User talk:The Rambling Man
"ERRORS is dead, long live ERRORS"
The real Main Page errors can be found here. Feel free to contribute, and help keep the Main Page error-free!
|'ONE THOUSAND UP!!!!!' |
We're 182 days in and we've identified and fixed more than 1100 errors! Thanks again to everyone involved in maintaining the integrity of the main page! We're making a real difference to the readers!!
Happy New Year!Edit
Gwin poeth sbeislyd i chi ...Edit
|... gan yr hen Gymro; rwy'n gobeithio eich bod wedi cael gwyliau Nadolig gwych ac rwy'n dymuno 2019 heddychlon i chi!|
That is Welsh and translates to:
Spicy hot wine for you from the old Welshman; I hope you have had a great Christmas holiday and I wish you a peaceful 2019!
Thank you for your excellent work on the 'pedia.
Sincerely, Gareth Griffith-Jones (contribs) (talk) 14:26, 1 January 2019 (UTC)
Less tired: Please check out "Happy" once more, for a smile, and sharing (a Nobel Peace Prize), and resolutions. I wanted that for 1 January, but then wasn't sad about having our music pictured instead. Not too late for resolutions, New Year or not. DYK that he probably kept me on Wikipedia, back in 2012? By the line (which brought him to my attention, and earned the first precious in br'erly style) that I added to my editnotice, in fond memory? --Gerda Arendt (talk) 14:53, 12 January 2019 (UTC)
- Not at all, just making up for lost time. And waiting for that first absurd block based on the absurd Arbcom wording! Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right.... etc. The Rambling Man (talk) 10:09, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
- Will do. The later career stuff is not particularly clear in Finch, or anyone else for that matter. The Rambling Man (talk) 11:43, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
Sorry to've dragged you into this request for DYK-related advice. I'd thought you were just circumscribed from posting at DYK itself, not from talking about it. That seems a bit much, and it's a loss to the community when someone who knows more about a process than probably anyone is barred from sharing any advice about it. :-( — SMcCandlish ☏ ¢ 😼 20:19, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
- I'm not even sure I can respond to this post, but thanks, we'll see I guess. You can thank Arbcom in their wisdom for making such a disruptive move, and voting on it all while the wording of the decision was being changed, even up to the last minute. There's a saying about asylums and inmates etc, but I'm sure that doesn't even apply. The Rambling Man (talk) 20:29, 2 January 2019 (UTC)
Peer review requestEdit
2018 Year in ReviewEdit
|Military history service award|
|For you work on Wright Brothers Memorial Trophy, which includes the names of famous military personnel and those who worked for defense contractors, you are hereby presented with the Military history WikiProject Service 1 stripe. Congrats! TomStar81 (Talk) 19:13, 4 January 2019 (UTC)|
Hi, if you get a moment would you be able to have a read over Rust (video game)? I've read it so many times that I can't really comment on it anymore. Additionally, as I effectively wrote everything, I know exactly what I'm trying to say but I don't know whether someone unfamilair with the game does. I don't have a peer review open at the moment so if you find enough problems to warrant one, please let me know. I plan to eventually get it to FA. Anarchyte (talk | work) 11:33, 5 January 2019 (UTC)
- Anarchyte so sorry, just remembered to check my talk page, it's been neglected lately as a result of the Arbcom bollocks, and my focus on other things. Do you still want me to take a look at Rust? The Rambling Man (talk) 19:05, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
Happy New Year - and a barnstarEdit
|The Copyeditor's Barnstar|
|For the 1000 milestone...|
Thank you for all you do to keep Wikipedia from being caught with our trousers down! WJBscribe (talk) 15:38, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
Following on your suggestion, are there any projects with lists that you've found particularly useful? As you will have seen from the pings, I'm going to make a start on compiling something for WPFooty. If there's something I could use as a benchmark, that'd be useful. Thanks, Nzd (talk) 23:49, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
Good morning. I'm asking more out of curiosity rather than a desire to make any changes, but can you tell me which is correct: to put quotation marks before or after full stops and commas? In the Alf Ramsey article, there are 28 examples of ." and 124 examples of ". There are 16 examples of ," and 15 examples of ",
Regarding my recent edit, is there a general rule for including short forms of names? Most other club pages I've seen don't include this, and it jogged my memory of a similar issue from a couple of years ago when something similar came up. From what I gathered the MoS for Football doesn't mention a particular style, and several other commenters seemed to highlight this too . Samuel J Walker (talk) 23:12, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
- No, we just go with consensus, rather than imposing our own personal views, and this is a FA so we'll stick with that unless you fancy starting a discussion on the talkpage about it. Cheers. The Rambling Man (talk) 23:18, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
I have unreviewed a page you curatedEdit
Hi, I'm Serial Number 54129. I wanted to let you know that I saw the page you reviewed, User:The Rambling Man/ERRORS/archive7, and have marked it as unpatrolled. If you have any questions, please ask them on my talk page. Thank you.
Message delivered via the Page Curation tool, on behalf of the reviewer.
Hi. I don't know much about the history of the situation which caused you to start this userpage, but I for one would welcome your contributions to WP:ERRORS. Your reports seem accurate and to the point. I suspect errors would get fixed even quicker if we combined resources, and often we have parallel discussions going on which can cause confusion as participants in one discussion are not aware of the other discussion.
I also like the style of that page with the tables and think we could copy that format at ERRORS. The colour coding is also a great idea and would allow admins to prioritise real errors over the less urgent "nitpicking" type of reports.
- Thanks but no thanks. The other ERRORS place is pretty hopeless and often patrolled by people who create a toxic atmosphere. I'm content for anyone to use my approach wherever they like though, and since we passed 1,100 errors fixed the other day (in just six months), I think WP:TRM is working really well. Cheers for the note. The Rambling Man (talk) 14:37, 23 January 2019 (UTC)