Open main menu

Hi alanscottwalker, I noticed you reverted the introduction that I posted to the Ida B. Wells article back to the original. You cite that it was too long, but there were a number of important and substantive changes that I spent a lot of time documenting - and I do not exceed the four paragraph guidance. I'd like to repost, but want to talk specifically about what you'd like to remove from the original post to shorten it. Please let me know if you would like to co-edit a new introduction in a sandbox. 192.70.253.18 (talk) 22:03, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Hi. Two minor things first, usually you should put new messages at the bottom of a talk page but I will keep this here for now, and you did not sign in with your account, you should do that. As to the article, the one I reverted if I remember correctly was much, much more than four paragraphs. If you want to take another run at it (all your work is there in the history of the article, see the history tab), I would suggest you put a shorter version on the talk page of the article (Talk:Ida B. Wells) at the bottom. Title it. "Proposed introduction". I am sure we and other editors can iron it out. Alanscottwalker (talk) 22:21, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

User talk:Alanscottwalker/archive1

User talk:Alanscottwalker/archive2

User talk:Alanscottwalker/archive3

I started using one-click-archiver in 2017, it labeled the new page with a Capital 'A':

User talk:Alanscottwalker/Archive 1


Contents

Season's GreetingsEdit

Spread the WikiLove; use {{subst:Season's Greetings1}} to send this message

Happy New Year, Alanscottwalker!Edit

   Send New Year cheer by adding {{subst:Happy New Year fireworks}} to user talk pages.

Administrators' newsletter – January 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (December 2017).

  Administrator changes

  Muboshgu
  AnetodeLaser brainWorm That Turned
  None

  Bureaucrat changes

  Worm That Turned

  Guideline and policy news

  • A request for comment is in progress to determine whether the administrator policy should be amended to require disclosure of paid editing activity at WP:RFA and to prohibit the use of administrative tools as part of paid editing activity, with certain exceptions.

  Technical news

  Arbitration


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:37, 3 January 2018 (UTC)

Generation X pageEdit

To avoid an edit war please go to the talk page to discuss it further. Thank you!Aboutbo2000 (talk) 21:03, 5 January 2018 (UTC)

ARCAEdit

What's the arb case you're referring to? --NeilN talk to me 01:34, 7 January 2018 (UTC)

[1] You really have to consider, the inevitable back and forth of were those words 'clear violation' 'was that really a violation' 'yes, it was a violation, but no one should care', 'the way the ban is worded is crap' etc etc etc 'every enforcement is a naziplot'. 'lets have several rounds of appeals', and on and on. Alanscottwalker (talk) 01:53, 7 January 2018 (UTC)
Thanks. I do note an enhanced civility restriction was enacted, though. --NeilN talk to me 02:07, 7 January 2018 (UTC)
You call that enhanced? It's all just a weird way through a tortuous process to try to say something similar to what was said before 'but we think this might be a little clearer because it's all just so hard.' And even then, that new wording caused a ton of drama later. Alanscottwalker (talk) 02:12, 7 January 2018 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

  The Barnstar of Diplomacy
I appreciate your contributions regarding my topic ban as well as your thoughts on Arbitration Enforcement. --MONGO 13:09, 10 January 2018 (UTC)
Thank you. And good wishes to you. Alanscottwalker (talk) 13:21, 10 January 2018 (UTC)

Jean Baptiste Point du SableEdit


Andrew JacksonEdit

I think this article is close to promotion to FA. I recall collaborating with you on other POTUS articles and thought you may like to take a look and offer your comments or support for promotion. Thanks. Hoppyh (talk) 19:50, 26 January 2018 (UTC)

Civility in infobox discussions case openedEdit

You were recently listed as a party to or recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility in infobox discussions. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility in infobox discussions/Evidence. Please add your evidence by February 17, 2018, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Civility in infobox discussions/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:49, 3 February 2018 (UTC)

Another Daily Mail RfCEdit

There is an RfC at Talk:Daily Mail#Request for comment: Other criticisms section. Your input would be most helpful. --Guy Macon (talk) 12:20, 1 March 2018 (UTC)

Thanks!Edit

Thanks for correcting my incorrect edit of Rockefeller's article. I don't know why I missed that "m." indicating marriage!! I only make minor grammatical edits, generally, and was surprised to see I goofed.

Best wishes!TobusRex (talk) 10:04, 25 April 2018 (UTC)

No worries. You may consider adding a pipelink with the 'm.' to Marriage, if you think that would help. Alanscottwalker (talk) 11:30, 25 April 2018 (UTC)

Invitation to WikiProject PortalsEdit

The Portals WikiProject has been rebooted.

You are invited to join, and participate in the effort to revitalize and improve the Portal system and all the portals in it.

There are sections on the WikiProject page dedicated to tasks (including WikiGnome tasks too), and areas on the talk page for discussing the improvement and automation of the various features of portals.

Many complaints have been lodged in the RfC to delete all portals, pointing out their various problems. They say that many portals are not maintained, or have fallen out of date, are useless, etc. Many of the !votes indicate that the editors who posted them simply don't believe in the potential of portals anymore.

It's time to change all that. Let's give them reasons to believe in portals, by revitalizing them.

The best response to a deletion nomination is to fix the page that was nominated. The further underway the effort is to improve portals by the time the RfC has run its course, the more of the reasons against portals will no longer apply. RfCs typically run 30 days. There are 19 days left in this one. Let's see how many portals we can update and improve before the RfC is closed, and beyond.

A healthy WikiProject dedicated to supporting and maintaining portals may be the strongest argument of all not to delete.

We may even surprise ourselves and exceed all expectations. Who knows what we will be able to accomplish in what may become the biggest Wikicollaboration in years.

Let's do this.

See ya at the WikiProject!

Sincerely,    — The Transhumanist   10:18, 21 April 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – May 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2018).

  Administrator changes

  None
  ChochopkCoffeeGryffindorJimpKnowledge SeekerLankiveilPeridonRjd0060

  Guideline and policy news

  • The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is now indefinitely restricted to autoconfirmed users.
  • A proposal is being discussed which would create a new "event coordinator" right that would allow users to temporarily add the "confirmed" flag to new user accounts and to create many new user accounts without being hindered by a rate limit.

  Technical news

  • AbuseFilter has received numerous improvements, including an OOUI overhaul, syntax highlighting, ability to search existing filters, and a few new functions. In particular, the search feature can be used to ensure there aren't existing filters for what you need, and the new equals_to_any function can be used when checking multiple namespaces. One major upcoming change is the ability to see which filters are the slowest. This information is currently only available to those with access to Logstash.
  • When blocking anonymous users, a cookie will be applied that reloads the block if the user changes their IP. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. This currently only occurs when hard-blocking accounts.
  • The block notice shown on mobile will soon be more informative and point users to a help page on how to request an unblock, just as it currently does on desktop.
  • There will soon be a calendar widget at Special:Block, making it easier to set expiries for a specific date and time.

  Arbitration

  Obituaries

  • Lankiveil (Craig Franklin) passed away in mid-April. Lankiveil joined Wikipedia on 12 August 2004 and became an administrator on 31 August 2008. During his time with the Wikimedia community, Lankiveil served as an oversighter for the English Wikipedia and as president of Wikimedia Australia.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:05, 2 May 2018 (UTC)

German war effort arbitration case openedEdit

You were recently listed as a party to or recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/German war effort. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/German war effort/Evidence. Please add your evidence by May 30, 2018, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/German war effort/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, Kevin (aka L235 · t · c) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:01, 16 May 2018 (UTC)

Abolition of slavery in West VirginiaEdit

Hi there! I notice that you indicated in the edit history that a map I recently made (my first SVG map, actually!) was incorrect with respect to West Virginia. I had been wondering about that, and would be happy to stand corrected. Do you know when and how slavery was legally abolished in West Virginia? Q·L·1968 23:10, 20 May 2018 (UTC)

Yes. See Slave and free states#West Virginia, during the civil war, February 2, 1865 by state statute if memory serves. Alanscottwalker (talk) 23:14, 20 May 2018 (UTC) Sorry February 3 [2] Alanscottwalker (talk) 23:17, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
Brilliant! Thanks very much. I've now corrected that (though you may need to refresh to see the new version in your browser). Q·L·1968 23:23, 20 May 2018 (UTC)

Your comment at WP:ANEdit

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad that some people still understand allusion.   — Malik Shabazz Talk/Stalk 02:49, 24 May 2018 (UTC)

Thank you very muchEdit

The RfC discussion to eliminate portals was closed May 12, with the statement "There exists a strong consensus against deleting or even deprecating portals at this time." This was made possible because you and others came to the rescue. Thank you for speaking up.

By the way, the current issue of the Signpost features an article with interviews about the RfC and the Portals WikiProject.

I'd also like to let you know that the Portals WikiProject is working hard to make sure your support of portals was not in vain. Toward that end, we have been working diligently to innovate portals, while building, updating, upgrading, and maintaining them. The project has grown to 80 members so far, and has become a beehive of activity.

Our two main goals at this time are to automate portals (in terms of refreshing, rotating, and selecting content), and to develop a one-page model in order to make obsolete and eliminate most of the 150,000 subpages from the portal namespace by migrating their functions to the portal base pages, using technologies such as selective transclusion. Please feel free to join in on any of the many threads of development at the WikiProject's talk page, or just stop by to see how we are doing. If you have any questions about portals or portal development, that is the best place to ask them.

If you would like to keep abreast of developments on portals, keep in mind that the project's members receive updates on their talk pages. The updates are also posted here, for your convenience.

Again, we can't thank you enough for your support of portals, and we hope to make you proud of your decision. Sincerely,    — The Transhumanist   08:37, 25 May 2018 (UTC)

P.S.: if you reply to this message, please {{ping}} me. Thank you. -TT

social workerEdit

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Doria_Ragland&diff=843668539&oldid=843646825 hi - shes not a notable social worker, is she? this is your edit - https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Doria_Ragland&diff=843668539&oldid=843646825 19:52, 30 May 2018 (UTC)

Sure she is, we have an article about her. I stress the article is about her, it is her biography, it should be written about her. Alanscottwalker (talk) 19:55, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
Well, I'm happy to disagree with you, regards Govindaharihari (talk) 20:01, 30 May 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – June 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2018).

  Administrator changes

  None
  Al Ameer sonAliveFreeHappyCenariumLupoMichaelBillington

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • IP-based cookie blocks should be deployed to English Wikipedia in June. This will cause the block of a logged-out user to be reloaded if they change IPs. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. For the time being, it only affects users of the desktop interface.
  • The Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team will build granular types of blocks in 2018 (e.g. a block from uploading or editing specific pages, categories, or namespaces, as opposed to a full-site block). Feedback on the concept may be left at the talk page.
  • There is now a checkbox on Special:ListUsers to let you see only users in temporary user groups.
  • It is now easier for blocked mobile users to see why they were blocked.

  Arbitration

  • A recent technical issue with the Arbitration Committee's spam filter inadvertently caused all messages sent to the committee through Wikipedia (i.e. Special:EmailUser/Arbitration Committee) to be discarded. If you attempted to send an email to the Arbitration Committee via Wikipedia between May 16 and May 31, your message was not received and you are encouraged to resend it. Messages sent outside of these dates or directly to the Arbitration Committee email address were not affected by this issue.

  Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:59, 1 June 2018 (UTC)

File:Charles White artist.jpgEdit

Hi, I'm RonBot, a script that checks new non-free file uploads. I have found that the subject image that you recently uploaded was more than 5% in excess of the Non-free content guideline size of 100,000 pixels. I have tagged the image for a standard reduction, which (for jpg/gif/png/svg files) normally happens within a day. Please check the reduced image, and make sure that the image is not excessively corrupted. Other files will be added to Category:Wikipedia non-free file size reduction requests for manual processing. There is a full seven-day period before the original oversized image will be hidden; during that time you might want to consider editing the original image yourself (perhaps an initial crop to allow a smaller reduction or none at all). A formula for calculation the desired size can be found at WP:Image resolution, along with instructions on how to tag the image in the rare cases that it requires an oversized image (typically about 0.2% of non-free uploads are tagged as necessarily oversized). Please contact the bot owner if you have any questions, or you can ask them at Wikipedia talk:Non-free content. RonBot (talk) 17:14, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for June 9Edit

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Charles White (artist), you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Thirteenth Amendment (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are usually incorrect, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of unrelated topics with similar titles. (Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.)

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:00, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Arbitration requestEdit

You recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Andrevan. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Andrevan/Evidence. Please add your evidence by June 23, 2018, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Andrevan/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration.

If you no longer wish to receive notifications for this case please remove your name from the listing here

For the Arbitration Committee, Amortias (T)(C) 19:43, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for June 16Edit

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited List of museums focused on African Americans, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Carbondale (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:06, 16 June 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for June 25Edit

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Chicago River, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Goose Island (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:09, 25 June 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – July 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (June 2018).

  Administrator changes

  PbsouthwoodTheSandDoctor
  Gogo Dodo
  AndrevanDougEVulaKaisaLTony FoxWilyD

  Bureaucrat changes

  AndrevanEVula

  Guideline and policy news

  • An RfC about the deletion of drafts closed with a consensus to change the wording of WP:NMFD. Specifically, a draft that has been repeatedly resubmitted and declined at AfC without any substantial improvement may be deleted at MfD if consensus determines that it is unlikely to ever meet the requirements for mainspace and it otherwise meets one of the reasons for deletion outlined in the deletion policy.
  • A request for comment closed with a consensus that the {{promising draft}} template cannot be used to indefinitely prevent a WP:G13 speedy deletion nomination.

  Technical news

  • Starting on July 9, the WMF Security team, Trust & Safety, and the broader technical community will be seeking input on an upcoming change that will restrict editing of site-wide JavaScript and CSS to a new technical administrators user group. Bureaucrats and stewards will be able to grant this right per a community-defined process. The intention is to reduce the number of accounts who can edit frontend code to those who actually need to, which in turn lessens the risk of malicious code being added that compromises the security and privacy of everyone who accesses Wikipedia. For more information, please review the FAQ.
  • Syntax highlighting has been graduated from a Beta feature on the English Wikipedia. To enable this feature, click the highlighter icon ( ) in your editing toolbar (or under the hamburger menu in the 2017 wikitext editor). This feature can help prevent you from making mistakes when editing complex templates.
  • IP-based cookie blocks should be deployed to English Wikipedia in July (previously scheduled for June). This will cause the block of a logged-out user to be reloaded if they change IPs. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. For the time being, it only affects users of the desktop interface.

  Miscellaneous

  • Currently around 20% of admins have enabled two-factor authentication, up from 17% a year ago. If you haven't already enabled it, please consider doing so. Regardless if you use 2FA, please practice appropriate account security by ensuring your password is secure and unique to Wikimedia.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:22, 3 July 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – August 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (July 2018).

  Administrator changes

  Sro23
  KaisaLYmblanter

  Guideline and policy news

  • After a discussion at Meta, a new user group called "interface administrators" (formerly "technical administrator") has been created. Come the end of August, interface admins will be the only users able to edit site-wide JavaScript and CSS pages like MediaWiki:Common.js and MediaWiki:Common.css, or edit other user's personal JavaScript and CSS. The intention is to improve security and privacy by reducing the number of accounts which could be used to compromise the site or another user's account through malicious code. The new user group can be assigned and revoked by bureaucrats. Discussion is ongoing to establish details for implementing the group on the English Wikipedia.
  • Following a request for comment, the WP:SISTER style guideline now states that in the mainspace, interwiki links to Wikinews should only be made as per the external links guideline. This generally means that within the body of an article, you should not link to Wikinews about a particular event that is only a part of the larger topic. Wikinews links in "external links" sections can be used where helpful, but not automatically if an equivalent article from a reliable news outlet could be linked in the same manner.

  Technical news


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:31, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

Your commentEdit

Thank you for your comment, what's truly surprising is that those voting keep don't speak Spanish either. It was a simple machine translation of an article from es.wikipedia - there is a common "tell" in the opening line if you look. You may have missed it but they've now changed tack to argue that she is notable because she is used as the character in two romantic works of fiction. And I say they, since nearly all of those voting keep appeared after it was listed at a wikiproject and belong to that project. WCMemail 16:02, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/German war effort closedEdit

An arbitration case regarding German war effort articles has now closed and the final decision is viewable at the link above. The following remedies have been enacted:

  1. For engaging in harassment of other users, LargelyRecyclable is indefinitely banned from the English Wikipedia under any account.
  2. Cinderella157 is topic banned from the history of Germany from 1932 to 1945, broadly construed. This topic ban may be appealed after six months have elapsed and every six months thereafter.
  3. Auntieruth55 is reminded that project coordinators have no special roles in a content dispute, and that featured articles are not immune to sourcing problems.
  4. Editors are reminded that consensus-building is key to the purpose and development of Wikipedia. The most reliable sources should be used instead of questionable sourcing whenever possible, especially when dealing with sensitive topics. Long-term disagreement over local consensus in a topic area should be resolved through soliciting comments from the wider community, instead of being re-litigated persistently at the local level.
  5. While certain specific user-conduct issues have been identified in this decision, for the most part the underlying issue is a content dispute as to how, for example, the military records of World War II-era German military officers can be presented to the same extent as military records of officers from other periods, while placing their records and actions in the appropriate overall historical context. For better or worse, the Arbitration Committee is neither authorized nor qualified to resolve this content dispute, beyond enforcing general precepts such as those requiring reliable sourcing, due weighting, and avoidance of personal attacks. Nor does Wikipedia have any other editorial body authorized to dictate precisely how the articles should read outside the ordinary editing process. Knowledgeable editors who have not previously been involved in these disputes are urged to participate in helping to resolve them. Further instances of uncollegial behavior in this topic-area will not be tolerated and, if this occurs, may result in this Committee's accepting a request for clarification and amendment to consider imposition of further remedies, including topic-bans or discretionary sanctions.

For the Arbitration Committee,

-Cameron11598(Talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:32, 11 August 2018 (UTC)

Bell pageEdit

I removed this.

His blog is an SPS and is not useful as a reference for much other than his opinion, and we should not be reaching for opinion pieces on this page in any case. So the section is not about developing content.

You appear to have been using the article talk page to argue with him. The article talk page is not an appropriate forum for that, per WP:NOTFORUM. It is also weird, since he cannot respond.

I believe his blogs have comment sections if you want to argue with him. Jytdog (talk) 21:06, 17 August 2018 (UTC)

Disagree. I have undone your edit, as you are wrong, per WP:TALK. There is no rule against discussing published opinion pieces on the topic, and it is about the content of the article, the article already discusses the legal standard of Carlile report. Alanscottwalker (talk) 21:11, 17 August 2018 (UTC)
I'll bring this to ANI. Jytdog (talk) 21:48, 17 August 2018 (UTC)
done: Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/Incidents#NOTFORUM_at_George_Bell_(bishop). Jytdog (talk) 21:53, 17 August 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – September 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2018).

  Administrator changes

  None
  AsterionCrisco 1492KFKudpungLizRandykittySpartaz
  Optimist on the runVoice of Clam

  Interface administrator changes

  AmorymeltzerMr. StradivariusMusikAnimalMSGJTheDJXaosflux

  Guideline and policy news

  • Following a "stop-gap" discussion, six users have temporarily been made interface administrators while discussion is ongoing for a more permanent process for assigning the permission. Interface administrators are now the only editors allowed to edit sitewide CSS and JavaScript pages, as well as CSS/JS pages in another user's userspace. Previously, all administrators had this ability. The right can be granted and revoked by bureaucrats.

  Technical news

  • Because of a data centre test you will be able to read but not edit the wikis for up to an hour on 12 September and 10 October. This will start at 14:00 (UTC). You might lose edits if you try to save during this time. The time when you can't edit might be shorter than an hour.
  • Some abuse filter variables have changed. They are now easier to understand for non-experts. The old variables will still work but filter editors are encouraged to replace them with the new ones. You can find the list of changed variables on mediawiki.org. They have a note which says Deprecated. Use ... instead. An example is article_text which is now page_title.
  • Abuse filters can now use how old a page is. The variable is page_age.

  Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee has resolved to perform a round of Checkuser and Oversight appointments. The usernames of all applicants will be shared with the Functionaries team, and they will be requested to assist in the vetting process. The deadline to submit an application is 23:59 UTC, 12 September, and the candidates that move forward will be published on-wiki for community comments on 18 September.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:22, 2 September 2018 (UTC)

Pushpin map at New York CityEdit

Could you please voice your opinion on the matter you discussed on New York City because the editor who practically ignored you is refusing to discuss or even acknowledge the fact he ignored you. IWI (chat) 19:44, 4 October 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – October 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2018).

  Administrator changes

  JustlettersandnumbersL235
  BgwhiteHorsePunchKidJ GrebKillerChihuahuaRami RWinhunter

  Interface administrator changes

  Cyberpower678Deryck ChanOshwahPharosRagesossRitchie333

  Oversight changes

  Guerillero NativeForeigner SnowolfXeno

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • Partial blocks should be available for testing in October on the Test Wikipedia and the Beta-Cluster. This new feature allows admins to block users from editing specific pages and in the near-future, namespaces and uploading files. You can expect more updates and an invitation to help with testing once it is available.
  • The Foundations' Anti-Harassment Tools team is currently looking for input on how to measure the effectiveness of blocks. This is in particular related to how they will measure the success of the aforementioned partial blocks.
  • Because of a data centre test, you will be able to read but not edit the Wikimedia projects for up to an hour on 10 October. This will start at 14:00 (UTC). You might lose edits if you try to save during this time.

  Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee has, by motion, amended the procedure on functionary inactivity.
  • The community consultation for 2018 CheckUser and Oversight appointments has concluded. Appointments will be made by October 11.
  • Following a request for comment, the size of the Arbitration Committee will be decreased to 13 arbitrators, starting in 2019. Additionally, the minimum support percentage required to be appointed to a two-year term on ArbCom has been increased to 60%. ArbCom candidates who receive between 50% and 60% support will be appointed to one-year terms instead.
  • Nominations for the 2018 Arbitration Committee Electoral Commission are being accepted until 12 October. These are the editors who help run the ArbCom election smoothly. If you are interested in volunteering for this role, please consider nominating yourself.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:12, 5 October 2018 (UTC)

RfC on which you !voted, has been amendedEdit

In response to objections, I struck the two year moratorium thing at Wikipedia_talk:Notability_(people)#RfC:_Amendment_for_BIO_to_address_systemic_bias_in_the_base_of_sources. I'm notifying everybody who !voted. Jytdog (talk) 14:31, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – November 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2018).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • Partial blocks is now available for testing on the Test Wikipedia. The new functionality allows you to block users from editing specific pages. Bugs may exist and can be reported on the local talk page or on Meta. A discussion regarding deployment to English Wikipedia will be started by community liaisons sometime in the near future.
  • A user script is now available to quickly review unblock requests.
  • The 2019 Community Wishlist Survey is now accepting new proposals until November 11, 2018. The results of this survey will determine what software the Wikimedia Foundation's Community Tech team will work on next year. Voting on the proposals will take place from November 16 to November 30, 2018. Specifically, there is a proposal category for admins and stewards that may be of interest.

  Arbitration

  • Eligible editors will be invited to nominate themselves as candidates in the 2018 Arbitration Committee Elections starting on November 4 until November 13. Voting will begin on November 19 and last until December 2.
  • The Arbitration Committee's email address has changed to arbcom-en wikimedia.org. Other email lists, such as functionaries-en and clerks-l, remain unchanged.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:18, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

MediationEdit

Regarding this edit: I imagine you don't really mean the term "meditation" (unless you were trying to slyly comment on the original post which incorrectly used that word)? That would be a whole different committee... isaacl (talk) 21:35, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Odd spell check, rather. Thanks. Alanscottwalker (talk)

ToEdit

"If you want talk about those or anything else, please post on my talk page." Enigmamsg 00:28, 10 November 2018 (UTC)

Thx. Alanscottwalker (talk) 00:35, 10 November 2018 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Fred BauderEdit

You recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Fred Bauder. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Fred Bauder/Evidence. Please add your evidence by November 27, 2018, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Fred Bauder/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, --Cameron11598 (Talk) 20:56, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

Jean Baptiste Point du SableEdit

Just letting you know it's been selected as TFA for December 6, 2018. Hope you're doing well.--Wehwalt (talk) 21:57, 18 November 2018 (UTC)

Thank you. Doing well, and hope you are to. Alanscottwalker (talk) 23:47, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
Wow, nice. Thanks for all your work on this article. "P.S." I can't remember where I heard this, but there's an apocryphal story that the local indigenous people used to say that "the first white man in Chicago was a black man". Mudwater (Talk) 00:29, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
Thanks. I have heard that story too. Alanscottwalker (talk) 02:40, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

Thank you for the "trader living on the frontiers of empires in North America. He is regarded as the founder of Chicago", and for mentioning your helpers! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 07:31, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

You're welcome, but more like "colleagues" than helpers perhaps:). 18:58, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
Sorry, I have always trouble spelling that word ;) - I miss Corinne. --Gerda Arendt (talk) 19:21, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
That was a sad loss, and so soon after she worked on this article. -- Alanscottwalker (talk) 22:21, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

ArbCom 2018 election voter messageEdit

 Hello, Alanscottwalker. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 3 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for November 26Edit

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Black Hawk Statue, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Native Americans (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:17, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

I guess an honest question deserves an honest answerEdit

The past few days, Dank said he was recusing from TFA error reports "pending a discussion with the other TFA coordinators about how to proceed" (all quotes in this reply are paraphrased, not direct, and I'm getting surprisingly upset the more I think about this, so I'm not going to look for diffs). I assumed that discussion was happening, since Wewalt started replying instead. Indeed, Wehwalt just said "one coordinator hasn't replied yet", so I think at least some discussion of some kind has happened. I couldn't find the discussion on-wiki, so I assumed it was happening off wiki.

Some combination of poor wording on my part, misunderstanding on my part, misunderstanding on Dank and Wehwalt and Jim's part, and general prickliness on everyone's part (including me) has apparently blown this all up. I honestly don't know where the crap about me accusing anyone of lying came from, nor how I've become a populist, but I have no stomach for an argument. If I could take it back I would, but apparently it's taken on a life of its own.

I hate it when discussions go all pear-shaped like this, it happens all the time on WP, and now apparently I'm partially responsible for it going all pear-shaped. I honestly wasn't trying to start a "dump on coordinators" discussion, and now it looks like that's going to happen, and someone is going to quit in frustration... --Floquenbeam (talk) 17:49, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Thanks. Just so you know, this is all I saw. Someone making a compliant. Someone recusing from the complaint. Someone rejecting the complaint. And then you asking about a meeting somewhere else that you want everyone to participate in. So, that was confusing. -- Alanscottwalker (talk) 17:55, 30 November 2018 (UTC)
Yes, I saw that was the problem for you after I left ERRORS, that's why I posted here. Sorry for confusing you. But I guess I assumed the coordinators would have known what I meant. --Floquenbeam (talk) 18:01, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – December 2018Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (November 2018).

  Administrator changes

  Al Ameer sonRandykittySpartaz
  BosonDaniel J. LeivickEfeEsanchez7587Fred BauderGarzoMartijn HoekstraOrangemike

  Interface administrator changes

 Deryck Chan

  Guideline and policy news

  • Following a request for comment, the Mediation Committee is now closed and will no longer be accepting case requests.
  • A request for comment is in progress to determine whether members of the Bot Approvals Group should satisfy activity requirements in order to remain in that role.
  • A request for comment is in progress regarding whether to change the administrator inactivity policy, such that administrators "who have made no logged administrative actions for at least 12 months may be desysopped". Currently, the policy states that administrators "who have made neither edits nor administrative actions for at least 12 months may be desysopped".
  • A proposal has been made to temporarily restrict editing of the Main Page to interface administrators in order to mitigate the impact of compromised accounts.

  Technical news

  Arbitration

  Miscellaneous

  • In late November, an attacker compromised multiple accounts, including at least four administrator accounts, and used them to vandalize Wikipedia. If you have ever used your current password on any other website, you should change it immediately. Sharing the same password across multiple websites makes your account vulnerable, especially if your password was used on a website that suffered a data breach. As these incidents have shown, these concerns are not pure fantasies.
  • Wikipedia policy requires administrators to have strong passwords. To further reinforce security, administrators should also consider enabling two-factor authentication. A committed identity can be used to verify that you are the true account owner in the event that your account is compromised and/or you are unable to log in.

  Obituaries


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:36, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

File:Jesse Binga.jpgEdit

Hi, I'm RonBot, a script that checks new non-free file uploads. I have found that the subject image that you recently uploaded was more than 5% in excess of the Non-free content guideline size of 100,000 pixels. I have tagged the image for a standard reduction, which (for jpg/gif/png/svg files) normally happens within a day. Please check the reduced image, and make sure that the image is not excessively corrupted. Other files will be added to Category:Wikipedia non-free file size reduction requests for manual processing. There is a full seven-day period before the original oversized image will be hidden; during that time you might want to consider editing the original image yourself (perhaps an initial crop to allow a smaller reduction or none at all). A formula for calculation the desired size can be found at WP:Image resolution, along with instructions on how to tag the image in the rare cases that it requires an oversized image (typically about 0.2% of non-free uploads are tagged as necessarily oversized). Please contact the bot owner if you have any questions, or you can ask them at Wikipedia talk:Non-free content. See User:RonBot for info on how to not get these messages. RonBot (talk) 18:07, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for December 14Edit

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Illinois Secretary of State, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Incorporation (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:07, 14 December 2018 (UTC)

File:Still Something Special.jpgEdit

Hi, I'm RonBot, a script that checks new non-free file uploads. I have found that the subject image that you recently uploaded was more than 5% in excess of the Non-free content guideline size of 100,000 pixels. I have tagged the image for a standard reduction, which (for jpg/gif/png/svg files) normally happens within a day. Please check the reduced image, and make sure that the image is not excessively corrupted. Other files will be added to Category:Wikipedia non-free file size reduction requests for manual processing. There is a full seven-day period before the original oversized image will be hidden; during that time you might want to consider editing the original image yourself (perhaps an initial crop to allow a smaller reduction or none at all). A formula for calculation the desired size can be found at WP:Image resolution, along with instructions on how to tag the image in the rare cases that it requires an oversized image (typically about 0.2% of non-free uploads are tagged as necessarily oversized). Please contact the bot owner if you have any questions, or you can ask them at Wikipedia talk:Non-free content. See User:RonBot for info on how to not get these messages. RonBot (talk) 18:48, 24 December 2018 (UTC)

New YorkEdit

I'd love an explanation of what you mean. IWI (chat) 18:08, 27 December 2018 (UTC)

Look, we got off on the wrong foot. I felt, at the time, that you were saying my opinion was invalid because of where I’m from, which was clearly not the case. I apologise.
On another note; there is a discussion at Talk:Los Angeles about the readdition of "Los Angeles, California", which is seeing strong opposition. IWI (chat) 04:07, 31 December 2018 (UTC)

Please explainEdit

on what grounds you think I am trying to stop anyone from knowing anything. Kevin McE (talk) 23:53, 30 December 2018 (UTC)

It seems that way to me, I think I explained why it seems that way to me. Alanscottwalker (talk) 23:55, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
I queried whether it was appropriate for the same word to be transliterated in two different ways: how do you construe from that that i "object to people knowing Peterhof and Petergof" ?
If you can find another published sentence that uses "country habitation" as an uncountable noun, please provide it, otherwise your explanation is absent. Kevin McE (talk) 01:03, 31 December 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – January 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (December 2018).

  Guideline and policy news

  1. G14 (new): Disambiguation pages that disambiguate only zero or one existing pages are now covered under the new G14 criterion (discussion). This is {{db-disambig}}; the text is unchanged and candidates may be found in Category:Candidates for speedy deletion as unnecessary disambiguation pages.
  2. R4 (new): Redirects in the file namespace (and no file links) that have the same name as a file or redirect at Commons are now covered under the new R4 criterion (discussion). This is {{db-redircom}}; the text is unchanged.
  3. G13 (expanded): Userspace drafts containing only the default Article Wizard text are now covered under G13 along with other drafts (discussion). Such blank drafts are now eligible after six months rather than one year, and taggers continue to use {{db-blankdraft}}.

  Technical news

  • Starting on December 13, the Wikimedia Foundation security team implemented new password policy and requirements. Privileged accounts (administrators, bureaucrats, checkusers, oversighters, interface administrators, bots, edit filter managers/helpers, template editors, et al.) must have a password at least 10 characters in length. All accounts must have a password:
  1. At least 8 characters in length
  2. Not in the 100,000 most popular passwords (defined by the Password Blacklist library)
  3. Different from their username
User accounts not meeting these requirements will be prompted to update their password accordingly. More information is available on MediaWiki.org.
  • Blocked administrators may now block the administrator that blocked them. This was done to mitigate the possibility that a compromised administrator account would block all other active administrators, complementing the removal of the ability to unblock oneself outside of self-imposed blocks. A request for comment is currently in progress to determine whether the blocking policy should be updated regarding this change.
  • {{Copyvio-revdel}} now has a link to open the history with the RevDel checkboxes already filled in.

  Arbitration

  Miscellaneous

  • Accounts continue to be compromised on a regular basis. Evidence shows this is entirely due to the accounts having the same password that was used on another website that suffered a data breach. If you have ever used your current password on any other website, you should change it immediately.
  • Around 22% of admins have enabled two-factor authentication, up from 20% in June 2018. If you haven't already enabled it, please consider doing so. Regardless of whether you use 2FA, please practice appropriate account security by ensuring your password is secure and unique to Wikimedia.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:38, 1 January 2019 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for January 23Edit

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Six (musical), you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Broadway (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:07, 23 January 2019 (UTC)

DYK for Something Good – Negro KissEdit

 On 1 February 2019, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Something Good – Negro Kiss, which you recently created, substantially expanded, or brought to good article status. The fact was ... that the recently rediscovered and restored 1898 short film Something Good – Negro Kiss counters racist caricatures? You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, Something Good – Negro Kiss), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.

Amakuru (talk · contribs) 00:02, 1 February 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – February 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2019).

  Administrator changes

  EnterpriseyJJMC89
  BorgQueen
  Harro5Jenks24GraftR. Baley

  Interface administrator changes

 Enterprisey

  Guideline and policy news

  • A request for comment is currently open to reevaluate the activity requirements for administrators.
  • Administrators who are blocked have the technical ability to block the administrator who blocked their own account. A recent request for comment has amended the blocking policy to clarify that this ability should only be used in exceptional circumstances, such as account compromises, where there is a clear and immediate need.
  • A request for comment closed with a consensus in favor of deprecating The Sun as a permissible reference, and creating an edit filter to warn users who attempt to cite it.

  Technical news

  • A discussion regarding an overhaul of the format and appearance of Wikipedia:Requests for page protection is in progress (permalink). The proposed changes will make it easier to create requests for those who are not using Twinkle. The workflow for administrators at this venue will largely be unchanged. Additionally, there are plans to archive requests similar to how it is done at WP:PERM, where historical records are kept so that prior requests can more easily be searched for.

  Miscellaneous

  • Voting in the 2019 Steward elections will begin on 08 February 2019, 14:00 (UTC) and end on 28 February 2019, 13:59 (UTC). The confirmation process of current stewards is being held in parallel. You can automatically check your eligibility to vote.
  • A new IRC bot is available that allows you to subscribe to notifications when specific filters are tripped. This requires that your IRC handle be identified.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:15, 4 February 2019 (UTC)

DYK nomination of Negro in ArtEdit

  Hello! Your submission of Negro in Art at the Did You Know nominations page has been reviewed, and some issues with it may need to be clarified. Please review the comment(s) underneath your nomination's entry and respond there as soon as possible. Thank you for contributing to Did You Know! Yoninah (talk) 20:25, 23 February 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – March 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2019).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • A new tool is available to help determine if a given IP is an open proxy/VPN/webhost/compromised host.

  Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee announced two new OTRS queues. Both are meant solely for cases involving private information; other cases will continue to be handled at the appropriate venues (e.g., WP:COIN or WP:SPI).
    • paid-en-wp wikipedia.org has been set up to receive private evidence related to abusive paid editing.
    • checkuser-en-wp wikipedia.org has been set up to receive private requests for CheckUser. For instance, requests for IP block exemption for anonymous proxy editing should now be sent to this address instead of the functionaries-en list.

  Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:12, 4 March 2019 (UTC)

Mary Kay LetourneauEdit

Hi. I don't know you. But I know you're sound-minded. Would you be willing to examine what I've prepared here?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mary_Kay_Letourneau#Consensus_on_substantiated_changes — Preceding unsigned comment added by Mcfnord (talkcontribs) 06:05, 5 March 2019 (UTC)

DYK for The Negro in ArtEdit

 On 17 March 2019, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article The Negro in Art, which you recently created, substantially expanded, or brought to good article status. The fact was ... that leading black and white artists responded to the 1926 symposium The Negro in Art: How Shall He Be Portrayed? with their views on the extent to which black artists could avoid racial stereotypes? You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, The Negro in Art), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.

 — Amakuru (talk) 01:52, 17 March 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – April 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (March 2019).

  Technical news

  Arbitration

  Miscellaneous

  • Two more administrator accounts were compromised. Evidence has shown that these attacks, like previous incidents, were due to reusing a password that was used on another website that suffered a data breach. If you have ever used your current password on any other website, you should change it immediately. All admins are strongly encouraged to enable two-factor authentication, please consider doing so. Please always practice appropriate account security by ensuring your password is secure and unique to Wikimedia.
  • As a reminder, according to WP:NOQUORUM, administrators looking to close or relist an AfD should evaluate a nomination that has received few or no comments as if it were a proposed deletion (PROD) prior to determining whether it should be relisted.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:56, 7 April 2019 (UTC)

Rama Arbitration CaseEdit

You were recently listed as a party to a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Rama. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Rama/Evidence. Please add your evidence by May 10, 2019, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Rama/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, -- Amanda (aka DQ) 19:41, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:41, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

Previous listing as a partyEdit

My apologies for the above section stating that you are a party. You are not, I made a mistake with the template. -- Amanda (aka DQ) 19:51, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

Thanks. Alanscottwalker (talk) 20:52, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

hi, you're invited to an RfC discussion regarding Bruno Bettelheim articleEdit

As a relatively recent contributor to the article, you're invited to a Request for Comment (RfC) discussion on the article's lead sentence. FriendlyRiverOtter (talk) 17:51, 3 May 2019 (UTC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Bruno_Bettelheim#rfc_7DDF8CC

Administrators' newsletter – May 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2019).

  Guideline and policy news

  Technical news

  • XTools Admin Stats, a tool to list admins by administrative actions, has been revamped to support more types of log entries such as AbuseFilter changes. Two additional tools have been integrated into it as well: Steward Stats and Patroller Stats.

  Arbitration

  • In response to the continuing compromise of administrator accounts, the Arbitration Committee passed a motion amending the procedures for return of permissions (diff). In such cases, the committee will review all available information to determine whether the administrator followed "appropriate personal security practices" before restoring permissions; administrators found failing to have adequately done so will not be resysopped automatically. All current administrators have been notified of this change.
  • Following a formal ratification process, the arbitration policy has been amended (diff). Specifically, the two-thirds majority required to remove or suspend an arbitrator now excludes (1) the arbitrator facing suspension or removal, and (2) any inactive arbitrator who does not respond within 30 days to attempts to solicit their feedback on the resolution through all known methods of communication.

  Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:37, 5 May 2019 (UTC)

Canadian Politics Arbitration CaseEdit

If you do not want to receive further notifications for this case, please remove yourself from this list.
You recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Canadian politics. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Canadian politics/Evidence. Please add your evidence by June 7, 2019, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Canadian politics/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:00, 24 May 2019 (UTC)

2002 survey in lede of School of the Art Institute of ChicagoEdit

Thanks for fixing the reference template for the 2002 "Columbia University" survey in School of the Art Institute of Chicago! But I don't understand exactly why we are including a 17-year old survey in the lede of that article. I'll open a discussion in the article's Talk page. ElKevbo (talk) 17:33, 5 June 2019 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – June 2019Edit

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2019).

  Administrator changes

  AndonicConsumed CrustaceanEnigmamanEuryalusEWS23HereToHelpNv8200paPeripitusStringTheory11Vejvančický

  CheckUser changes

  Ivanvector

  Guideline and policy news

  • An RfC seeks to clarify whether WP:OUTING should include information on just the English Wikipedia or any Wikimedia project.
  • An RfC on WT:RfA concluded that Requests for adminship and bureaucratship are discussions seeking to build consensus.
  • An RfC proposal to make the templates for discussion (TfD) process more like the requested moves (RM) process, i.e. "as a clearinghouse of template discussions", was closed as successful.

  Technical news

  • The CSD feature of Twinkle now allows admins to notify page creators of deletion if the page had not been tagged. The default behavior matches that of tagging notifications, and replaces the ability to open the user talk page upon deletion. You can customize which criteria receive notifications in your Twinkle preferences: look for Notify page creator when deleting under these criteria.
  • Twinkle's d-batch (batch delete) feature now supports deleting subpages (and related redirects and talk pages) of each page. The pages will be listed first but use with caution! The und-batch (batch undelete) option can now also restore talk pages.

  Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 09:48, 8 June 2019 (UTC)

Notice of arbitrationEdit

You recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Antisemitism in Poland. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Antisemitism in Poland/Evidence. Please add your evidence by June 23, 2019, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Antisemitism in Poland/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, – bradv🍁 15:07, 9 June 2019 (UTC)

WJBScribeEdit

Replied on page. :-)   «l|Promethean|l»  (talk) 19:32, 22 June 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Alanscottwalker".