Untold Festival is the largest electronic music festival held in Romania, taking place in Cluj-Napoca at the Cluj Arena. It is held annually and has been designated Best Major Festival in the European Festival Awards 2015. Guests come from a vast range of European countries, as well as Asia and North America.
|Genre||EDM (main), trance, techno, house, electro house, progressive house, pop, indie pop, hip hop, drum and bass, dubstep, reggae, jazz, R&B, soul|
|Dates||9-12 September 2021|
|Organised by||SHARE Cluj-Napoca Federation|
Untold's official website refers to editions as chapters.
Untold: Chapter 1Edit
The first edition of the festival took place in 2015 mainly on Cluj Arena, when Cluj-Napoca was appointed the European Youth Capital. The main artists that performed were: Armin van Buuren, Avicii, David Guetta, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and ATB. Other performing artists were: Duke Dumont, Fedde Le Grand, Lost Frequencies, Sasha, Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano, Tinie Tempah, Tom Odell, John Newman, Fatman Scoop, Tujamo, John Digweed, Patrice, Boney M, Culture Beat and East 17, among others. During the four days of the festival, more than 240,000 people attended the concerts held on several stages in the centre of Cluj-Napoca. It pulled in €20 million in revenue.
Untold: Chapter 2Edit
The second edition of Untold took place in 2016, from 4 to 7 August mainly on Cluj Arena. It welcomed the top 5 DJ's of the world polled by DJ Mag that year: Tiësto, Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and Armin van Buuren, along with Afrojack. Other performing live artists were: Dannic, Fedde Le Grand, Naughty Boy, Lost Frequencies, Faithless, Parov Stellar, Scooter, Ella Eyre, James Arthur, Kwabs, Labrinth, John Digweed, Sasha, Nneka and Tujamo. It took place during four days in the centre of Cluj-Napoca and involved 10 stages. Over 30,000 foreigners attended the 2016 edition. The festival itself attracted a crowd of 300,000 over four days.
Untold: Chapter 3Edit
The third edition of the festival took place from 3 to 6 August 2017 on Cluj Arena. There were seven DJ headliners who were announced in January 2017: Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, Axwell Λ Ingrosso, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Marshmello and Steve Aoki. In March the live acts were announced, these being: Ellie Goulding, Example, Hurts, Jasmine Thompson, MØ, John Newman and Tinie Tempah. The festival took place during four days in the centre of Cluj-Napoca and involved 10 stages. Other performing artists were: Alan Walker, Don Diablo, Dillon Francis, Charli XCX, Redfoo, Era Istrefi, The Avener, Dannic, Lost Frequencies, Sander van Doorn, Dubfire, Kadebostany, Jamie Jones, Loco Dice, Solomun, Sven Väth, Andy C, Borgore, Pendulum, Chase & Status and GTA, among others. It sold over 330,000 tickets for the four days of Untold and reported record profit (more than in 2015). Untold organisers invested more than €10 million in the festival.
Untold: Chapter 4Edit
The fourth edition of the Untold festival was held from 2 to 5 August 2018. The first artists announced for the 2018 edition are: Black Eyed Peas, KSHMR, The Prodigy, Bonobo, Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, Alesso, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Diplo, Kygo, The Chainsmokers, Jason Derulo, Tiësto, Fedde Le Grand and Steve Aoki.
Untold: Chapter 5Edit
The fifth edition of the Untold festival was held from 1 to 4 August 2019. The first two rounds of ticket sales sold out within respectively 3 and 10 minutes, each having 15,000 festival tickets available. Amongst the first artists announced for the 2019 edition were: Robbie Williams, Martin Garrix, David Guetta, Bastille, James Arthur, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Timmy Trumpet, Boris Brejcha, Silenzio and Tale Of Us. Armin van Buuren released the official anthem of Untold Chapter 5, "Something Real", on 12 July 2019.
The festival, in conjunction with YouTube Music, officially released 6 playlists exclusive to the service, which are the UNTOLD Main Stage, UNTOLD Alchemy, UNTOLD Fortune, UNTOLD Forest, Daydreaming Experience and UNTOLD Galaxy
This edition gathered a crowd of 370,000 over four days, making it the most successful chapter in history.
Untold: Chapter 6Edit
The sixth edition of Untold is planned to take place in 2021, 9-12 september, event was postponed due to COVID-19 outbreak. Announcement on the 2021 festival will be posted December 15, 2020, Refunds and tickets to the next 3 festivals are available to 2020 ticket holders.https://untold.com/faqpostponement
|2015||European Festival Awards||Best Major Festival||Untold Festival||Won|||
|International Advertising Association Romania||Brand of the Year||Untold Festival||Won|||
In 2016 Untold became the international ambassador of Romania and Transylvania, the land of Dracula, the festival bracelet allowing visitors to visit for free or at a discounted rate a series of major Romanian sights such as Bran Castle, Corvin Castle, the Merry Cemetery, the Mocănița Steam Train, the Turda Salt Mines, and many other touristic attractions. The initiative aimed at supporting Romanian tourism, by inviting guests to stay longer and explore the no. 1 must-see destination of 2016, according to Lonely Planet
- "Untold 2019 bate record după record. Câţi oameni au participat în acest an la cel mai important festival din România".
- romania-insider.com. "Largest music festival in Romania brings 300,000 spectators to the heart of Transylvania". Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- ziardecluj.ro. "Untold Festival va avea o a doua editie, in 2016". Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Raluca Tanasă (14 January 2016). "Untold a fost desemnat cel mai bun festival european". InfoMusic (in Romanian).
- agerpres.ro. "Cluj: 240.000 de spectatori în cele patru zile ale UNTOLD Festival". Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- viata-libera.ro. "Untold a adus sume-record de bani orașului Cluj". Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- chapter2.untold.com. "5 kings will rule The Land of Untold". Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- business-review.eu (9 August 2016). "Untold Festival popular with foreigners: 30,000 attend the 2016 edition". Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "UNTOLD: peste 330.000 de oameni, cei mai mulţi la show-ul Armin van Buuren / DJ-ul nr.1 al lumii, M. Garrix: Festivalul, în Top 3 / Aoki: Toţi îmi spun că există în România cel mai bun festival. Este incredibil!". Mediafax (in Romanian). August 7, 2017.
- "Povestea Untold 2017 continuă cu 10 milioane de euro. La Cluj vor veni cei mai buni DJ şi cele mai bune voci ale momentului". Adevărul (in Romanian). June 22, 2017.
- "UNTOLD Festival 2018 la Cluj Arena". InfoMusic (in Romanian).
- "Untold 2018. Primii artiști care și-au anunțat prezența. The Chainsmokers, pentru prima dată în România". Digi24 (in Romanian). 27 March 2018.
- "Another 15,000 passes for Romania's Untold festival sold in record time". Romania-Insider. 21 November 2018.
- "Peste 370.000 de oameni au participat la festivalul Untold din Cluj-Napoca | Ziarul Financiar". ZF.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "Romania's Untold voted the best major music festival in Europe". Romania-Insider. 14 January 2016.
- "UNTOLD, Brandul Anului 2015 în România". Știrile Pro TV (in Romanian). 18 November 2015.
18. Postponement page "https://untold.com/faqpostponement
- Media related to Untold Festival at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Review of Untold Festival 2015