Unisource Worldwide, Inc. is a subsidiary of Veritiv and is a distributor of printing paper, packaging equipment and supplies, and facility maintenance equipment and supplies. It also provides logistics services to other companies through its truck fleet and warehouses.
History and ownershipEdit
Unisource was formed in 1996 when it split off from Alco Standard Corporation. After acquiring several local and regional distributors, Unisource was itself acquired by Georgia-Pacific LLC in 1999. In 2002, Bain Capital purchased a 60 percent ownership in Unisource Worldwide. Georgia-Pacific retains 40 percent ownership.
In 2004, the CEO, Chuck Tufano, was succeeded by Allan Dragone.
In 2005, the company donated $50,000 to the American Red Cross International Response Fund in response to the 2005 earthquake and tsunami in Southeast Asia.
Sustainable business initiativesEdit
Unisource was the first national paper distributor in the United States to attain certification from all three major chain-of-custody certification organizations: the Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC®), the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®), and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC).
In 2010, Unisource began requesting supplies to fill out a Sustainability Scorecard "to ensure that environmental responsibility is being practiced and assessed according to standard industry procedures."
Unisource is a member of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition.
- "Georgia-Pacific and Unisource Worldwide to Merge". May 25, 1999. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Georgia-Pacific and Bain Capital Complete Unisource Transaction". December 2, 2002. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Unisource Worldwide CEO steps down". Atlanta Business Chronicle. February 27, 2004. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Unisource Worldwide, Inc. Donates to Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Efforts". Business Wire. January 13, 2005. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "About Veritiv Corporation". Veritiv Corporation.
- FSC certificate (http://www.unisourceworldwide.com/Products/Paper/Documents/UWW%20FSC%20Certificate%20-%20Issue%206.pdf[permanent dead link])
- SFI certificate (http://www.unisourceworldwide.com/Products/Paper/Documents/UWW%20SFI%20Certificate%20-%20Issue%206.pdf[permanent dead link])
- PEFC certificate (http://www.unisourceworldwide.com/Products/Paper/Documents/UWW%20PEFC%20Certificate%20-%20Issue%207.pdf[permanent dead link])
- Mohan, Anne Marie (August 31, 2010). "Unisource Worldwide asks suppliers to complete Sustainability Scorecard". Greener Package. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Sustainable Packaging Coalition (http://www.sustainablepackaging.org/membership/list/)[permanent dead link]
- U.S. Green Building Council (http://www.usgbc.org/myUSGBC/Members/MemberDetails.aspx?CID=10080548)[permanent dead link]