United International University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
United International University or UIU is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh, The government of Bangladesh approved the establishment of United International University in 2003 under the Private University Act (PUA) of 1992 (now replaced by PUA 2010). Financial support came from the United Group, a Bangladeshi business conglomerate.
Seal of United International University
|Motto||Quest for Excellence|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Chowdhury Mofizur Rahman|
|320 (full-time faculty), 100 (adjunct faculty). Total – 420|
|Students||More than 6000 undergraduate and graduate students Running|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh IEB|
The University has permanent campuses in Dhaka United City, Madani Avenue, Satarkul, Badda, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh.The UIU main Campus is built with the purpose of imparting education in a befitting infrastructure and congenial environment. Containing about 1,00,000 sq. ft. floor space,[clarification needed] the campus has twelve floors with two basements.
A plot of 25-bigha land,[clarification needed] located at the “United City” at Satarkul (2.5 km Embassy of the United States, Dhaka , has been purchased from Neptune Land Development Ltd. where the permanent campus of UIU is being built up in a comprehensive manner.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The minimum qualification for admission into an undergraduate program is:
A minimum GPA of 2.5/2nd division/equivalent grade in SSC and HSC or equivalent public examinations. Students with GPA 2.00 in any examination either SSC or HSC, however, must have a minimum GPA of 6.00 totalling the GPA of both the examinations. For BBA in AIS program (SSC+HSC) total GPA requirement is 7.00. O-level students must have completed minimum 5 subjects and A-level students minimum 2 subjects. However, a student must have ‘B’ Grade/GPA 4.0 in 4 subjects and ‘C’ Grade/GPA 3.5 in the rest 3 subjects of a minimum 7 subjects in the two examinations. A GED candidate would be eligible to get admission to any undergraduate program if he/she scores a minimum number of 410 out of 800 in all (5) GED courses separately and 450 on an average. For admission to BSEEE/ETE/CSE programs, students must have had Physics and Mathematics in HSC/A-Level or equivalent level. The students, that are sons/daughters of freedom fighters, will be eligible for getting admission if they have a minimum GPA of 5.00 totalling the GPA of SSC and HSC Examinations. Such students, however, have to submit the copy of authenticated certificate as the proof of his/her father/mother’s identity as a freedom fighter. Admission Test is not required for GPA 5.00 holders in H.S.C/equivalent level of exams for getting admission to an undergraduate program.
- The minimum qualification for admission into a graduate program is:
A relevant undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a GPA of 2.00 or above in a scale of 4.0 A relevant bachelor's degree with at least second divisions/classes in all previous exams. Students completing undergraduate programs from UIU having a minimum CGPA of 2.00 will be eligible to get admission to any graduate programs without appearing at the Admission Test. Different departments may have some additional requirements. Some students may be required to complete some additional preparatory courses at UIU before they start their Master’s programs.
School of Science & EngineeringEdit
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
School of Business and EconomicsEdit
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- BBA in Accounting & Information Systems (BBA in AIS)
- Bachelor of Science in Economics
- Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive MBA (EMBA)
- Master of Science in Economics
- Master in Development Studies (MDS)
- Master in International Human Resource Management (MIHRM)
Electrical & Electronics LaboratoryEdit
- Electronic Workshop
- Digital Electronics
- Industrial Electronics
- Radio and Television Engineering
- Microwave and Telecommunication
- VLSI Lab
- Measurements and Instrumentation
- Control, Microprocessor and Microcontroller Systems
- Electronics Lab
- Electrical Circuit Lab-1
- Electrical Circuit lab-2
- Simulation Lab
- Control lab
- Microwave & Optical Communication Lab
- Telecom Lab
- Machine Lab
- Power System Lab
- Digital & Microprocessor Lab
- Project Lab
- Software Engineering Laboratory
- Network Laboratory
- Multimedia Laboratory
- Hardware Laboratory
- Center for Energy Research (CER) 
- Biomedical Engineering Center
Library and Documentation CenterEdit
UIU Central library has an extensive compilation of books, journals, periodicals and monographs of relevant engineering fields. The library has a collection of 40,293 items of information materials. Among the materials, 86,200 and 12,458 are books and bound periodicals respectively. Besides, 141 titles are in the current subscription list of journals. Every year, 500 volumes are added to the main reading room of the central library. The central library of UIU can accommodate 100 students at a time and provide reading facilities of rare and out-of-print books alongside ready reference and prescribed textbooks. The library offers free internet and a rental library program. Both undergraduate and post-graduate students are eligible to use the internet in the production of their valid ID cards along with the user name.There are also departmental libraries in each departments and institutes. There are also hall libraries in each of the residence halls.
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Student Branch Affinity Group was initiated quite recently, as of December 2015. It was the first student branch to inaugurate a WIE Affinity Group in Bangladesh. With a total of 20 female members and over 60 WIE members, IEEE UIU WIE SB Affinity Group aspires to expand its boundaries out to every engineer at UIU, whether male or female.
The academic programs of the University are recognized by the following organizations:
Collaboration with Foreign UniversitiesEdit
- University of South Alabama - USA
- University of Texas at Brownsville - USA
- University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College
- State University of New York, Brockport - USA
- University of Bradford - UK
- University of Lumiere Lyon 2 - France
Student activities are promoted through student clubs. The clubs are having student committees administered by the Moderator (Faculty Member) and their activities are coordinated by the Directorate of Student Affairs (DSA). DSA creates the opportunities of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities for the student to explore and support the talents of students. DSA also arranges interest free loan for the Students in the emergency and urgent need of them. Since last one year, UIU DSA office has disbursed at least 30 lacs taka as interest free loan among the UIU students. In addition to that, UIU and United Group provide donation or financial support from ‘UIU Welfare Fund” to the Students who suffer from the sudden crisis happening during the Study life at UIU.  Following clubs are recognized by UIU DSA : 
UIU Business Club (UIUBC)Edit
UIUBC arranges Marketing Samurai, The Millionaire Mind, workshops and seminars every year.
UIU Cultural Club (UIUCC)Edit
UIUCC arranges Pahela Baishak, Mega Hunt, Art and Essay Competition and some other programs every year and also earned some big achievements like :
- Champion of Bikroy.com Flash mob Performance -2014
- NSU Canvas Club Champion-2014
- All University Art Competition champion-2014
- 3rd Position in ICC T20 Flash mob Performance- 2013
UIU Debate Club (UIUDC)Edit
UIUDC participated in World University Debate Championship (WUDC) 2013 at four different universities in the United Kingdom (UK) and also in the UK Parliament House for debating and adjudicating purposes from October 2012 to January 2013. UIU debate team has participated in different international tournament in Malaysia, Philippine, Berlin (Germany), Oxford IV, and Cambridge IV etc.
UIU Electrical & Electronics Club (UIUEEC)Edit
UIUEEC is the first engineering students' club of UIU. The club works with the motto “Innovation and Excellence to Asymptote”. Formerly known as the 'Science and Engineering Club', UIUEEC is closely affiliated with the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of the university . The club started its journey on February, 2013. They are active with different events like seminars, workshops, study tours, competitions, project exhibitions etc. UIUEEC organizes 'Tech Quest', which is the biggest technical festival of the university  . Following technical festivals were organized by UIUEEC :
UIUEEC teaches practical task by different types of workshops and professional training programs. It provides every kind of technical consultancy on various types of projects for both academic and competition purpose. UIUEEC works to develop the skill of an engineering student. These skills not only prepare an engineering student for the competitive job sector but also create the confidence to achieve success. Following workshops are regularly organizes by UIUEEC :
- Workshop on Solar Mini-grids Design
- Workshop on Solar Home System Design
- Workshop on AutoCAD Design
- Workshop on Microcontroller & Hardware interface
- Workshop on Arduino
- Workshop on Robotics with Arduino
- Workshop on Internet of things with Arduino
- Workshop on Android Controlled Robot
- Workshop on Printed circuit board Design and Implementation
- Workshop on Basic Electronics
- Workshop on Idea Presentation
UIUEEC always maintains a good communication between executives and general members. It not only helps student to get consultancy and support in any situation but also teaches them the benefits of the team work and also gives some experience in management which builds personality. Volunteers not only get opportunity to obtain experience at administrative, management and communicative levels of UIUEEC but also get chance to work on high technology projects with experts and engineering professionals. Following seminars were organized by UIUEEC :
- Embedded System on 28th March, 2016
- Current Research in the University of New South Wales' Energy Research Group on 24th December, 2015
- Scope of Education for visually impaired people & Facilitating access to published works on 19th September, 2015    
- Brain Machine Interface on 27th August, 2015
- Growth of Renewable Energy in Bangladesh : Challenges & Opportunity on 9th April, 2015
Many former executives of UIUEEC are working for various type of multinational and global brand company like Dhaka WASA, Toshiba, Energypac, Super Star Group BD, Doreen Group, Ulkasemi Limited, Solarland Bangladesh Co. Ltd., Centre for Energy Research (CER) of UIU, Scube Technologies Ltd., East Coast Group, SYMPA Solar Power Ltd., Sincos Automation Technologies Ltd., Instrumentation Engineering Services Ltd. (IESL) and many more. Among its many notable achievements, UIUEEC boasts its glorious participation in Techkriti 2018, held at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India. In the Robo War Category of the competition, the club secured first position in the Bangladesh Zonal Round. 
UIU Photography Club (UIUPC)Edit
UIUPC arranges National Photography Competition named as Shutter Stories, Mobile photography exhibition named as Muthography, Intra Varsity Photography Exhibition and Workshop related program Every Year. Some of the achievements of UIUPC are given below :
- Winner in Black & White Category, “Shutter Stories, Chapter – 01"
- Commended Photographer in Enhanced Category, “2016 Sony World Photography Awards
- “Commended Photographer” Award in Sony World Photographic Competition in 2011
- First Prize in Life Category in ‘Airtel Break the Circle Competition’ in 2011
- Won Third Position in the Photo Story Category in International Inter University Photography Exhibition, Bangladesh 2011
- Best Portrait Award & BPS Trophy in 2011
- Finalist in IPA Photography Competition in Asia 2012
UIU Social Service Club (UIUSSC)Edit
The main purpose of UIUSSC is to provide social services voluntarily to people who are deprived of basic facilities and opportunities. This club arranges winter clothing program every year and an information booth of blood donors.
UIU Sports Club (UIUSC)Edit
UIUSC is the only club which organizes all the sports activities of United International University. UIUSC organizes Intra-Varsity Cricket Tournament, Intra-university Football Tournament and Inter University Table Tennis Tournament every year. UIUSC participated in different sports events like : Cricket, Football, Table Tennis, Chess tournament etc.
UIU Theater & Film Club (UIUT&FC)Edit
UIUT&FC arranges drama, short film, workshops and other competitions every year. Some of the achievements of UIUT&FC are given below :
- Two films are screened at International Short Film Festival, Organized by Dhaka University in 2015
- Shawon Mojumder member of UIUT&FC was only Mentor from Bangladesh at Mirakkel Akkel Challenger-8 in 2014
- 6th position and 8th position, Short film Festival on earthquake, Organized by Jica, Supported by CNCRP and Government of Bangladesh in 2014
- "Private University Act, 1992". Bangladesh Gazette Extraordinary. 9 August 1992. Retrieved 2007-06-25 – via Südasien-Institut, Universität Heidelberg.
- "UIU Campus - United International University (UIU)". United International University (UIU). Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Permanent Campus UIU".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2014-09-24.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "eLINK". UIU. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "Applications for eLINK Project". Kantipur Engineering College. Archived from the original on 28 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-05.