Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
- Tool of the week
- Ptable displays the periodic table automatically extracted from information provided by Wikidata; it also provides a check that all the elements are there with some basic properties. Additional pages provide charts of the nuclides under different criteria such as half-life. Each element or nuclide is linked to its Wikidata item for more information or to edit if necessary.
- Did you know?
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: Open Data portal, theorised by, DOI formatter, set in environment, academic appointment
- External identifiers: House Divided ID, thefreedictionary medical term ID, People's Representative Council of Indonesia ID, Grove Art Online ID, Supreme Court of Sweden case number, KBpedia ID, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency OBJECTID, Oxford Bibliographies ID, Swiss Timber Bridges ID
- New property proposals to review:
- General datatypes: taxon synonym string, PM20 subject code, PM20 geo code, number of downloads, Interactive element, course, Zoning symbol, vanDerWaalsConstant, has pattern
- External identifiers: AlloCiné theater ID, Cistercian Biography Online ID, Pitchfork artist ID, Archive Of Our Own tag, Austrian encyclopedia of music online, Swiss Tunnel ID, ANZSRC 2020 FoR ID, CPJF ID, TripAdvisor ID 2, Wien Kulturgut: Kunstwerke im öffentlichen Raum ID, public transport stop, Homebrew formula name, Offizielle Deutsche Charts song ID, British Museum object ID, ToS;DR service numerical identifier, code EHESS d'une commune, IAPH code, ProtonDB video game ID
- Query examples:
- More work on the consistent design system (Phabricator board)
- More work on decoupling the different Wikibase extensions from each other
- Polishing the first step of Federation (using Wikidata's Properties in another Wikibase installation) (incl. preventing users from selecting a federated property with a non-supported data type (phab:T252012) and preventing users from accessing Special:NewProperty when federation is enabled (phab:T255576) and viewing a list of all properties when federation is enabled (phab:T246339))
- Continuing research and interviews around the topic of making it easier to access Wikidata's data for programmers
- Doing first testing of mockups and prototypes of the first version of the Query Builder - coding can start soon
- Convert a few properties from string to external identifier: Linguasphere code (P1396), KOATUU identifier (P1077) and ISIN (P946)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.