University of Science and Technology Chittagong
University of Science & Technology Chittagong (USTC) (Bengali: বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, চট্টগ্রাম) is a first private university in Bangladesh. The university was established with the sponsorship of a private charity on May 13, 1989. Previously it was started as Institute of Applied Health Sciences (IAHS), later it was upgraded to USTC as a full phased university after the promulgation of the Private University Act, 1992. In January 2018 IAHS was renamed as Dr Nurul Islam Memorial Institute of Applied Health Science (DNIMIAHS) and its affiliation was challenged from USTC to Chittagong Medical University. 
বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, চট্টগ্রাম
Seal of the university
Motto in English
|University of Chittagong|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Mohammad Jahangir Alam|
|355 (includes 70 part-time) (2014)|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission of Bangladesh|
When USTC began its journey in 1989, it had only two professors and nine lecturers. Now the number of full-time teachers is 285. USTC has 4,200 students. Among these, over 30% are foreign students, from India, Nepal, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Bhutan among others.
Organization and administrationEdit
USTC owns seven-storied library building. The library has three sections comprised by modern technology and has accommodation for 150 readers at a time. USTC provides well-stocked resources for its students in the library. They are as follows:
- Books 6791 +
- Journals 5021 +
- Books supplied by the British council Library on long-term loan, Chittagong 50 copies (renewable).
- Audio and Video Cassettes 100 +
- Reference resources 190 +
The university has a hostel:Gulmeher Hall for female students. It can accommodate both foreign and non-local female students. There is one hostel available for male students - Syedur Rahman International Hall for foreign students which is located within the campus grounds.
One of the unique feature of USTC is about its auditorium.There is a gallery available for 1000 audience members. The auditorium is ideally suited for conference and seminar.
Extra curricular activitiesEdit
The university has an arrangement of extra curricular activities for its students. Such as sports and games, debates, seminars and cultural activities. All extra curricular activities are held by Student Welfare Council of USTC.
- "Statistical Year Book Bangladesh 2015" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. p. 423. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "University Grants Commission of Bangladesh". ugc.gov.bd.
- Bangladeshdir. "University of Science and Technology Chittagong (USTC)". Bangladesh Directory.
- Hasan Jahid Tusher (2005-04-27). "An institute with a vision". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- Tusher, Hasan Jahid (27 April 2005). "An institute with a vision: USTC produces good professionals". The Daily Star. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Alam, Ohidul; Hossain, Mosharraf Mosharraf (10–12 February 2013). A Comparative Study on the Differences between Public and Private Healthcare Entities in Healthcare Waste Management in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Proceedings of the WasteSafe 2013 – 3rd International Conference on Solid Waste Management in the Developing Countries. Khulna, Bangladesh. pp. 1–9. ISBN 978-984-33-7045-7. SSRN 2746570.
- About USTC. "Relevant Informations". Retrieved 2006-12-25.