User talk:Star Mississippi/Archives/2008/December
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
Steve Carlson (singer) deletion(?)
I hope you had a good vacation.
I am a reader but never a contributor. (I felt I had nothing to contribute). But now I have a guestion, or 2, about a deleted page. I hope to understand why it was deleted and maybe find a way to get it back or get someone to create a new one with the proper format.
The page was Steve Carlson (singer) at this address: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Steve_Carlson_(singer)&action=edit&redlink=1
I want to be clear about the fact that I did not create or have anything to do with this page. Again, just a reader...a fan...
It shows that the page was deleted based on these items:
Blatant self-promo. Does not meet notability guidelines for bios. —Preceding unsigned comment added by RobHutten (talk • contribs) 2008/11/02 03:59:04
This AfD nomination was incomplete. It is listed now. DumbBOT (talk) 13:46, 5 November 2008 (UTC) Note: This debate has been included in the list of Bands and musicians-related deletion discussions. -- Fabrictramp | talk to me 15:06, 5 November 2008 (UTC) Delete Fails WP:BIO. Jeremiah (talk) 21:07, 5 November 2008 (UTC) Delete. I simply could not find sources that would allow him to pass WP:MUSIC. Simply put, his official website and official MySpace are not reliable third-party sources. DARTH PANDAduel 02:11, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Since I didn't write the article about Steve Carlson (singer), I am unsure of the problem with the content...as to it being "an advertisment". My understanding is that this is a place to discuss/show the accomplishment of that person, group or thing. How are you able to show what they have done without stating their acheivments. If they are a musician wouldn't you need to state their completed albums and what they might be working on at this time? Maybe I'm understanding this wrong, or mis-stating what I mean....I guess I see it as a very fine line to walk and just want to get a better understanding.
The deletion reasons also say "Delete Fails WP:BIO" and "WP:MUSIC"...would additional resource items have made a difference in the decision if looked at along with his Myspace and website, instead of those 2 pages alone?
Here are some of the Bio items, interview/articles from 3rd parties that show more about how noteable he is....the web addresses refer to where the information can be seen to confirm the info...
---Steve is listed on Imdb showing his contributions as a singer, composer and even actor : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1664501/
---There is a Video song clip from Interview/ Article here: http://www.2theadvocate.com/entertainment/video/10654056.html
---The latest album "Stripped Down" was a CDbaby top seller for over 2 months (I'm sure that can be verified with CDbaby)
--He has multiple albums available on CDbaby and itunes both notable sites for musicians. CDbaby for independent artist and itunes for everyone who has a quality product to sell.
---Here is a review on the website of TV Guide of a Steve Carlson show under News and Reviews by M R Reed Posted by ladytalon Jan 6, 2008 3:00 PM : http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/News-Reviews-M/Steve-Carlson-Concert/800030298
---He is a regular performer at the TV show "Supernatural" conventions, and he is a fan favorite. Here's info on an upcoming convention next year, this one at sea: http://www.eyeconfla.com/eyecruise/index-1.html And here is the write up that they did about Steve: http://www.eyeconfla.com/eyecruise/stevecarlson.html
And there are more available online but I believe that these examples help to show that he is a musician, composer, and singer of note.
What would need to be done to restore the previously deleted page? Does any of the information above help to change your decision to delete? Again it wasn't my page but I would really like to see this wonderful singer back on your pages.
- Hi ALi and thanks for the note. Sorry for the delay but I was traveling. As you can seem the article was deleted following a discussion. If you think yo can improve on the article via reliable sources, I suggest you create a draft of the article in your sandbox, for example at User:Ali23mar/Steve Carlson (singer) and then we can see if that meets the guidelines for articles. Would you like the text of the old article to work with? Let me know. StarM 00:51, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
Hello Miss Cari
Hey Miss Cari! Why did you change your user name? Anyway see Bangkok Art and Culture Centre. Good to see things are developing a little with images! Anyway if you want to find images for museums but can't find any try lokking under here.
White cat 17:27, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- Isn't that fun when a user (and one that, ironically, changed his username recently) drops in on your page and hints at your old username? What fun! Good job, Baldy! What a
SPECTRESPECTACLE!!! :-) Just messin'. That said, hope you're well, StarM. Had to rub some things in, now that the Williams Brothers have stayed their executions, my boys can't help but win, even while apparently trying to lose it seems. Apparently, the Giants can't win without Plaxico. I suppose I could say they've really shot themselves in the foot by letting HIM go...:-) And, may I ask...any logical reason, besides the fact that millions of juveniles are actively creating articles at any given moment, why the articles are called Kevin Williams (defensive tackle) and Pat Williams (American football). Are we really a rolling stone? Do we really have no MOS???. Keeper ǀ 76 04:25, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
- Ah 76, your back. I'm happy to see you've finally agreed to take that medication ;-) TravelingStar, or whatever, is getting her ass burnt somewhere where they've only seen snow in the movies. Regarding the name inconsistency, it looks like the sport, as in "american football" usually disambiguates, as by Pat Williams. By Kevin Williams, since there are two Kevin Williams football players, the name had to be position-specific. --brewcrewer (yada, yada) 05:05, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
Hi all, I'm back, though I've declared watch list amnesty and am starting over. Cancun was wonderful, including watching the sad loss against the birds. That said, I called that one in the beginning of the season -- said they'd split with Philly. Sadly I hope I'm wrong about this week (Called a split there too) because I'd like to bury Dallas' season. Keep, you almost lost to Tan's boys -- for a while I was looking at that score as an escample of what was wrong in football this week but then you pulled it out. The 28th should be a good one. Speaking honestly and not just in defense of my team, I don't think Plax was there issue -- they've won x3 without him and lost once with him. I'd much rather see a poorly executed game now then when it matters, I don't think there's a systemic weakness, but don't get me started on Sabathia.
Bloe, will look. Name is a long story that I'd rather not get into on wiki. The new name, however, is from one of my favourite songs. Brew, thanks for the explanation. Baseball has some odd disambigs as well. StarM 00:46, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- Look at you, all sunburnt and popping up on my watchlist! Did you run into the savior at the airport? Did you help him carry his suitcases full of cash? I just got involved in a weird bugaboo with my new set-up man here. It doesn't look like I will achieve any sort of consensus, but I don't get it. It's just so weird to have spaces in between initials. Whatever, --brewcrewer (yada, yada) 01:05, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- Shockingly un sunburnt. Well relatively so. I also don't look like I came back from Cancun because Caritan is not normal people tan. Interesting discussion. I can't say I'd notice in the article title whether or not there was a space since the non preferred one (at the moment) redirects, as does JJ Putz, which is what I'd be likely to type in my laziness. I didn't want CC and that's how he'll be refered to, so I don't have to learn to spell the last name. What do you think of K Rod? I think he could be good, but 57 saves worries me the same as CC's inning count. Arm going to fall off? StarM 01:17, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not worried about CC, he has reserved energy in his pot-belly. Reminds me of Boomer a bit who didn't take care of himself and just pitched from his pot. The K-Rod//Putz situation might prove interesting. If K-Rod struggles, it will turn into a quarterback controversy with everyone yelling for the "backup" JJ to take over. It puts added pressure on krod. We'll see. --brewcrewer (yada, yada) 01:23, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- Reminds me of Sid Fernandez and Valenzuela as well. We'll see what happens. All I know is I wouldn't want to pitch in this zoo. Is Wagner done and gone for 2009? I'd missed that. What worries me is that our rotation as of this moemnt is: CC, a hopefully healthy Wang, ?, ? and ?. Possibly Joba if he can go a full seaon from the rotation, possibly Aceves.... EEek. We don't have the offense to win 10-9. StarM 01:27, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- 2009, I think he needs to be mixed use so as not to kill the arm. Because he was hurt last season and didn't get up to the number of innings they wanted (don't remember what it was) I think he needs to either start with set short starts (leading to bullpen issues if we don't have a long reliever) or be that long reliever to build arm strength before moving full time into the rotation. That said, I think he'll be a starter in 2010. I think he's a good closer or set-up but he's wasted there. He has the goods to go more than one inning. StarM 01:45, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
The Handsome Family
Although this article may have been correctly deleted due to copyright infringement, the band is notable (see the allmusic bio for instance), and there is no reason to remove links to them. Could you undo all of the link-removal please - I will add an article over the weekend if nobody else does it first. Thanks. --Michig (talk) 08:22, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- I've created a new article on the band and restored the links. I can understand the removal of links when an article is speedied because the subject isn't notable and never will be, but when an article on a notable subject is speedied for copyvio, I don't see the logic in removing the links. When an article has as many incoming links as this one does, that should be an indication that an article is probably merited and the links should be left alone. I found this cached version of the article, and to be honest, I doubt that this was speedyable as copyvio - text in the article appears on other sites, but they appear to have sourced that text from Wikipedia. Maybe it was later overwritten as a cut and paste from elsewhere?--Michig (talk) 18:36, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- Undoing the links was a twinkle mistake, I'd never seen it do that before. The article was a copy paste from their official bio, it being on other sites doesn't make that right. That said, you did a good job with the re-write. StarM 03:52, 13 December 2008 (UTC)
Articles you might like to edit, from SuggestBot
SuggestBot predicts that you will enjoy editing some of these articles. Have fun!
SuggestBot picks articles in a number of ways based on other articles you've edited, including straight text similarity, following wikilinks, and matching your editing patterns against those of other Wikipedians. It tries to recommend only articles that other Wikipedians have marked as needing work. Your contributions make Wikipedia better -- thanks for helping.
Unblock Request Notification
Hello, Star Mississippi/Archives/2008! A user you have blocked, Bronxmuseum, has requested to be unblocked, and your username is listed on my notification opt-in page. The unblock request is on his user talk page here. If you no longer want to recieve these notifications, remove your name from my list. If you would like to be notified about future unblock requests from this user, remove this template from your page. Thank you, DavidWSBot (talk) 01:18, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
I was working on a "company page" and I wanted to make sure Wikipedia several admins would approve the page. Whenever you have time, could you give me some pointers on how to improve the page? The page has to go through a DRV before it can get back up. Any feedback is much appreciated!