The University of Abuja is a tertiary institution in the Nigerian capital, Abuja. It was established in January 1988 (under Decree No. 110 of 1992 as amended) as a dual-mode university with the mandate to run conventional and distance learning programmes. Academic work began in the university in 1990 with the matriculation of its pioneer students.
|Motto||For Unity and Scholarship.|
|Established||1 January 1988|
|Vice-Chancellor||Abdul Rasheed Na'Allah|
|Campus||Rural, 11,800 hectares (29,000 acres)|
The university took off from a temporary site, made up of three blocks of building meant for a primary school in Gwagwalada, tagged the "mini - campus". Academic activities started on the mini - campus in 1990 after which the university was allocated an expanse of land covering over 11,800 hectares (29,000 acres) along the Abuja city Airport road for the development of its main campus.
Relocation to the permanent site has been ongoing to-date. The campus now hosts three female and two male hostels housing thousands of students. However, the distance learning offices of the university are located within the Abuja municipality (Area 3 Garki) where contact sessions of the programme are also held.
The University Library was established in 1988 to support teaching, learning and research to meet the objectives of university of Abuja with information resources online and offline. The University main library is located in the main Campus alone Airport road, Abuja.
The university offers diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes as well as a Centre for Distance Learning School which provides university education to those who cannot acquire such education through the regular university system and those interested in acquiring new knowledge and specialised skills.
A list of faculties and colleges currently at the University of Abuja include:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Art
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- School of Post Graduate Studies
- School of Remedial Studies
- College of Health Sciences
- College of Medicine
- The Institute of Legislative Education
The University has further plans to commence the Geology and Mining program in the 2023/2024 academic session as stated by the Vice Chancellor of the University of Abuja, Professor Abdul-Rasheed Na’Allah. 
Council and Administration Edit
The Key organs and officers involved in the administration and governance of the university are: the Governing Council, the Senate, the Congregation and the Convocation, the Vice-Chancellor, Two Deputy Vice Chancellors (Administration and Academic), the Registrar and Secretary to Council, the Bursar, the University Librarian, Deans of Faculties, Directors of Centres and Institutes and Heads of Department. All these organs and officials are supported by the Committee system which is the pivot of administration of the university.
The Governing Council The Council consists of the Chairman who is also the Pro-Chancellor of the university, the Vice Chancellors (Administration and Academic) a representative of the Federal Ministry of Education, four persons appointed by the National Council of Ministers representing broad national interests, four persons appointed by the Senate from its members, one persons each appointed by the Congregation and the Convocation among their members and the Registrar as Secretary to Council. The council is the highest policy-making organ of the university.
The Senate The Senate is the highest University authority on academic matters. It is the general function of the Senate to organise and control teaching at the university and the admission and discipline of students, as well as the promotion of research. The Senate comprises the Vice-Chancellor as Chairman, the Deputy Vice-Chancellors, the Professors, the University Librarian, Deans, Directors and Deputy Deans, Heads of Academic Departments, one member of academic staff representing each Faculty and the Registrar as Secretary.
The Congregation The Congregations is made up of all members of staff of the university who were university graduates by appointment. The Vice-Chancellor is its chairman and the Registrar is Secretary. Congregation meetings, being statutory, are called to afford members opportunities to have a say in matters affecting their welfare.
The university runs a consultancy services sub-degree program and an institute of education to cater for the professional needs of teachers and specialised needs of government education bodies; it provides avenues for the establishment of linkages on education matters with organisations and institutions within and outside Nigeria.
The University during its 96th regular meeting in May 2023 promoted 19 of its academic staff to professorial rank. 8 were promoted to the rank of professor, while 11 were promoted to the rank of associate professor 
During the 96th Regular meeting, the Governing Council of the University of Abuja approved the appointment of the youngest professor of law in Nigeria and the first female professor of law from Northwest Nigeria, Aisha Sani Maikudi, alongside Professor Philip Afaha as Deputy Vice Chancellors Academic and Administrative respectively. 
The main gate entrance of The University of Abuja Nigeria
Senate and Admin Building
Side view of Senate Building
Faculty of Arts
Centre for Distance Learning
Faculty of Management sciences
The Lady justice at Law faculty
Faculty of Agriculture
The new female Hostel
Faculty of Social Sciences at University of Abuja, Abuja, Nigeria
Faculty of Agriculture Lecture theatre
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Faculty of Law
ETF main hall
Notable alumni Edit
- Aishah Ahmad, deputy governor Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Chuks Anyaduba - lawyer, filmmaker and humanitarian
- Jake Okechukwu Effoduh - radio personality, human rights activist and lawyer
- Olumide Idowu - youth campaigner and climate change activist
- JaySynths – record producer
- Kanayo O. Kanayo - actor, film maker and lawyer
- P-Square, Afrobeat duo
- Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim – director-general of NAPTIP
- "Welcome to University of Abuja". Laravel. Retrieved 2021-09-01.
- "CLE commends UniAbuaj on low students feat". guardian.ng. 20 September 2015. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "Welcome to University of Abuja". Laravel. Retrieved 2021-09-01.
- "UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA LIBRARY's open resources | University of Abuja Open Education Resources (OER)". oer.uniabuja.edu.ng. Retrieved 2022-12-30.
- "UNIABUJA launches geology, mining department 2023". 21 December 2022.
- "About Us -' Governance". UniAbuja. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- https://thenationonlineng.net/uniabuja-promotes-19-to-rank-of-professor/[bare URL]
- https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/uniabuja-promotes-19-academic-staff/[bare URL]
- "UNIABUJA appoints youngest professor of law as DVC". 8 May 2023.
- "UNIABUJA Appoints Youngest Professor of Law DVC - THISDAYLIVE".
- "Buhari nominates Aisha Ahmad as Central Bank Deputy Governor". BellaNaija. 2017-10-06. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- "Jake Okechukwu Effoduh now a Queen Elizabeth Scholar". RefinedNG. 2020-11-09. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- "» Olumide Idowu". atlascorps.org. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/532428-uniabuja-vice-chancellor-seeks-alumni-support-for-university.html?tztc=1[bare URL]