University of Guelph-Humber
|University of Guelph|
|Colours||Red and blue|
|Mascot||Swoop the Great Horned Owl|
The university was established in 2002 by a partnership of the University of Guelph and Humber College. The official website of the university says that it was created to "produce a well-prepared university graduate". It is located on Humber College's North Campus in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The university offers seven four-year undergraduate academic programs, each of which grants a university honours degree from the University of Guelph and a college diploma from Humber College. The campus of Guelph-Humber is also home to the University of Guelph's MFA program.
When the university opened, it was intended for 2,000 students, but it has since seen a growing number of applicants. In 2014, the university saw a 19% increase in applicants, when student confirmations were dropping overall at Ontario universities. According to the official website of the university, its programs' estimated cutoff range is 75%–80%. However, the university's vice-provost, John Walsh, said to the Toronto Sun in 2016 that the university's incoming average is 80% for all programs.
Maclean's magazine described Guelph-Humber programs as a "standout program" of the University of Guelph. Faze ranked the university's "Media Studies" program as one of the best journalism school in Canada. The university's "very low" attrition rate and "phenomenally high" four-year completion rate make it popular among students.
- Early Childhood Studies
- Family and Community Social Services
- Justice Studies
- Media Studies
- Alpha Phi Sigma
- DECA U
- Early Childhood Studies (ECS) Society
- FCSS Society
- Guelph-Humber Accounting Council (GHAC)
- Guelph-Humber Advertising & Marketing Association (GHAMA)
- Guelph-Humber Business Council (GHBC)
- Guelph-Humber Consulting Association (GHCA)
- Guelph-Humber Entrepreneurs Society (GHES)
- Guelph-Humber Finance Society (GHFS)
- Guelph-Humber Pre-Law Society (GHPLS)
- GuHu Media
- International Business Association
- Kinesiology Society
- Psi Chi (International Honour Society in Psychology)
- Psych Society
- Women in Business Society (WIBS)
Guelph-Humber's Plant Wall is a new form of technology that uses a biological system to filter indoor air. The tropical plants that thrive on the four-storey wall are exposed to nearly a full day of sunlight from the large windows and rooftop skylights. The wall has an area of approximately 150 square meters and consists of roughly over 1,000 individual living plants. It acts as a bio-filter and purifies the air that circulates around the building. Working like a humidifier, the wall warms the air in the winter and cools the building's air during the summer. The living wall also reduces the threat of airborne pollutants simply by creating a more esthetically pleasing environment. The wall also saves energy by lowering the need to bring new air into the building.
Relationship with the University of GuelphEdit
Guelph-Humber has no degree granting power. Degrees are conferred by the University of Guelph. Guelph-Humber graduates are considered as University of Guelph alumni and receive alumni benefit cards from Guelph. Outside sources often describe Guelph-Humber as part of the Guelph; Mclean in its university ranking called Guelph-Humber's programs "standout programs of the University of Guelph".
- "2018-2019 Undergraduate Calendar XV. Summary of Attendance". University of Guelph.
- University of Guelph-Humber Mascot
- 5 things only Guelph-Humber students understand, Ignite
- Programs of Study U of G
- Our Story, U of GH
- Academic programs UofGH
- Profile: University of Guelph-Humber Toronto Star
- MFA creative writing
- Is a joint program right for you? Toronto Sun
- Students like diploma-degree option at Guelph-Humber, Maclean's
- ENROLMENT DROPS FOR FIRST TIME IN 15 YEARS, The Eyeopener
- High School Applicant U of GH
- University of Guelph: Ranking, profile Maclean's
- These Are Canada’s Top Journalism Schools, Faze
- 2017-18 Senate Membership University of Guelph
- Student Government
- When ‘going green’ means exactly that, Toronto Star
- The Plant Wall U of GH
- Guelph-Humber Plant Wall a Breath of Fresh Air, U of G News
- Alumni Benefits and Deals U of GH