UploadVR is a virtual reality media company based in San Francisco, California. The company is best known for its virtual reality-driven events, digital publication uploadvr.com, and the Upload Collective, a VR focused co-working space in San Francisco. The organization focuses on helping to grow the global virtual reality and augmented reality industry. In 2015 UploadVR received a $1.25m investment from Shanda Group.
|Industry||Virtual reality and augmented reality|
UploadVR was founded in 2014 by Taylor Freeman and Nick Ochoa out of assets developed for a client of Guru Media. After leaving Guru Media they re-branded those client assets "JustVR" and later renamed it to "UploadVR". The organization formed out of a meetup group in San Francisco. The first event had 60 people and six demos ranging from DK1s to early NASA hardware. Over the following six months UploadVR produced over 20 events ranging from small events to AWE, a 3,000 person, 3-day conference they co-produced with augmentedreality.org in June 2015. The company currently organizes events, covers the industry and runs the Upload Collective.
In May 2017, a former employee of the company submitted a lawsuit against the company and alleged the company of gender discrimination and sexual harassment at the workplace. Although the company said that the allegations were "entirely without merit".
In March 2018, Techcrunch covered funding troubles at Upload leading to a shut down of all physical operations in favor of becoming an online blog brand.
Despite few of their company’s previous investors wanting to have anything to do with them, the co-founders have managed to keep things afloat thanks to personal investments from a close friend of theirs, Oculus founder Palmer Luckey.
“Nobody else will touch them but the Nazi sympathizer,” a former Upload executive told TechCrunch.
An unknown employee of the company replied in a blog that Techcrunch was spreading "False News" while confirming Techcrunch's assertions. The reply went on to claim Upload was pivoting to an online media only business with an audience reach of more than "200 million people online" a figure that is refuted third party analytic sites.
- "UploadVR Announces The Creation of Upload Collective". VR Focus.
- "UploadVR Announces The Upload Collective". VR Startups.
- "UploadVR Showcase World's Largest Event in Augmented Reality". Market Wired.
- "Superpowers People Awe UploadVR Partner". Finance Yahoo.
- "UploadVR Focused Incubator and Co-Working Space in San Francisco Launch in 2016". Virtual Reality Reporter.
- "JustVR". Iterate.
- "UploadVR Announces Incubator in San Francisco". Video Technology News.
- "Will Mason On Accelerating the Growth of the VR Industry with UploadVR Coverage Consumer Facing Events". Voices Of VR.
- "UploadVR Companies". Virtual Reality Reporter.
- Parisi, Tony (2015). Learning Virtual Reality: Developing Immersive Experiences and Applications for Desktop, Web, and Mobile. O'Reilly Media. p. 140. ISBN 978-1491922835.
- "The Future of VR a Night in VR with Boot VC UploaVR". GetshashVR.
- "UploadVR Raises For Virtual Reality News". Silicontap.
- "UploadVR Secures $1.25m Seed Funding Round". Xconomy.
- Farivar, Cyrus. "UploadVR set up "kink room" at the office, says ex-employee in lawsuit". Ars Technicha.
- Matney, Lucas. "UploadVR sued over 'rampant' sexual behavior in the workplace and wrongful termination | TechCrunch". Retrieved 2017-08-25.