University of Pennsylvania Health System
The University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) is a major multi-hospital health system headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. UPHS and the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania together comprise Penn Medicine, a clinical and research entity of the University of Pennsylvania. UPHS hospitals include the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, Pennsylvania Hospital, Chester County Hospital, Lancaster General Hospital, and Princeton Medical Center.
|Private hospital network|
Number of locations
|6 hospitals, 10 multispecialty centers, doctors' offices, clinics & sites|
South Central Pennsylvania
|Kevin B. Mahoney (CEO)|
J. Larry Jameson (EVP)
|Owner||Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania|
The UPHS is home to the first hospital in the United States, the Pennsylvania Hospital.
The Chester County Hospital and Health System joined UPHS in 2013. Two years later, Lancaster General Health (LG Health) joined the UPHS family. Princeton Health officially merged into UPHS in January 2018.
|Facility ||Location||Type of facility||Year opened||Year joined UPHS||Notes|
|Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1874||1993||First university-owned teaching hospital in the United States|
|Pennsylvania Hospital||Center City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1751||1993||First hospital of the United States|
|Penn Presbyterian Medical Center||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Teaching||1871||1995||Houses Penn's departments of Orthopaedics and Ophthalmology, in addition to long-term care and nursing home facilities|
|Chester County Hospital||West Chester, PA||Teaching||1892||2013|
|Lancaster General Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Teaching||1893||2015||Part of the Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health network|
|Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Specialist||2008||2008||Houses the Abramson Cancer Center and Roberts Proton Therapy Center|
|Penn Medicine University City||University City, Philadelphia, PA||Specialist||Home to the Penn Musculoskeletal Center|
|Penn Medicine Rittenhouse||Southwest Center City, Philadelphia, PA||Rehabilitation||1916||1997||Houses the Penn Medicine Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine (operated by Good Shepherd Penn Partners) and the Specialty Hospital at Rittenhouse|
|Penn Medicine Radnor||Radnor Township, PA||Outpatient||Comprehensive primary and specialized outpatient care.|
|Penn Medicine Cherry Hill||Cherry Hill, NJ||Outpatient|
|Women & Babies Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Specialist||2000||2015||Specialty hospital for babies and women of all ages, part of the Lancaster General Health network|
|Lancaster Rehabilitation Hospital||Lancaster, PA||Rehabilitation||2007||2015||Part of the Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health network, co-owned by Kindred Healthcare|
|Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center||Plainsboro Township, NJ||Teaching||1919||2018||Part of the Penn Medicine Princeton Health network|
- "Meet our CEO". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "J. Larry Jameson, MD, PhD". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Penn Medicine Announces Chester County Hospital and Health System as a New Member of the University of Pennsylvania Health System". Penn Medicine News. Penn Medicine News. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Princeton Health Joins Penn Medicine". Penn Medicine Princeton Health. Penn Medicine Princeton Health. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- Braccia, Zoe (January 10, 2018). "Penn Medicine officially incorporated the Princeton HealthCare System". The Daily Pennsylvanian. Philadelphia, PA. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Acquisition of Phoenixville Hospital sewn up". Philadelphia Business Journal. Philadelphia Business Journal. 2 August 2004. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Penn Medicine Locations – Penn Medicine". Penn Medicine. Penn Medicine. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "History of Penn Medicine". Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "About Chester County Hospital". Chester County Hospital. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "History". Lancaster General Health. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Good Shepherd and the University of Pennsylvania Health System Form New Organization to Enhance Rehabilitation Care in the Region" (Press release). Good Shepherd Rehab. 2007-01-23. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2017-03-28.