Union Nationale des Étudiants de France
|Location||127, rue de l'Ourcq - 75019 Paris, France|
|Established||4 May 1907|
|President||Lilâ Le Bas|
|Affiliations||European Students' Union|
It works to represent the interest of students for national and local governments, political parties, the government bodies concerned with higher education and their administration of the universities. The organisation is also active on the international arena, particularly within the European Students' Union (ESU).
1907: UNEF foundation by the merging of many AGEs (Associations Générales d'Étudiants, Students' General Associations) from different towns at a meeting held in Lille
1946: Adoption of the Charter of Grenoble which define the student as a "young intellectual worker". Since then, the UNEF has considered itself to be a part of the labour movement. The creation in France of the students' social security and welfare systems are the result of UNEF activism
1950s: The UNEF led the protest for independence of Algeria
1971 to 2001: The UNEF was split between UNEF-SE (Solidarité Étudiante, Students' solidarity) (linked to the French Communist Party) and UNEF-US (Unité Syndicale, Union Unity), which later evolved into UNEF-ID (Indépendante et Démocratique, Independence and democracy) (linked to the Internationalist Communist Organisation and close to the Socialist Party).
1986: The UNEFs led a victorious strike against student fees and selection at college admission
1995: Major protests against a government project of minimum wage for youth lower than for other salaries
2001: The UNEFs eventually reunified under the name 'UNEF'.
2001: Yassir Fichtali elected new chairman
2005: Bruno Julliard elected new chairman
2007: Jean-Baptiste Prévost elected new chairman
2011: Emmanuel Zemmour elected new chairman
2014: William Martinet elected new chairman
2016: Lilâ Le Bas elected new chairman
Today, the UNEF is still composed of the different AGEs. There is one AGE in each town where a university is located, except in Paris, where there is an AGE by university. Membership is individual: every student can choose to join the AGE of his/her home town.
The UNEF holds a national conference every two years. National conference is the sovereign body of the UNEF and decide the UNEF policy.
Conferences are contested by factions:
- Majorité Nationale (National Majority): 80% of the votes in 2007
- Tendance pour une UNEF Unitaire et Démocratique (For a unitarian and democratic UNEF): 13%
- Tendance Refondation Syndicale (Union's refoundation): 7%
The conference also elects an administrative commission (Commission Administrative) to be the UNEF 'parliament' between conferences. The commission elects the National Board, the executive body.
The UNEF has created many national federations:
- CECED (Comité Étudiant Contre l'Extrême Droite, Students' Committee against Far Right)
- FERUF (Fédération des Étudiants en Résidences Universitaires de France, Resident Students Federation)
- UCEF (Union des Coopératives Étudiantes de France, Union of Students' Cooperatives)
- FENEC (Fédération Nationale des Étudiants Chercheurs)
The UNEF has also participated in the creation of different bodies related to students:
In the international background of allegations against Harvey Weinstein by The New York Times and The New Yorker, the French daily newspaper Le Monde published in November 2017 two detailed articles on alleged sexual harassment and predation supported by former UNEF presidents, Jean-Baptiste Prévost and Emmanuel Zemmour. In an editorial, more than 80 UNEF female members and militants have come forward to accuse the Union of "sexual violence". In December 2017, the president of the UNEF chapter in Nice, Paul Morançay resigned for covering up rape claims. Most members of the chapter have since resigned.
In spite of multiple "pressions", the daily newspaper Libération published in February 2018 a long article with sixteen testimonies of female activists who have suffered from rape, sexual harassment and abuse within the organisation.
- Kim Willsher, "Allegations of sexual violence soar in France after Weinstein scandal," The Guardian, 14 November 2017.
- Charlotte Cieslinski, "2017, année de révolte des femmes," L'Obs, 30 December 2017.
- "Harcèlement sexuel : la parole se libère à l’UNEF," Le Monde, 17 November 2017.
- "Enquête sur un système de violences sexistes au sein du syndicat étudiant UNEF," Le Monde, 28 November 2017.
- "Militantes, nous dénonçons les violences sexistes et sexuelles à l’UNEF," Le Monde, 28 November 2017.
- "Agression sexuelle d'une étudiante pendant un massage à la fac: les messages accablants qui plongent l'Unef dans la tourmente," Nice Matin, 6 December 2017
- "Viol d’une étudiante à Nice : le masseur écroué, l’Unef de Nice dans la tourmente," Le Figaro, 6 December 2017
- "Plainte pour viol d'une étudiante à Nice: le masseur écroué," France Info, 6 December 2017
- "A Nice, les atermoiements de l’UNEF sur une affaire de viol présumé," Le Monde, 16 December 2017
- Laure Bretton et Ismaël Halissat « Unef : trois mois d’enquête et une publication reportée », Libération, February 19, 2018.
- Laure Bretton et Ismaël Halissat, « Abus sexuels : les témoignages qui accablent l'Unef », Libération, February 19, 2018.