourage you to subscribe; the more users we have in the mailing list the more useful it will be to the community. If you subscribe we will send a short email to you through Wikipedia to confirm your subscription, but let us know if you'd prefer another method of verification. I'd also like to take the opportunity to invite you to contribute to the proposed guideline for edit filter use at WP:Edit filter/Draft and the associated talk page. Thank you! Sam Walton (talk) and MusikAnimal talk 18:22, 9 September 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 09 September 2015Edit

The Signpost: 16 September 2015Edit

The Signpost: 23 September 2015Edit

please delete the user page for master vijay singhEdit

please delete the user page for master vijay singh


vijay15:05, 29 September 2015 (UTC)Dispuralive (talk)

The Signpost: 30 September 2015Edit

Thanks for contributions minor-edit filterEdit

Thank you for working on "Allow minor edits to be filtered out of Special:Contributions"! I'm looking forward to it going live. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 08:58, 9 October 2015 (UTC)

Thanks... but I should point out that the code hasn't been reviewed yet. Unfortunately, changes like this normally take at least a month to be approved, quite often longer. — This, that and the other (talk) 10:26, 9 October 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 07 October 2015Edit

The Signpost: 14 October 2015Edit

The Signpost: 21 October 2015Edit

User:This, that and the other/transcludeEdit

May I ask what purpose this page serves? —Skyllfully (talk | contribs) 02:30, 28 October 2015 (UTC)

@Skyllfully: I was probably trying to debug some problem with the MediaWiki software or something like that. Is the page showing up in some database report or backlog? — This, that and the other (talk) 02:33, 28 October 2015 (UTC)
Nope, I found it in Main Page's WhatLinksHere maintenance report. —Skyllfully (talk | contribs) 02:35, 28 October 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 28 October 2015Edit

The Signpost: 04 November 2015Edit

The Signpost: 11 November 2015Edit

The Signpost: 18 November 2015Edit

ArbCom elections are now open!Edit

Hi,
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:41, 23 November 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 25 November 2015Edit

TTOBot request re minor league affiliates navboxesEdit

Hey, after a (brief) discussion at WT:BASEBALL, I'd like to nominate all the templates at Category:Minor league baseball affiliates navigational boxes for deletion, as they are redundant to the main Major League Baseball teams' navboxes (which already include links to all of an MLB team's MiLB affiliates, with a more correct breakdown of classifications). As I've never done a mass XFD nomination before, and I really don't relish dong it all manually, I'd appreciate a pass through with the bot for tagging and some advice on the setting up of the appropriate discussion. If you can, ping me to let me know. Thanks. oknazevad (talk) 03:18, 1 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi. I'll get TTObot to perform the tagging once the TFD nomination is set up. See Wikipedia:Templates_for_discussion/Log/2011_September_11#BTCC.2FPTR_season_templates for an example of how to format a multiple template discussion: simply give it a descriptive heading, and write out one :{{Tfd links|...}} line for each template, like this:
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Blue Jays franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Braves franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Brewers franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Cardinals franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Chicago Cubs franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Indians franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Nationals franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Orioles franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Phillies franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Pirates franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Rays franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Reds franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Royals franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Arizona Diamondbacks}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Boston Red Sox}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Colorado Rockies}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Houston Astros}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Los Angeles Angels}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Los Angeles Dodgers}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Miami Marlins}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Minnesota Twins}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team New York Mets}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team New York Yankees}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Oakland Athletics}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team San Diego Padres}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team San Francisco Giants}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Seattle Mariners}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Team Texas Rangers}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB Tigers franchise}}
:{{Tfd links|MLB White Sox franchise}}
Let me know once the TFD nomination has been started. Thanks, — This, that and the other (talk) 03:27, 1 December 2015 (UTC)
I made the nominations. It's at Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2015 December 3#Minor league affiliates navboxes. oknazevad (talk) 20:48, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
Done. You may like to notify the following users, who created the templates:
  • Gateman1997
  • Vikreykja
  • SportsMaster
  • Dale Arnett
  • Enkrates
  • JB82
  • Evill72
  • Tommie91
  • NClark128
This, that and the other (talk) 22:50, 3 December 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 02 December 2015Edit

The Signpost: 09 December 2015Edit

The Signpost: 16 December 2015Edit

Editors cannot break the site, only (sys)admins can do thatEdit

In regards to this edit, I feel that the intended word was sysadmins, not admins. It seems like the gist of that section is that there is nothing that an editor can do (admin or otherwise, with the occasional but negligible odd occurrence where an admin really screws up) that can break Wikipedia. In order to truly cause permanent damage, you'd need to be a sysadmin — ie. with access to the actual backend/databases/servers/whathaveyou.  DiscantX 13:42, 20 December 2015 (UTC)

The reason I removed "sys" is because the text of the section seemed to be talking about admins (as in local users with sysop rights). The first sentence is "In a few cases, there are things sysops can do that will slow down or crash the site". It's clearly talking about sysops on the wiki, not system administrators in the back rooms; it even links to WP:Administrators. Then: "If you get chastised for trying to delete Wikipedia:Sandbox and crashing the site, don't try to delete the same page again". Again talking about sysops. I don't think I agree with the message of the section, but that is beside the point; I think my edit was correct. — This, that and the other (talk) 13:46, 20 December 2015 (UTC)
I don't particularly agree with the tone of the message but the two lines "although there are a few things admins can do maliciously which are very difficult to clean up, it shouldn't ever be possible to do something which will result in permanent data loss or unfixable breakage" and "If you're unsure about something, you can ask a sysadmin on IRC if it makes you feel better, but generally it's not necessary," plus that the preceding sections reference sysadmins rather than admins seems to suggest that the message of the article in whole is not to worry about edits, because non-employees can't break the site in an irreversible fashion — having the section title say admins can break the site and then go on to say that they can't do any serious damage so "don't be afraid to do similar things... This damages Wikipedia far more than a minor temporary slowdown" seems contradictory.
The whole section is a bit vague, but regardless of what the original author intended to say, I think it is true that only a sysadmin could truly break the site, not an admin (you may be a bit more familiar with the backend, but I imagine that even if every admin were to start acting maliciously it could be reversed by a sysadmin by a manual change outside of the normal tools).  DiscantX 14:13, 20 December 2015 (UTC)

Seasons' greetings!Edit

This, that and the other, hope your holidays are happy, and a happy new year! Steel1943 (talk) 17:49, 23 December 2015 (UTC)

The Signpost: 30 December 2015Edit

The Signpost: 06 January 2016Edit

The Signpost: 13 January 2016Edit

The Signpost: 20 January 2016Edit

The Signpost: 27 January 2016Edit

The Signpost: 03 February 2016Edit

The Signpost: 10 February 2016Edit

The Signpost: 17 February 2016Edit

TBEdit

Hello, This, that and the other. You have new messages at Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#Question_about_DIFF_pages.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

The Signpost: 24 February 2016Edit

Category:Tennis name templatesEdit

Hi. After discussions at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Tennis#Tn template and a "successful" TfD for Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2016 February 22#Template:Tn Yuki Bhambri, where decision was taken that these articles are not needed, I want to nominate all templates in Category:Tennis name templates for deletion. Is this something you and your bot, User:TTObot, can help with? The templates where only used on a handful articles and I removed them so they are not currently used anywhere and I follow all related pages at my sandbox and watchlist. I would not ask if I would not think a nomination would be successful. Qed237 (talk) 21:32, 3 March 2016 (UTC)

@Qed237: Thanks. If you start the TFD discussion, then I can provide a link to that discussion from the edit summary. Otherwise I will just provide a generic deletion summary, like "Nominated for deletion". — This, that and the other (talk) 23:09, 3 March 2016 (UTC)
@This, that and the other: Discussion opened at Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2016 March 4#Tn templates. Thank you. Qed237 (talk) 00:26, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
@Qed237: Done (I had to do it in 2 passes because some of the accents in the names of the players played havoc with my script). — This, that and the other (talk) 08:19, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
Okay. Thank you very much. Qed237 (talk) 10:00, 4 March 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 02 March 2016Edit

The Signpost: 09 March 2016Edit

The Signpost: 16 March 2016Edit

The Signpost: 23 March 2016Edit

The Signpost: 1 April 2016Edit

The Signpost: 14 April 2016Edit

The Signpost: 24 April 2016Edit

Twinkle. An second opinion?Edit

Thank you for answering my question on Twinkle. That helped and I have been thinking about reporting it. This is not for a second opinion on content or to have the content in the article.This is because I think Twinkle was misused with false summary edits. I just want an second opinion by someone that knows Twinkle and Wikipedia policies better. Just too much to read and take in at one time. The situation is solved but I still question some things. In short what happen, I edited some nonconstructive edits that was half accurate (unknown to me they were in the wrong place) and my edits were done in verified accuracy when I corrected them. Instead of looking at the original edit it was reverted back to them twice by different editors, however, in both summaries did not fit my edits, twinkle was used both times. In the first one the summary had nothing to do with my edits. The second was a little better but still did not match the situation. This whole thing could had been avoided if the original edits were read than being revert back to them or changed when they were made. Also, maybe realize I was correcting what was there and then explain what the original edits should not been there and not made my edits to be the ones in the wrong place like nothing was there before. So, is reverting my good-faith verified accuracy edits back to nonconstructive edits in the wrong place with summaries that did not match my edits and using twinkle abuse? I have felt like my edits were being called vandalism because Twinkle is used for vandalism and nonconstructive. And to me, my edits were to fix nonconstructive edits. Also, When the first editor that reverted my edits, I had wrote on their talk page. no answer. The second editor that reverted my edits, we had a confusing conversation until I understand the original edits I corrected were in the wrong place. That editor did remove most and corrected the rest. The situation is over. If I knew about Twinkle before hand I would had reported it because I feel it is against Twinkle but is it? Truthseeker1022 (talk) 03:33, 30 April 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 2 May 2016Edit

The Signpost: 17 May 2016Edit

The Signpost: 28 May 2016Edit

The Signpost: 05 June 2016Edit

Twinkle questionEdit

Where should I go to request a uw template be added to Twinkle? The template in question is {{uw-afcaddition}}. Anarchyte (work | talk) 10:05, 9 June 2016 (UTC)

Filtering minor edits from user contributionsEdit

[posted to User talk:Jeffq#Filtering minor edits from user contributions]: Hi Jeff. Back in October last year, you asked whether there is a way to hide minor edits from user contributions pages. This feature has finally been implemented in MediaWiki software, and will be available here on 16 June. You can try it out at Wikipedia Beta. — This, that and the other (talk) 01:41, 10 June 2016 (UTC)

Thanks for letting me know! ~ Jeff Q (talk) 10:50, 10 June 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 15 June 2016Edit

The Signpost: 04 July 2016Edit

The Signpost: 21 July 2016Edit

The Signpost: 04 August 2016Edit

The Signpost: 18 August 2016Edit

A kitten for you!Edit

...meow...

Mountebank1 (talk) 00:28, 24 August 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 06 September 2016Edit

The Signpost: 29 September 2016Edit

The Signpost: 14 October 2016Edit

The Signpost: 4 November 2016Edit

ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!Edit

 Hello, This, that and the other. Voting in the 2016 Arbitration Committee elections is open from Monday, 00:00, 21 November through Sunday, 23:59, 4 December to all unblocked users who have registered an account before Wednesday, 00:00, 28 October 2016 and have made at least 150 mainspace edits before Sunday, 00:00, 1 November 2016.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2016 election, please review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:08, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

New Page Reviewer - RfCEdit

Hi This, that and the other. You are invited to comment at a further discussion on the implementation of this user right to patrol and review new pages that is taking place at Wikipedia:New pages patrol/RfC on patrolling without user right. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 21:12, 23 November 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 4 November 2016Edit

Template:Db-metaEdit

There is an (apparent) problem with the addition of the "help=off" parameter that you added to Template:Db-meta in this edit. The problem is that sometimes editors use the "help=off" parameter even without notifying the article author of the speedy delete nomination. Thus, as an administrator, when I am reviewing articles up for speedy deletion, and I find that the author has not been notified, I don't get the help section to provide notice to the author automatically. As I commented at [1], using the "help=off" parameter is like saying, "I didn't notify the article creator that I nominated this page for speedy deletion, and I want to make it more difficult than normal for anyone else to do so, too." If it was your intention that the help=off parameter should only be used or activated once the author has been given notice, it doesn't seem to be working that way. I don't know enough about template parameters to fix the template myself. --Metropolitan90 (talk) 04:38, 5 December 2016 (UTC)

@Metropolitan90: As you identified, the parameter was added so that the help section is not shown when the creator has been notified. Twinkle, as far as I can see, only adds |help=off when the creator is about to be notified by the tool. If Twinkle has been asked not to notify the page creator, it will not add help=off. However, in the very rare case that the posting to user talk fails (such as because the user talk page is fully protected), the help=off parameter will be added regardless. I suspect (and hope) this is a vanishingly rare scenario.

If people are misusing the parameter, the solution is not to remove the parameter; it might be to change the template documentation, engage with individual users, or identify if any tools, gadgets or scripts are to blame. If you can provide some diffs of users who have been using the parameter incorrectly, it would help to identify the source of the problem. However, at the end of the day, I can't control what other users are doing with the parameter I added. — This, that and the other (talk) 06:59, 5 December 2016 (UTC)

Thanks, I will follow up when I have diffs to provide. --Metropolitan90 (talk) 02:00, 6 December 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 22 December 2016Edit

The Signpost: 17 January 2017Edit

CSS styling in templatesEdit

Hello everyone, and sincere apologies if you're getting this message more than once. Just a heads-up that there is currently work on an extension in order to enable CSS styling in templates. Please check the document on mediawiki.org to discuss best storage methods and what we need to avoid with implementation. Thanks, m:User:Melamrawy (WMF), 09:11, 6 February 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 6 February 2017Edit

Addition of un-redirected pages to Special:NewPages and Special:NewPagesFeedEdit

I'm contacting you because you participated in this proposal discussion. While the proposal was approved, it has not received developer action. The request is now under consideration as part of the 2017 Developer Wishlist, with voting open through the end of day on Tuesday (23:59 UTC). The latter link describes the voting process, if you are interested. —swpbT 18:02, 13 February 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 27 February 2017Edit

Bots Newsletter, April 2017Edit

Bots Newsletter, April 2017

Greetings!

The BAG Newsletter is now the Bots Newsletter, per discussion. As such, we've subscribed all bot operators to the newsletter. You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding/removing your name from this list.

Highlights for this newsletter include:

Arbcom

Magioladitis ARBCOM case has closed. The remedies of the case include:

  • Community encouraged to review common fixes
  • Community encouraged to review policy on cosmetic edits
  • Developers encouraged to improve AWB interface
  • Bot approvals group encouraged to carefully review BRFA scope
  • Reminders/Restrictions specific to Magioladitis
BRFAs

We currently have 27 open bot requests at Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval, and could use your help processing!

Discussions

There are multiple ongoing discussions surrounding bot-related matters. In particular:

New things

Several new things are around:

Wikimania

Wikimania 2017 is happening in Montreal, during 9–13 August. If you plan to attend, or give a talk, let us know!

Thank you! edited by:Headbomb 11:35, 12 April 2017 (UTC)


(You can unsubscribe from future newsletters by removing your name from this list.)

JavaScript RegExp problemEdit

I noticed you have experience in JavaScript. I'm hoping you can help me with a problem I've run into writing a userscript.

Please see my post at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject JavaScript#Nested RegExp.

Thank you. The Transhumanist 12:27, 5 May 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 9 June 2017Edit

The Signpost: 23 June 2017Edit

Twinkle help deploymentEdit

I notice that you pushed the code for this to GitHub, but it's not reflected on my Twinkle yet, and it's been a few weeks. Can you deploy from there to here, or does @MusikAnimal: have to do it? – Train2104 (t • c) 22:37, 5 July 2017 (UTC)

@Train2104: I'm not an administrator, so no, I can't. MusikAnimal can though. I've been waiting for mw:Gadgets 2.0 for about 6 years - hopefully one day we will get it, and then non-admins will be able to manage gadgets. — This, that and the other (talk) 23:05, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
  Done Just ping me whenever it needs to be synced, only takes a few minutes :) I don't think there's a way to get notifications about commits to select repos on GitHub, or else I'd just go by that MusikAnimal talk 23:49, 5 July 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 15 July 2017Edit

Bots Newsletter, July 2017Edit

Bots Newsletter, July 2017

Greetings!

Here is the 4th issue of the Bots Newsletter (formerly the BAG Newletter). You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding/removing your name from this list.

Highlights for this newsletter include:

BAG

BU Rob13 and Cyberpower678 are now members of the BAG (see RfBAG/BU Rob13 and RfBAG/Cyberpower678 3). BU Rob13 and Cyberpower678 are both administrators; the former operates BU RoBOT which does a plethora of tasks, while the latter operates Cyberbot I (which replaces old bots), Cyberbot II (which does many different things), and InternetArchiveBot which combats link rot. Welcome to the BAG!

BRFAs

We currently have 12 open bot requests at Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval, and could use your help processing!

Discussions
New things
Upcoming
Wikimania

Wikimania 2017 is happening in Montreal, during 9–13 August. If you plan to attend, or give a talk, let us know!

Thank you! edited by: Headbomb 17:12, 19 July 2017 (UTC)


(You can subscribe or unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding or removing your name from this list.)

The Signpost: 5 August 2017Edit

Category:Wikipedia bots running on the Wikimedia Labs cluster has been nominated for discussionEdit

 

Category:Wikipedia bots running on the Wikimedia Labs cluster, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. A discussion is taking place to see if it abides with the categorization guidelines. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the categories for discussion page. Thank you. -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 10:34, 5 August 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 6 September 2017Edit

Marvel Comics charactersEdit

Hello. I would like to nominate a number of templates for discussion, and I noticed that your bot TTObot may help with it. The problematic templates are:

All those navboxes are linking articles by a trivial theme (the first character of their names). There are several templates already that group Marvel characters by more reasonable criteria, such as those that appear in a same publication (like {{Fantastic Four}}), so those ones are not really needed. Cambalachero (talk) 15:09, 11 September 2017 (UTC)

@Cambalachero: With only 27 templates it's probably easier to do it by hand. If you had, say, 50 or 100 templates to tag, then TTObot might be a good choice. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:49, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 25 September 2017Edit

Users who do not wish to receive talkbacksEdit

I have proposed renaming of Category:Users who do not wish to receive talkbacks to "Wikipedians...". – Fayenatic London 10:09, 12 October 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 23 October 2017Edit

The Signpost: 24 November 2017Edit

ArbCom 2017 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, This, that and the other. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 18 December 2017Edit

New Page Reviewer grantedEdit

Hello This, that and the other. Your account has been added to the "New page reviewers" user group, allowing you to review new pages and mark them as patrolled, tag them for maintenance issues, or in some cases, tag them for deletion. The list of articles awaiting review is located at the New Pages Feed. New page reviewing is a vital function for policing the quality of the encylopedia, if you have not already done so, you must read the new tutorial at New Pages Review, the linked guides and essays, and fully understand the various deletion criteria. If you need more help or wish to discuss the process, please join or start a thread at page reviewer talk.

  • URGENT: Please consider helping get the huge backlog down to a manageable number of pages as soon as possible.
  • Be nice to new users - they are often not aware of doing anything wrong.
  • You will frequently be asked by users to explain why their page is being deleted - be formal and polite in your approach to them too, even if they are not.
  • Don't review a page if you are not sure what to do. Just leave it for another reviewer.
  • Remember that quality is quintessential to good patrolling. Take your time to patrol each article, there is no rush. Use the message feature and offer basic advice.

The reviewer right does not change your status or how you can edit articles. If you no longer want this user right, you may ask any administrator to remove it for you at any time. In case of abuse or persistent inaccuracy of reviewing, the right can be revoked at any time by an administrator. — xaosflux Talk 04:53, 29 December 2017 (UTC)

If you want to be on the NPP mailing list, sign up at Wikipedia:New pages patrol/Reviewers/Newsletter list. — xaosflux Talk 04:54, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
Looks like I conflicted @Alex Shih:, but same message. — xaosflux Talk 04:55, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
Yes. Same message. Thank you! Alex Shih (talk) 04:57, 29 December 2017 (UTC)

New Years new page backlog driveEdit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your efforts reviewing new pages!

Announcing the NPP New Year Backlog Drive!

We have done amazing work so far in December to reduce the New Pages Feed backlog by over 3000 articles! Now is the time to capitalise on our momentum and help eliminate the backlog!

The backlog drive will begin on January 1st and run until January 29th. Prize tiers and other info can be found HERE.

Awards will be given in tiers in two categories:

  • The total number of reviews completed for the month.
  • The minimum weekly total maintained for all four weeks of the backlog drive.

NOTE: It is extremely important that we focus on quality reviewing. Despite our goal of reducing the backlog as much as possible, please do not rush while reviewing.


If you wish to opt-out of future mailings, go here.TonyBallioni (talk) 20:24, 30 December 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 16 January 2018Edit

Speedy deletion nomination of OffingEdit

 

If this is the first article that you have created, you may want to read the guide to writing your first article.

You may want to consider using the Article Wizard to help you create articles.

A tag has been placed on Offing, requesting that it be deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under two or more of the criteria for speedy deletion, by which pages can be deleted at any time, without discussion. If the page meets any of these strictly-defined criteria, then it may soon be deleted by an administrator. The reasons it has been tagged are:

  • It is an article with no content whatsoever, or whose contents consist only of external links, a "See also" section, book references, category tags, template tags, interwiki links, a rephrasing of the title, or an attempt to contact the subject of the article. (See section A3 of the criteria for speedy deletion.) Wikipedia has standards for the minimum necessary information to be included in short articles; you can see these at Wikipedia:Stub. Also please note that articles must be on notable subjects and should provide references to reliable sources that verify their content.
  • It consists of a dictionary definition or other article that has been transwikied to another project and the author information recorded. (See section A5 of the criteria for speedy deletion.)

If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be deleted without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. If the page is deleted, and you wish to retrieve the deleted material for future reference or improvement, then please contact the deleting administrator, or if you have already done so, you can place a request here. Matuko 09:19, 24 January 2018 (UTC)

Speedy deletion nomination of OffingEdit

 

If this is the first article that you have created, you may want to read the guide to writing your first article.

You may want to consider using the Article Wizard to help you create articles.

A tag has been placed on Offing, requesting that it be deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under two or more of the criteria for speedy deletion, by which pages can be deleted at any time, without discussion. If the page meets any of these strictly-defined criteria, then it may soon be deleted by an administrator. The reasons it has been tagged are:

  • It is an article with no content whatsoever, or whose contents consist only of external links, a "See also" section, book references, category tags, template tags, interwiki links, a rephrasing of the title, or an attempt to contact the subject of the article. (See section A3 of the criteria for speedy deletion.) Wikipedia has standards for the minimum necessary information to be included in short articles; you can see these at Wikipedia:Stub. Also please note that articles must be on notable subjects and should provide references to reliable sources that verify their content.
  • It consists of a dictionary definition or other article that has been transwikied to another project and the author information recorded. (See section A5 of the criteria for speedy deletion.)

If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be deleted without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. If the page is deleted, and you wish to retrieve the deleted material for future reference or improvement, then please contact the deleting administrator, or if you have already done so, you can place a request here. Matuko 09:19, 24 January 2018 (UTC)

@Matuko: I think {{wi}} articles ought to be considered more as soft redirects, so that the article CSD criteria do not apply. Let's see what an admin thinks. — This, that and the other (talk) 09:23, 24 January 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 5 February 2018Edit

New Page Reviewer NewsletterEdit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your efforts in reviewing new pages!
 
The NPP backlog at the end of the drive with the number of unreviewed articles by creation date. Red is older than 90 days, orange is between 90 and 30 days old, and green is younger than 30 days.

Backlog update:

  • The new page backlog is currently at 3819 unreviewed articles, with a further 6660 unreviewed redirects.
  • We are very close to eliminating the backlog completely; please help by reviewing a few extra articles each day!

New Year Backlog Drive results:

  • We made massive progress during the recent four weeks of the NPP Backlog Drive, during which the backlog reduced by nearly six thousand articles and the length of the backlog by almost 3 months!

General project update:

  • ACTRIAL will end it's initial phase on the 14th of March. Our goal is to reduce the backlog significantly below the 90 day index point by the 14th of March. Please consider helping with this goal by reviewing a few additional pages a day.
  • Reviewing redirects is an important and necessary part of New Page Patrol. Please read the guideline on appropriate redirects for advice on reviewing redirects. Inappropriate redirects can be re-targeted or nominated for deletion at RfD.

If you wish to opt-out of future mailings, go here. 20:32, 7 February 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 20 February 2018Edit

Bots Newsletter, March 2018Edit

Bots Newsletter, March 2018

Greetings!

Here is the 5th issue of the Bots Newsletter (formerly the BAG Newletter). You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding/removing your name from this list.

Highlights for this newsletter include:

ARBCOM
BAG
BRFAs

We currently have 6 open bot requests at Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval, and could use your help processing!

Discussions

While there were no large-scale bot-related discussion in the past few months, you can check WP:BOTN and WT:BOTPOL (and their corresponding archives) for smaller issues that came up.

New things
Upcoming

Thank you! edited by: Headbomb 03:12, 3 March 2018 (UTC)


(You can subscribe or unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding or removing your name from this list.)

Signpost issue 4 – 29 March 2018Edit

New Page Review Newsletter No.10Edit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

ACTRIAL:

  • ACTRIAL's six month experiment restricting new page creation to (auto)confirmed users ended on 14 March. As expected, a greatly increased number of unsuitable articles and candidates for deletion are showing up in the feed again, and the backlog has since increased already by ~30%. Please consider reviewing a few extra articles each day.

Paid editing

  • Now that ACTRIAL is inoperative pending discussion, please be sure to look for tell-tale signs of undisclosed paid editing. Contact the creator if appropriate, and submit the issue to WP:COIN if necessary.

Subject-specific notability guidelines

Nominate competent users for Autopatrolled

  • While patrolling articles, if you find an editor that is particularly competent at creating quality new articles, and that user has created more than 25 articles (rather than stubs), consider nominating them for the 'Autopatrolled' user right HERE.

News

  • The next issue Wikipedia's newspaper The Signpost has now been published after a long delay. There are some articles in it, including ACTRIAL wrap-up that will be of special interest to New Page Reviewers. Don't hesitate to contribute to the comments sections. The Signpost is one of the best ways to stay up date with news and new developments - please consider subscribing to it. All editors of Wikipedia and associated projects are welcome to submit articles on any topic for consideration by the The Signpost's editorial team for the next issue.

To opt-out of future mailings, go here. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:06, 30 March 2018 (UTC)

Upcoming changes to wikitext parsingEdit

Hello,

There will be some changes to the way wikitext is parsed during the next few weeks. It will affect all namespaces. You can see a list of pages that may display incorrectly at Special:LintErrors. Since most of the easy problems have already been solved at the English Wikipedia, I am specifically contacting tech-savvy editors such as yourself with this one-time message, in the hope that you will be able to investigate the remaining high-priority pages during the next month.

There are approximately 10,000 articles (and many more non-article pages) with high-priority errors. The most important ones are the articles with misnested tags and table problems. Some of these involve templates, such as infoboxes, or the way the template is used in the article. In some cases, the "error" is a minor, unimportant difference in the visual appearance. In other cases, the results are undesirable. You can see a before-and-after comparison of any article by adding ?action=parsermigration-edit to the end of a link, like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Foss?action=parsermigration-edit (which shows a difference in how {{infobox ship}} is parsed).

If you are interested in helping with this project, please see Wikipedia:Linter. There are also some basic instructions (and links to even more information) at https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-ambassadors/2018-April/001836.html You can also leave a note at WT:Linter if you have questions.

Thank you for all the good things you do for the English Wikipedia. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 21:18, 19 April 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 26 April 2018Edit

List is of South Australian organisations providing support to people with disability listed at Redirects for discussionEdit

An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect List is of South Australian organisations providing support to people with disability. Since you had some involvement with the List is of South Australian organisations providing support to people with disability redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. UnitedStatesian (talk) 18:54, 22 May 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 24 May 2018Edit

The Signpost: 24 May 2018Edit

NPR Newsletter No.11 25 May 2018Edit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

ACTRIAL:

  • WP:ACREQ has been implemented. The flow at the feed has dropped back to the levels during the trial. However, the backlog is on the rise again so please consider reviewing a few extra articles each day; a backlog approaching 5,000 is still far too high. An effort is also needed to ensure that older unsuitable older pages at the back of the queue do not get automatically indexed for Google.

Deletion tags

  • Do bear in mind that articles in the feed showing the trash can icon may have been tagged by inexperienced or non NPR rights holders. They require your further verification.

Backlog drive:

  • A backlog drive will take place from 10 through 20 June. Check out our talk page at WT:NPR for more details. NOTE: It is extremely important that we focus on quality reviewing. Despite our goal of reducing the backlog as much as possible, please do not rush while reviewing.

Editathons

  • There will be a large increase in the number of editathons in June. Please be gentle with new pages that obviously come from good faith participants, especially articles from developing economies and ones about female subjects. Consider using the 'move to draft' tool rather than bluntly tagging articles that may have potential but which cannot yet reside in mainspace.

Paid editing - new policy

  • Now that ACTRIAL is ACREQ, please be sure to look for tell-tale signs of undisclosed paid editing. Contact the creator if appropriate, and submit the issue to WP:COIN if necessary. There is a new global WMF policy that requires paid editors to connect to their adverts.

Subject-specific notability guidelines

  • The box at the right contains each of the subject-specific notability guidelines, please review any that are relevant BEFORE nominating an article for deletion.
  • Reviewers are requested to familiarise themselves with the new version of the notability guidelines for organisations and companies.

Not English

  • A common issue: Pages not in English or poor, unattributed machine translations should not reside in main space even if they are stubs. Please ensure you are familiar with WP:NPPNE. Check in Google for the language and content, tag as required, then move to draft if they do have potential.

News

  • Development is underway by the WMF on upgrades to the New Pages Feed, in particular ORES features that will help to identify COPYVIOs, and more granular options for selecting articles to review.
  • The next issue of The Signpost has been published. The newspaper is one of the best ways to stay up to date with news and new developments. between our newsletters.

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:35, 24 May 2018 (UTC)

NPP Backlog Elimination DriveEdit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel: there are currently 2900 unreviewed articles, and 4000 unreviewed redirects.

Announcing the Backlog Elimination Drive!

  • As a final push, we have decided to run a backlog elimination drive from the 20th to the 30th of June.
  • Reviewers who review at least 50 articles or redirects will receive a Special Edition NPP Barnstar:  . Those who review 100, 250, 500, or 1000 pages will also receive tiered awards:  ,  ,  ,  .
  • Please do not be hasty, take your time and fully review each page. It is extremely important that we focus on quality reviewing.

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. — Insertcleverphrasehere (or here) 06:57, 16 June 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 29 June 2018Edit

Subst and suchEdit

Hi TTO. I've been trying to get a basic grasp on subst and safsubst recently, and I see you have had it for years. Why, do you think, Special:Diff/849795156 ended up looking like that? Did you enter "revisionuser" manually in {{RMassist/core}} instead of using {{RMassist}} that includes a safesubst of REVISIONUSER? Sam Sailor 12:40, 11 July 2018 (UTC)

Yes, I did enter that manually. No idea why it didn't work. Perhaps I had a good grasp of subst and safesubst in 2011 when I wrote that page, but I have evidently lost touch with template substitution since then. — This, that and the other (talk) 23:51, 11 July 2018 (UTC)

I think you dropped somethingEdit

Is this yours? Primefac (talk) 13:12, 11 July 2018 (UTC)

@Primefac: Yeah, sorry about that. I thought I'd pitch in and enact a non-admin closure, but I was unaware that the destination title was salted, so I ended up having to ask for a requested move. It did get moved eventually. — This, that and the other (talk) 23:50, 11 July 2018 (UTC)
Cool, no worries. Primefac (talk) 00:07, 12 July 2018 (UTC)

NPR Newsletter No.12 30 July 2018Edit

 
Chart of the New Pages Patrol backlog for the past 6 months. (Purge)

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

June backlog drive

Overall the June backlog drive was a success, reducing the last 3,000 or so to below 500. However, as expected, 90% of the patrolling was done by less than 10% of reviewers.
Since the drive closed, the backlog has begun to rise sharply again and is back up to nearly 1,400 already. Please help reduce this total and keep it from raising further by reviewing some articles each day.

New technology, new rules
  • New features are shortly going to be added to the Special:NewPagesFeed which include a list of drafts for review, OTRS flags for COPYVIO, and more granular filter preferences. More details can be found at this page.
  • Probationary permissions: Now that PERM has been configured to allow expiry dates to all minor user rights, new NPR flag holders may sometimes be limited in the first instance to 6 months during which their work will be assessed for both quality and quantity of their reviews. This will allow admins to accord the right in borderline cases rather than make a flat out rejection.
  • Current reviewers who have had the flag for longer than 6 months but have not used the permissions since they were granted will have the flag removed, but may still request to have it granted again in the future, subject to the same probationary period, if they wish to become an active reviewer.
Editathons
  • Editathons will continue through August. Please be gentle with new pages that obviously come from good faith participants, especially articles from developing economies and ones about female subjects. Consider using the 'move to draft' tool rather than bluntly tagging articles that may have potential but which cannot yet reside in mainspace.
The Signpost
  • The next issue of the monthly magazine will be out soon. The newspaper is an excellent way to stay up to date with news and new developments between our newsletters. If you have special messages to be published, or if you would like to submit an article (one about NPR perhaps?), don't hesitate to contact the editorial team here.

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. Insertcleverphrasehere (or here) 00:00, 30 July 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 31 July 2018Edit

Bots Newsletter, August 2018Edit

Bots Newsletter, August 2018

Greetings!

Here is the 6th issue of the Bots Newsletter. You can subscribe/unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding/removing your name from this list.

Highlights for this newsletter include:

ARBCOM
  • Nothing particular important happened. Those who care already know, those who don't know wouldn't care. The curious can dig ARBCOM archives themselves.
BAG
  • There were no changes in BAG membership since the last Bots Newsletter. Headbomb went from semi-active to active.
  • In the last 3 months, only 3 BAG members have closed requests - help is needed with the backlog.
BOTREQs and BRFAs

As of writing, we have...

Also

Discussions

These are some of the discussions that happened / are still happening since the last Bots Newsletter. Many are stale, but some are still active.

New things

Thank you! edited by: Headbomb 15:04, 18 August 2018 (UTC)


(You can subscribe or unsubscribe from future newsletters by adding or removing your name from this list.)

The Signpost: 30 August 2018Edit

NPR Newsletter No.13 18 September 2018Edit

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

The New Page Feed currently has 2700 unreviewed articles, up from just 500 at the start of July. For a while we were falling behind by an average of about 40 articles per day, but we have stabilised more recently. Please review some articles from the back of the queue if you can (Sort by: 'Oldest' at Special:NewPagesFeed), as we are very close to having articles older than one month.

Project news
As part of this project, the feed will have some larger updates to functionality next month. Specifically, ORES predictions will be built in, which will automatically flag articles for potential issues such as vandalism or spam. Copyright violation detection will also be added to the new page feed. See the projects's talk page for more info.
Other
Moving to Draft and Page Mover
  • Some unsuitable new articles can be best reviewed by moving them to the draft space, but reviewers need to do this carefully and sparingly. It is most useful for topics that look like they might have promise, but where the article as written would be unlikely to survive AfD. If the article can be easily fixed, or if the only issue is a lack of sourcing that is easily accessible, tagging or adding sources yourself is preferable. If sources do not appear to be available and the topic does not appear to be notable, tagging for deletion is preferable (PROD/AfD/CSD as appropriate). See additional guidance at WP:DRAFTIFY.
  • If the user moves the draft back to mainspace, or recreates it in mainspace, please do not re-draftify the article (although swapping it to maintain the page history may be advisable in the case of copy-paste moves). AfC is optional except for editors with a clear conflict of interest.
  • Articles that have been created in contravention of our paid-editing-requirements or written from a blatant NPOV perspective, or by authors with a clear COI might also be draftified at discretion.
  • The best tool for draftification is User:Evad37/MoveToDraft.js(info). Kindly adapt the text in the dialogue-pop-up as necessary (the default can also be changed like this). Note that if you do not have the Page Mover userright, the redirect from main will be automatically tagged as CSD R2, but in some cases it might be better to make this a redirect to a different page instead.
  • The Page Mover userright can be useful for New Page Reviewers; occasionally page swapping is needed during NPR activities, and it helps avoid excessive R2 nominations which must be processed by admins. Note that the Page Mover userright has higher requirements than the NPR userright, and is generally given to users active at Requested Moves. Only reviewers who are very experienced and are also very active reviewers are likely to be granted it solely for NPP activities.
List of other useful scripts for New Page Reviewing

  • Twinkle provides a lot of the same functionality as the page curation tools, and some reviewers prefer to use the Twinkle tools for some/all tasks. It can be activated simply in the gadgets section of 'preferences'. There are also a lot of options available at the Twinkle preferences panel after you install the gadget.
  • In terms of other gadgets for NPR, HotCat is worth turning on. It allows you to easily add, remove, and change categories on a page, with name suggestions.
  • MoreMenu also adds a bunch of very useful links for diagnosing and fixing page issues.
  • User:Equazcion/ScriptInstaller.js(info): Installing scripts doesn't have to be complicated. Go to your common.js and copy importScript( 'User:Equazcion/ScriptInstaller.js' ); into an empty line, now you can install all other scripts with the click of a button from the script page! (Note you need to be at the ".js" page for the script for the install button to appear, not the information page)
  • User:TheJosh/Scripts/NewPagePatrol.js(info): Creates a scrolling new pages list at the left side of the page. You can change the number of pages shown by adding the following to the next line on your common.js page (immediately after the line importing this script): npp_num_pages=20; (Recommended 20, but you can use any number from 1 to 50).
  • User:Primefac/revdel.js(info): Is requesting revdel complicated and time consuming? This script helps simplify the process. Just have the Copyvio source URL and go to the history page and collect your diff IDs and you can drop them into the script Popups and it will create a revdel request for you.
  • User:Lourdes/PageCuration.js(info): Creates a "Page Curation" link to Special:NewPagesFeed up near your sandbox link.
  • User:Writ Keeper/Scripts/deletionFinder.js: Creates links next to the title of each page which show up if it has been previously deleted or nominated for deletion.
  • User:Evad37/rater.js(info): A fantastic tool for adding WikiProject templates to article talk pages. If you add: rater_autostartNamespaces = 0; to the next line on your common.js, the prompt will pop up automatically if a page has no Wikiproject templates on the talk page (note: this can be a bit annoying if you review redirects or dab pages commonly).

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:11, 17 September 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 1 October 2018Edit

Some TfD tagging for TTOBotEdit

Hi. I have a mass Tfd nomination at Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2018 October 7 which consists of 48 pages. Can your bot please tag all the template for deletion. Thanks. Pkbwcgs (talk) 10:04, 7 October 2018 (UTC)

@Pkbwcgs: I may not have time to do this in the coming few days, as I am extremely busy IRL right now. It's not an enormous task, so you might be able to find a taker at Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser/Tasks. — This, that and the other (talk) 10:09, 7 October 2018 (UTC)
I am doing it right now with AWB. Pkbwcgs (talk) 10:11, 7 October 2018 (UTC)

NPR Newsletter No.14 21 October 2018Edit

 
Chart of the New Pages Patrol backlog for the past 6 months.

Hello This, that and the other, thank you for your work reviewing New Pages!

Backlog

As of 21 October 2018, there are 3650 unreviewed articles and the backlog now stretches back 51 days.

Community Wishlist Proposal
Project updates
  • ORES predictions are now built-in to the feed. These automatically predict the class of an article as well as whether it may be spam, vandalism, or an attack page, and can be filtered by these criteria now allowing reviewers to better target articles that they prefer to review.
  • There are now tools being tested to automatically detect copyright violations in the feed. This detector may not be accurate all the time, though, so it shouldn't be relied on 100% and will only start working on new revisions to pages, not older pages in the backlog.
New scripts

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. — Insertcleverphrasehere (or here) 20:49, 21 October 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 28 October 2018Edit

NPR Newsletter No.15 16 November 2018Edit

 

Chart of the New Pages Patrol backlog for the past 6 months.

Hello This, that and the other,

Community Wishlist Survey – NPP needs you – Vote NOW
  • Community Wishlist Voting takes place 16 to 30 November for the Page Curation and New Pages Feed improvements, and other software requests. The NPP community is hoping for a good turnout in support of the requests to Santa for the tools we need. This is very important as we have been asking the Foundation for these upgrades for 4 years.
If this proposal does not make it into the top ten, it is likely that the tools will be given no support at all for the foreseeable future. So please put in a vote today.
We are counting on significant support not only from our own ranks, but from everyone who is concerned with maintaining a Wikipedia that is free of vandalism, promotion, flagrant financial exploitation and other pollution.
With all 650 reviewers voting for these urgently needed improvements, our requests would be unlikely to fail. See also The Signpost Special report: 'NPP: This could be heaven or this could be hell for new users – and for the reviewers', and if you are not sure what the wish list is all about, take a sneak peek at an article in this month's upcoming issue of The Signpost which unfortunately due to staff holidays and an impending US holiday will probably not be published until after voting has closed.

Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings. Insertcleverphrasehere (or here)18:37, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

ArbCom 2018 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, This, that and the other. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 3 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 1 December 2018Edit

NPR Newsletter No.16 15 December 2018Edit

Hello This, that and the other,

Reviewer of the Year

This year's award for the Reviewer of the Year goes to Onel5969. Around on Wikipedia since 2011, their staggering number of 26,554 reviews over the past twelve months makes them, together with an additional total of 275,285 edits, one of Wikipedia's most prolific users.

Thanks are also extended for their work to JTtheOG (15,059 reviews), Boleyn (12,760 reviews), Cwmhiraeth (9,001 reviews), Semmendinger (8,440 reviews), PRehse (8,092 reviews), Arthistorian1977 (5,306 reviews), Abishe (4,153 reviews), Barkeep49 (4,016 reviews), and Elmidae (3,615 reviews).
Cwmhiraeth, Semmendinger, Barkeep49, and Elmidae have been New Page Reviewers for less than a year — Barkeep49 for only seven months, while Boleyn, with an edit count of 250,000 since she joined Wikipedia in 2008, has been a bastion of New Page Patrol for many years.

See also the list of top 100 reviewers.

Less good news, and an appeal for some help

The backlog is now approaching 5,000, and still rising. There are around 640 holders of the NPR flag, most of whom appear to be inactive. The 10% of the reviewers who do 90% of the work could do with some support especially as some of them are now taking a well deserved break.


Really good news - NPR wins the Community Wishlist Survey 2019

At #1 position, the Community Wishlist poll closed on 3 December with a resounding success for NPP, reminding the WMF and the volunteer communities just how critical NPP is to maintaining a clean encyclopedia and the need for improved tools to do it. A big 'thank you' to everyone who supported the NPP proposals. See the results.


Training video

Due to a number of changes having been made to the feed since this three-minute video was created, we have been asked by the WMF for feedback on the video with a view to getting it brought up to date to reflect the new features of the system. Please leave your comments here, particularly mentioning how helpful you find it for new reviewers.


If you wish to opt-out of future mailings, go here.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:14, 14 December 2018 (UTC)

The Signpost: 24 December 2018Edit

The Signpost: 31 January 2019Edit

Mass deletion nomination of templatesEdit

Hey, I was wondering if your bot User:TTObot could help me nominate all templates in Category:Elementbox templates. Template:Elementbox was converted into Template:Infobox element which uses a different syntax and does not use any of these templates which are marked as deprecated. --Gonnym (talk) 12:49, 6 February 2019 (UTC)

The Signpost: 28 February 2019Edit

NPR Newsletter No.17Edit

Hello This, that and the other,

News
Discussions of interest
  • Two elements of CSD G6 have been split into their own criteria: R4 for redirects in the "File:" namespace with the same name as a file or redirect at Wikimedia Commons (Discussion), and G14 for disambiguation pages which disambiguate zero pages, or have "(disambiguation)" in the title but disambiguate a single page (Discussion).
  • {{db-blankdraft}} was merged into G13 (Discussion)
  • A discussion recently closed with no consensus on whether to create a subject-specific notability guideline for theatrical plays.
  • There is an ongoing discussion on a proposal to create subject-specific notability guidelines for chemicals and organism taxa.
Reminders
  • NPR is not a binary keep / delete process. In many cases a redirect may be appropriate. The deletion policy and its associated guideline clearly emphasise that not all unsuitable articles must be deleted. Redirects are not contentious. See a classic example of the templates to use. More templates are listed at the R template index. Reviewers who are not aware, do please take this into consideration before PROD, CSD, and especially AfD because not even all admins are aware of such policies, and many NAC do not have a full knowledge of them.
NPP Tools Report
  • Superlinks – allows you to check an article's history, logs, talk page, NPP flowchart (on unpatrolled pages) and more without navigating away from the article itself.
  • copyvio-check – automatically checks the copyvio percentage of new pages in the background and displays this info with a link to the report in the 'info' panel of the Page curation toolbar.
  • The NPP flowchart now has clickable hyperlinks.

Six Month Queue Data: Today – Low – 2393 High – 4828
Looking for inspiration? There are approximately 1000 female biographies to review.
Stay up to date with even more news – subscribe to The Signpost.


Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings.

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:18, 15 March 2019 (UTC)

The Signpost: 31 March 2019Edit

The Signpost: 30 April 2019Edit

NPR Newsletter No.18Edit

Hello This, that and the other,

WMF at work on NPP Improvements

Niharika Kohli, a product manager for the growth team, announced that work is underway in implementing improvements to New Page Patrol as part of the 2019 Community Wishlist and suggests all who are interested watch the project page on meta. Two requested improvements have already been completed. These are:

  • Allow filtering by no citations in page curation
  • Not having CSD and PRODs automatically marked as reviewed, reflecting current consensus among reviewers and current Twinkle functionality.
Reliable Sources for NPP

Rosguill has been compiling a list of reliable sources across countries and industries that can be used by new page patrollers to help judge whether an article topic is notable or not. At this point further discussion is needed about if and how this list should be used. Please consider joining the discussion about how this potentially valuable resource should be developed and used.

Backlog drive coming soon

Look for information on the an upcoming backlog drive in our next newsletter. If you'd like to help plan this drive, join in the discussion on the New Page Patrol talk page.

News
Discussions of interest

Six Month Queue Data: Today – 7242 Low – 2393 High – 7250


Stay up to date with even more news – subscribe to The Signpost.
Go here to remove your name if you wish to opt-out of future mailings.
Delivered by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) on behalf of DannyS712 (talk) at 19:17, 17 May 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "This, that and the other".