I first discovered this fantastic resource in May 2005. Amazing how one can navigate unexpectedly from Clinical depression to Hairy ball theorem in 2 hours, perhaps one causes the other ... :-) This is the quick way to do it, but it's not the route I used!!
I have now discovered the Symbolist painter Odilon Redon and his fantastic early charcoal works, including the incredibly appropriate Cactus Man. Also, check out the utterly brilliant Spirit of the Forest - this leaves Munch for dead. Not to mention Julio González, cubist sculptor, a contemporary of Picasso, and his enigmatic Monsieur Cactus.
Some Words of Wisdom
|“||... An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. ...||”|
|“||... There are two rules for drinking whisky.
First, never take whisky without water, and second, never take water without whisky. ...
|“||... This is our land, this is our Scotland, these are our people, these are our men, our works, our women and children: can you beat it? ...||”|
Contributions and things to doEdit
|Articles • Featured on DYK • Images|
|Articles for re-write / expansion / cleanup|
|Floors Castle • John MacLean • Mary Barbour • Mellerstain House • Peter Howson • Ray Winstone • Drummond Castle • Wilhelmina Barns-Graham • Ben Nicholson • Trevor Bell • Sandra Blow • David Bomberg • Beryl Cook • Jessica Dismorr • Alfred East • Stanhope Forbes • Terry Frost • Patrick Heron • Howard Hodgkin • Bill Brandt • Kevin Carter • Alfred Eisenstaedt • Peter Lanyon • Bob Law • Tom Phillips • Annie Leibovitz • Niko Pirosmanashvili • Jane Bown • Robert Capa • Larry Burrows • 1943 Naples post office bombing • Foulis Castle • Balvaird Castle • Drummond Castle • Braemar • Duns Castle • Stirling Castle • Hammerbeam roof • Rannoch Moor • Dunbar Castle • Castle Campbell|
The Wikipedia SignpostEdit
Did you know...
- ... that pole vaulter Holly Bradshaw (pictured) won her eighth national title at the 2020 British Athletics Championships?
- ... that Polish-French author Anna Langfus, a Holocaust survivor, wrote novels that had her own life experiences interwoven into the fiction?
- ... that the 1960 television play Sacco-Vanzetti Story was called "one of the most controversial ever seen on television"?
- ... that Robert Burg, a leading baritone at the Semperoper in Dresden between the First and Second World Wars, performed the title roles of Busoni's Doktor Faust and Hindemith's Cardillac there?
- ... that as one of its campus traditions, Pomona College reveres the number 47, having the bell in its clock tower chime on the 47th minute of the hour?
- ... that the Maratha Empire's direct rule came to an end in the Carnatic region when Murari Rao surrendered to Nizam I after the 1743 siege of Trichinopoly?
- ... that Bill Nation rejected an attempt by the American Nazi Party to establish a headquarters in Cheyenne, Wyoming?
- ... that after an erotic encounter with a young wife in London's Seething Lane, diarist Samuel Pepys bought the lady eight pairs of gloves?
In the news
- Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (pictured) becomes Emir of Kuwait after the death of his half-brother, Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, at the age of 91.
- In ice hockey, the Tampa Bay Lightning defeat the Dallas Stars to win the Stanley Cup.
- Azerbaijani and Armenian armed forces clash in Nagorno-Karabakh, prompting the introduction of martial law in both countries and mobilization in Armenia.
- Italy votes to amend its constitution to reduce the size of its Parliament by a third.
Tasks we can all help withEdit
You can help improve the articles listed below! This list updates frequently, so check back here for more tasks to try. (See Wikipedia:Task Center for brief guides.)
Images of Scotland to make you smileEdit
More words of wisdomEdit
|“||... It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it. ...||”|
|“||... Every line of strength in American history is a line coloured with Scottish blood. ...||”|
|“||... Look to your consciences and remember that the theatre of the world is wider than the realm of England. ...||”|
|“||... We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. ...||”|
|“||... We all know that Prime Ministers are wedded to the truth, but like other wedded couples, they sometimes live apart. ...||”|
|“||... Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. ...||”|
|“||... I am not young enough to know everything. ...||”|
|“||... Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive. ...
|“||... God help England if she had no Scots to think for her. ...||”|
|“||... He who has provoked the lash of wit, cannot complain that he smarts from it. ...||”|
|“||... All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. ...||”|
- The secrets behind Thierry Henry's success are finally revealed
- The medical cause which leads people to give The finger
- The importance of the humble doughnut as an economic indicator
- How to become an FA Premier League football player, courtesy of Wikipedia
- Is this feline origin of the Question mark really true?
- Strange goings on at a New Zealand high school
Cactus.man's Committed Identity
Second Committed ID
Latest Committed ID
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32) mQGiBEaXahsRBACPn5Ueb7eN5GsCOsNBiu/JHKAlThXVKEx7v97Cei5TQ2ERxBAi DMfJY+7NJGlvo5ZR3I6+92+KYVDIzaD2fmoiB0UyRIqkgKPfTtTcZjRQCbwE5PTC 3KmME1pAgOrSHG6SEQ9GqXFh0t7hmUR7Z9Lt9itDvhr7GtsPEZsa2MEPJwCgqxvj uf83mi43dJMcllz7y52fzbUD/jEGkASjDUedqAR8Vlu43w9e1rfytAJvnoHdL2qi Q4c7XgLJ//c98+3xQdf01zP3upRLkxouy+7Olhdxiyuf9a5gNgXvXofB3yXpU0tp spchSRg9cCFmd7EGU/+0NSwBM32BlAQ4qVGcGsh6scNf4xfzY3J0tuMD6n15g0v8 HKa/A/9M2J7ZSPd+zYcS+WrmNor5MTIHEl7FtnNqMsHb592YQ5ztPvMI+4jxcS0W rUxy6NHG+Cl+r0KHawfCni9Wg143MtPnNcReG/3jNl4ukRCt0fgE8lUK5nV0GcLn GrCYBopedWOjdDBXl7hsOVaawXENH+hnhxqbw/htxGIV+vad9bQpQ2FjdHVzLm1h biA8Y2FjdHVzLm1hbi53cEBnb29nbGVtYWlsLmNvbT6IYAQTEQIAIAUCRpdqGwIb AwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEHqt1/o7PrHE7gYAnRD+8joME2RV /Ako83SzDhuPU1K9AJ9EvAIGjOQc7KX+t+Lw68eKe8qqFrkCDQRGl2obEAgAt66X zBJR/ZEnz5jam+8VhHgoHqtDs7PWwZyoRB6l72EPN9Lcy0xQl78cFF6s/xiOL/gG OR0CLGBh5t5ecbbCeYJXLt8m5FPv6oCQb9TuWuYvbnr2yKBlzQTfRG3OCRVhyall DiQ9WeAjTesSV6NkVlQwABCbLQYy7xXkASZ7rZHxea7hJrt6CM1m1oIwpVmR2InQ FS5CfFEHTltupfd2/XawXIEOeCCj0SbOzrdL7EhpAyr6mIoQr5LpadUECAD6jrTF EYZUv0oxciSSjnLHzcxKFryN4wEmFb9szL31g4MllzAbTNaF0xzk2wtiFwdB0A32 hV2BpKTsKUO+1TumfwADBQf/cw23L4blIfM2H4d3Vaz0lkJ+zBdqrHfLF4TCVHeq Neu3/tGtbtuhJe2msbMj1/uvS6KY/alUZvtmvCzoDvIyL7+zAXC37JRoVDJQJWqc klp8ZiXW+Dq2sgJSpUDM8GGbL1NEP54rpBT2hzoadU/R+6CFkO6iBG3dTKCqsTZk 0PrzbKI0an6gKed1k7trR3CMkEQRDvHQwYMi1lMyx/UQVy2+fT99sKaSdCCniLkf ld6SJ3vHzUCbYkycUx7b9D2Hr+NuJzMlrs/BgAXyBioxKUHwescgAAeFaDHnwAqs P2cOyAv3qktQfV8HtjYuav2h93ul6LGSAgjcQwsQT1E2uYhJBBgRAgAJBQJGl2ob AhsMAAoJEHqt1/o7PrHEP0cAn18gmj05cLxtt94C5LrJZu5N1ArmAKCF8lVl3Uv0 fv1VF+pZxgqnSX5OKg== =ABpU -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- ---- ----|float=center}}
|I do not dual-license my work|
|I am against voluntary dual-licensing of Wikipedia contributions.|