|This talk page is automatically archived. Any threads with no replies in 14 days may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
If you're here because you want SuggestBot to send you suggestions, please see the instructions at the top of User:SuggestBot. We offer both subscription services and the possibility of receiving a single set of suggestions.
Feedback on recommendations, ideas for new features, questions about how SuggestBot works, or anything else related to SuggestBot are all examples of topics welcome below. A bot moves older feedback to the archives regularly, there is also an archive in User:SuggestBot/FeedbackArchive. Thanks for stopping by to let us you what you think! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 11:07, 25 December 2013 (UTC)
Reverts included in suggestion?Edit
Long story short I used to have Korean-topic articles in my suggestions but after a bunch of mass revert on corporations vandalism I got a suggestbot message full of corp. related suggestions. I'm not that interested in that topic — countetvandalism works are not always within my interest, so maybe something tagged as rollback can be excluded from suggestion? — regards, Revi 00:33, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
- Filed issue #32 as I saw the GitHub link above. — regards, Revi 00:38, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
Weird selection by SuggestBotEdit
I tried to get suggested articles by including the following on the Teahouse/Suggestions page:
What I got was the following list, which doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with either linguistics or Western New York.
This is not very high priority, but it makes me wonder how SuggestBot makes its selections when I specifically gave two categories I was interested in.
Articles you might like to edit, from SuggestBotEdit
SuggestBot predicts that you will enjoy editing some of these articles. Have fun!
Note: All columns in this table are sortable, allowing you to rearrange the table so the articles most interesting to you are shown at the top. All images have mouse-over popups with more information. For more information about the columns and categories, please consult the documentation and please get in touch on SuggestBot's talk page with any questions you might have.
SuggestBot picks articles in a number of ways based on other articles you've edited, including straight text similarity, following wikilinks, and matching your editing patterns against those of other Wikipedians. It tries to recommend only articles that other Wikipedians have marked as needing work. Your contributions make Wikipedia better — thanks for helping.
- Hi Jkgree, thanks for getting in touch about this! You're absolutely correct that this behavior is unexpected since you did supply the bot with some categories of interest. My first thought was that the categories didn't have articles (or article talk pages) in them, but that's not the case, there's plenty of them there. So somehow SuggestBot didn't pick those up. I've filed it as an issue on GitHub so this is documented, and I'll investigate and see what I can do to not make this happen again. Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 15:30, 18 July 2019 (UTC)
suggesting my own articles to meEdit
In the most recent lucky dip https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk%3AStuartyeates&type=revision&diff=906605905&oldid=906310011 many of the biographies are ones I've created. That seems a little off to me. Stuartyeates (talk) 00:25, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Stuartyeates, thanks for bringing this up! I hear your concern about this, I'm sure it's annoying to see a list of articles that perhaps mainly consists of ones you've created.
- Let me sketch out how I'm thinking about this, and then I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as well. I'm not sure it's inherently bad that SuggestBot recommends articles you've created, it's instead a question of how recently you created them. If it's been a couple of years, then it might be useful to get a message that indicates that they're in need of improvement, potentially motivating you to take another look and see if something can be done. However, if they were created more recently, then it's probably just bothersome. So I see it mainly as related to temporality, meaning that if SuggestBot can look further back into your edit history and exclude things you've edited (which means it also excludes creations) then we're doing okay. At the moment there are plans to do just that (it's also related to the thread above about better handling of reverts), and this thread can help me make better decisions about how to do that well.
- What are your thoughts about this? Let me know. Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 16:18, 31 July 2019 (UTC)
Dear manager of this bot, thank you very much, i use this bot and helped me a little to find ideas, as i am a new user. I would like to ask if it can be operated in the greek wikipedia, because i am a greek and i have nearly no edits there, so i would like some suggestions to start. Best regards, Enivak (talk) 09:47, 26 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Enivak and thanks for the kind words! There are possibilities of bringing SuggestBot to the Greek Wikipedia, but the process takes a bit of time since I want to make sure there are a group of users in the community that are interested in having the bot there. It also usually needs categories of articles in need of improvement for it to work (e.g. Category:All pages needing cleanup here on English Wikipedia). I'm not sure if those types of categories are in use on Greek Wikipedia.
- Another user recently asked me a similar question but for Albanian Wikipedia (see this thread on my talk page). As you can see there, the process usually starts with a discussion on the given wiki (Greek in your case). Hope this was helpful, and let me know what follow-up questions you might have. Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 15:58, 31 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Nettrom: Thanks for your response! I saw the discussion you linked. I will raise this in the Greek wikipedia, you may get an response from an admin there. Hope this works in the Albanian wiki also! Best regards, Enivak (talk) 16:17, 31 July 2019 (UTC)
- As I can see, there is some willingness there, I will wait to learn about their categories. Enivak (talk) 12:48, 1 August 2019 (UTC)
A question about the proposal listEdit
...does the bot consider people's AFD closes when creating its suggestions? Because I don't know whether it should ... because of the involvement rules, I suspect a lot of admins do not choose the AFDs to close on the basis of how interested they are in its topic. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 18:55, 19 September 2019 (UTC)