University of Rijeka
Sveučilište u Rijeci
|Latin: Universitas studiorum Fluminensis|
The University of Rijeka is composed of nine faculties, one art academy, four departments, university libraries and the Students Centre.
While the modern university was founded on May 17, 1973, the first school of higher education was established in 1627 by the Jesuits and enjoyed equal status with the academies in the largest cities of the Austrian Empire. The Faculty of Philosophy, established in 1726, operated for two years. The Theological Faculty was founded in 1728. From 1773 to 1780, Rijeka was the seat of the Royal Academy.[dubious ]
The departments of biotechnology, informatics, mathematics and physics were founded in 2008. The last three were part of Faculty of Arts and Sciences since 1986.
These are the nine faculties, one academy and four departments into which the University is divided:
Faculties and academiesEdit
- Academy of Applied Arts
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (Faculty of Philosophy)
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Maritime Studies
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Teacher Education
- Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management (based in Opatija)
Department of InformaticsEdit
- Informatics in combination with another subject offered at Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Students finish with the title Bachelor of Science in Informatics. Both programmes introduce the foundations of programming, algorithms, data structures, digital electronics, computer architecture, computer networks, operating systems, databases, information systems, formal languages and automata theory, software engineering, logic programming, web engineering, multimedia and information theory.
- Information and communication systems,
- Business informatics,
- Informatics education,
- Informatics education in combination with another subject education offered at Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Department of MathematicsEdit
Since the implementation of the Bologna process in the academic year 2005/06, Department of Mathematics offers and undergraduate program (three years) in Mathematics, which finishes with the title Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. Courses include standard topics in mathematical analysis, linear algebra, numerical mathematics, combinatorics graph theory, affine spaces and particularly Euclidean spaces, metric spaces, topology, set theory, geometry, number theory, mathematical logic, probability and statistics, mathematical modelling, programming, algorithms, information systems and computer architecture.
- Mathematics education,
- Mathematics and Informatics education, together with Department of Informatics.
Center for Iconographic StudiesEdit
The Center for Iconographic Studies (CIS) is a research center in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. CIS was founded with the idea of promoting iconography and iconology, as academic disciplines, and to establish a platform for academics from different disciplines to research the interpretation of visual arts. The Center organizes the annual conference of iconographic studies, as well as lectures, workshops and symposia, international networking and research projects, and it is involved in doctoral programs. CIS also publishes IKON - the journal of the iconographic studies.
The Department of Art History at the University of Rijeka in collaboration with the Department of Theology at the University of Zagreb organized the first conference of iconographic studies in 2007, and thus conceived the idea of establishing the center that is intended to become the platform for academics from different disciplines in researching the interpretation of visual arts. In 2008 the proceedings of the 2007 conference were published, and both conference and the journal continue to be organized annually. In 2011 CIS organized Art History Day in Rijeka, which has become an annual event for the region, especially oriented towards students and younger people. PURITEKA, an e-journal for students' articles has also been published. Since 2010, CIS has been a partner to a European project in culture: "Francia media – Cradles of European Culture".
Heads of the university hold the title of Rector (Rektor) and are elected to four-year terms. There have been 13 rectors since the university's establishment in 1973.
Source: List of rectors at the University of Rijeka website.
Students at University of Rijeka work on various fields, and majority of projects are founded by Student council of Uniri.
Biggest examples are Onetius, Student Day Festival, Riteh Racing Team, NeuRi and Debate League of Rijeka.
- "Number of students on Croatian universities (Croatian)".
- Katarina Briški, Početak ambicioznog projekta, Kvartal, vol. IV, n. 2, 2007 (in Croatian)
- Ivana Podnar, Slike u kršćanskoj ikonografiji, Vijenac, god. XVI, br. 383, Zagreb, 2008. (in Croatian)
- Conférence - Fifth International Conference of Iconographic Studies - Sovereign and Iconography of Political Power , published April 17, 2011
- University of Rijeka Website ‹See Tfd›(in Croatian) ‹See Tfd›(in English)
- ‹See Tfd›(in Croatian) Odjel za matematiku Sveučilišta u Rijeci
- ‹See Tfd›(in Croatian) Odjel za informatiku Sveučilišta u Rijeci
- ‹See Tfd›(in English) Department of Informatics, University of Rijeka
- ‹See Tfd›(in Croatian) OpenClass homepage at HULK-Ri