United International University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
United International University or UIU is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh, The government of Bangladesh approved the establishment of United International University in 2003 under the Private University Act (PUA) of 1992 (now replaced by PUA 2010). Financial support came from the United Group, a Bangladeshi business conglomerate.
Seal of United International University
|Motto||Quest for Excellence|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Chowdhury Mofizur Rahman|
|320 (full-time faculty), 100 (adjunct faculty). Total – 420|
|Students||More than 6000 undergraduate and graduate students Running|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh IEB|
The University has permanent campuses in Dhaka United City, Madani Avenue, Satarkul, Badda, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh.The UIU main Campus is built with the purpose of imparting education in a befitting infrastructure and congenial environment. Containing about 1,00,000 sq. ft. floor space,[clarification needed] the campus has twelve floors with two basements.
A plot of 25-bigha land,[clarification needed] located at the “United City” at Satarkul (2.5 km Embassy of the United States, Dhaka , has been purchased from Neptune Land Development Ltd. where the permanent campus of UIU is being built up in a comprehensive manner.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The minimum qualification for admission into an undergraduate program is:
A minimum GPA of 2.5/2nd division/equivalent grade in SSC and HSC or equivalent public examinations. Students with GPA 2.00 in any examination either SSC or HSC, however, must have a minimum GPA of 6.00 totalling the GPA of both the examinations. For BBA in AIS program (SSC+HSC) total GPA requirement is 7.00. O-level students must have completed minimum 5 subjects and A-level students minimum 2 subjects. However, a student must have ‘B’ Grade/GPA 4.0 in 4 subjects and ‘C’ Grade/GPA 3.5 in the rest 3 subjects of a minimum 7 subjects in the two examinations. A GED candidate would be eligible to get admission to any undergraduate program if he/she scores a minimum number of 410 out of 800 in all (5) GED courses separately and 450 on an average. For admission to BSEEE/ETE/CSE programs, students must have had Physics and Mathematics in HSC/A-Level or equivalent level. The students, that are sons/daughters of freedom fighters, will be eligible for getting admission if they have a minimum GPA of 5.00 totalling the GPA of SSC and HSC Examinations. Such students, however, have to submit the copy of authenticated certificate as the proof of his/her father/mother’s identity as a freedom fighter. Admission Test is not required for GPA 5.00 holders in H.S.C/equivalent level of exams for getting admission to an undergraduate program.
- The minimum qualification for admission into a graduate program is:
A relevant undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a GPA of 2.00 or above in a scale of 4.0 A relevant bachelor's degree with at least second divisions/classes in all previous exams. Students completing undergraduate programs from UIU having a minimum CGPA of 2.00 will be eligible to get admission to any graduate programs without appearing at the Admission Test. Different departments may have some additional requirements. Some students may be required to complete some additional preparatory courses at UIU before they start their Master’s programs.
School of Science & EngineeringEdit
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
School of Business and EconomicsEdit
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- BBA in Accounting & Information Systems (BBA in AIS)
- Bachelor of Science in Economics
- Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive MBA (EMBA)
- Master of Science in Economics
- Master in Development Studies (MDS)
- Master in International Human Resource Management (MIHRM)
Electrical & Electronics LaboratoryEdit
- Electronic Workshop
- Digital Electronics
- Industrial Electronics
- Radio and Television Engineering
- Microwave and Telecommunication
- VLSI Lab
- Measurements and Instrumentation
- Control, Microprocessor and Microcontroller Systems
- Electronics Lab
- Electrical Circuit Lab-1
- Electrical Circuit lab-2
- Simulation Lab
- Control lab
- Microwave & Optical Communication Lab
- Telecom Lab
- Machine Lab
- Power System Lab
- Digital & Microprocessor Lab
- Project Lab
- Software Engineering Laboratory
- Network Laboratory
- Multimedia Laboratory
- Hardware Laboratory
- Energy Renewable Center
- Biomedical Engineering Centre
Library and Documentation CentreEdit
UIU Central library has an extensive compilation of books, journals, periodicals and monographs of relevant engineering fields. The library has a collection of 40,293 items of information materials. Among the materials, 86,200 and 12,458 are books and bound periodicals respectively. Besides, 141 titles are in the current subscription list of journals. Every year, 500 volumes are added to the main reading room of the central library. The central library of UIU can accommodate 100 students at a time and provide reading facilities of rare and out-of-print books alongside ready reference and prescribed textbooks. The library offers free internet and a rental library program. Both undergraduate and post-graduate students are eligible to use the internet in the production of their valid ID cards along with the user name.There are also departmental libraries in each departments and institutes. There are also hall libraries in each of the residence halls.
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Student Branch Affinity Group was initiated quite recently, as of December 2015. It was the first student branch to inaugurate a WIE Affinity Group in Bangladesh. With a total of 20 female members and over 60 WIE members, IEEE UIU WIE SB Affinity Group aspires to expand its boundaries out to every engineer at UIU, whether male or female.
The academic programs of the University are recognized by the following organizations:
Collaboration with Foreign UniversitiesEdit
- University of South Alabama - USA
- University of Texas at Brownsville - USA
- University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College
- State University of New York, Brockport - USA
- University of Bradford - UK
- University of Lumiere Lyon 2 - France
- "Private University Act, 1992". Bangladesh Gazette Extraordinary. 9 August 1992. Retrieved 2007-06-25 – via Südasien-Institut, Universität Heidelberg.
- "UIU Campus - United International University (UIU)". United International University (UIU). Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Permanent Campus UIU".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2014-09-24.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "eLINK". UIU. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "Applications for eLINK Project". Kantipur Engineering College. Archived from the original on 28 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-05.