United Bank for Africa
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, is a leading pan-African financial services group headquartered in Nigeria. It is one of Africa's best and most resilient banking Groups with operations in 20 African countries and offices in three global financial centers: London, Paris and New York.
|Industry||Financial Services, Banking, Investment Services|
|Headquarters||UBA House, 57 Marina, P.O. Box 2406, Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
|Tony Elumelu (C.O.N)|
Group Chairman Kennedy Uzoka
Group Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer
|Products||Internet banking |
Non-Resident African Banking
UBA has been operating in Africa since 1949, referred to then as the British and French Bank Limited (BFB). It took over the assets and liabilities of BFB and was incorporated as a limited liability company on 23 February 1961 under the Compliance Ordinance (Cap 37) 1922.
In 2005, it completed one of the biggest mergers in the history of Nigeria’s capital markets with the business combination with Standard Trust Bank (STB) Plc. From then, it continued to expand to Ghana, Benin Republic, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Chad, Cameroon, Kenya, Gabon, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, Liberia, Sierra-Leone, Mozambique, Senegal, Congo DR, Congo Brazzaville and Mali. Followed by its pioneer Initial Public Offer in the Nigerian banking industry in 1970, UBA got listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, where it is publicly traded under the symbol "UBA" and it is the first Nigerian-headquartered bank to launch Global Depository Receipts, which are unlisted.
In 2006, the bank pioneered the interconnection of its then 428 African branches making it the largest online real time branch network in Africa. Africans are able to withdraw or deposit money in any of these branches regardless of where their accounts are domiciled. Since then, the bank has remained in the forefront of technology innovation in the African banking space, launching the first artificial intelligence Virtual Banking Robot in the African market early 2018.
- UBA New York – Regulated by the Office of the Controller of the Currency, is a member of the United States Federal Reserve System. Its balance sheet size is in excess of US$1 billion.
- UBA United Kingdom
- UBA UK Limited, formerly called UBA Capital Europe was established as UK regulated investment banking operation in January 2008 but later got the authorization of the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) as a wholesale bank, regulated by the PRA and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- UBA France – the Bank maintains a representative office in Paris for global account management and coordination of its business in the Francophone African markets, Paris and broader Europe.
- UBA Benin - Carrefour des trois Banques, Avenue Pape Jean-Paul II, Cotonou, Benin Republic
- UBA Burkina – 1340, Avenue Dimdolobsom, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- UBA Cameroon S.A. – Cameroon represents UBA's first operational base in Central Africa (CEMAC Region), commencing operations in December 2007 with head office at Boulevard de la liberte Akwa Douala, Cameroon
- UBA Chad – Avenue Charles de Gaulle, N’djamena, BP 1148 N’Djamena- Tchad Chad
- UBA Congo Brazzaville – Started Operations In July 2011. and current has head office at 37 Avenue William Guynet, Face Rond Point City Center, Centre ville, Brazzaville
- UBA RDC (or UBA Congo DRC), commenced operations in 2011, is located at 1853, Avenue de la libération, Commune de la Gombe. Kinshasa.
- UBA Côte d'Ivoire – UBA CDI effectively commenced business in June 2008 with head office at Boulevard Botreau-Roussel, Immeuble Kharrat, Abidjan
- UBA Gabon has its head office at 282 Avenue Marquis de Compiegne, BP 12035, Libreville, Gabon
- UBA Ghana Limited – commenced operations in 2004 and now operates from 28 branches. Its head office is at Heritage Tower, Ambassadorial Enclave, off Liberia Road Ridge Accra, Ghana.
- UBA Guinea-Cky has its head office at Rue du Chateau d'eau ‑ Marche Niger, Commune de Kaloum, Almamya, Guinea
- UBA Kenya has its head office at Apollo Centre, Vale Close, Ring Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya.
- UBA Liberia – It began operations in July 2008. The Corporate Head Office is on Broad & Nelson Street, Monrovia, Liberia.
- UBA Mali – located at Hamdallaye ACI 2000, Rue 360, Lot 2511, Face Bibliotheque Nationale, Bamako-Mali.
- UBA Nigeria- 57 Marina, Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
- UBA Mozambique – 16 de Junho Square, INCM Building 312, Maputo, Mozambique.
- UBA Senegal has its head office at Zone 12, Lot D, Route des Almadies, Dakar, Senegal.
- UBA Sierra Leone – Commenced active operations in July 2008 in Sierra Leone, with head office at 15 Charlotte Street, Freetown.
- UBA Tanzania is one of the Bank’s operations in East Africa and has its head office at 30C/30D Julius Nyerere Road, Po. Box 80514 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- UBA Uganda Limited – Represents UBA's pioneer country activities in the Eastern and Southern African sub-regions. It commenced operations in May 2008 and has its head office at Plot 2, Jinja Road, Kampala, Uganda
- UBA Zambia has its head office at Stand 22768, Thabo Mbeki Road, Lusaka, Zambia.
1. UBA was the first among international banks to be registered under Nigerian Law in 1961.
2. UBA is the only Sub-Saharan African bank, with a deposit taking license in the United States.
3. UBA is the only Nigerian-headquartered bank with full African footprint across all the sub-regions in Africa.
4. UBA is the first Nigerian-headquartered bank to offer an IPO following its listing on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1970.
5. UBA is the first Nigerian Bank to introduce a Cheque Guarantee Scheme – the first cheque guarantee card in the history of innovative banking services by any Bank in Nigeria, known as UBACARD in 1986.
6. First Nigerian-headquartered bank to hit the NGN1 trillion balance sheet size (including contingents).
7. UBA is the first Nigerian bank to embark on a GDR programme in 1990.
8. UBA is the First bank in Nigeria to institute a foundation – UBA Foundation; the Corporate Social Responsibility arm of the UBA Group.
9. UBA Introduced First Visa Dual Currency Debit Card in Nigeria.
10. UBA and MoneyGram open first dedicated MoneyGram location in Nigeria.
11. Successful underwriting of the first 100 percent local funding of an ExxonMobil/NNPC Joint Venture Project.
12. UBA launches Nigeria's First Cash Deposit ATMs
13. UBA is the first Pan-African bank to launch an AI-led Virtual Banking Robot
- UBA Appoints New Chairman Archived September 3, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- UBA GROUP APPOINTS KENNEDY UZOKA AS GROUP MANAGING DIRECTOR Archived May 4, 2018, at the Wayback Machine
- "UBA PLC: Leading the African Banking Renaissance -". www.ubagroup.com. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- "Bank of the Year - THISDAYLIVE". THISDAYLIVE. 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Ngr, Information (2019-07-10). "UBA Bank - Customer Care, Mobile/Internet Banking, Loan, Codes". Information Nigeria. Retrieved 2019-11-02.
- BSL-Finance United Bank for Africa Profile
- BSL-Finance United Bank for Africa Summary
- Google Finance listing for United Bank of Africa
- UBA Expects Protitability Across the Board In 2012