Union Carriage & Wagon
|Industry||Rolling stock manufacturing|
|Parent||Commuter Transport Engineering|
Union Carriage & Wagon was established in 1957. Initial shareholders were Commonwealth Engineering (51%), Budd Company (25%) and Leyland Motors (12%). By 1965, Budd and Metro Cammell Weymann held a combined 41% shareholding which they sold to Anglo American plc and General Mining. In December 1969, Commonwealth Engineering reduced its shareholding to 42% with the other two shareholders each owning 29%.
Having initially built carriages, in 1964, UCW delivered its first electrical locomotives to the South African Railways, the South African Class 5E1, Series 2. The Class 5E1 was also the first electrical locomotive to be produced in quantity in South Africa.
In 1974, UCW entered the international market with orders from Angola and Zambia. In 1976, UCW received its first Asian order for twenty Type E100 electric locomotives for Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA), based on a GEC design. In addition, the TRA E1000 push-pull trainsets were also manufactured jointly by UCW, GEC-Alsthom, Tang Eng Iron Works of Taiwan and Hyundai Rotem of South Korea.
In 1987, Commonwealth Engineering Parent company Australian National Industries sold its shareholding to Malbak Limited. In October 1996, the business was sold to Murray & Roberts. In February 2013, UCW was purchased by Commuter Transport Engineering.
- Com-Eng to Build New Plant in South Africa Railway Transportation July 1958 page 26
- Comeng Sells Interest in Sth African Subsidiary Railway Transportation December 1969 page 41
- Dunn, John (2008). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 2 1955-1966. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 188–209. ISBN 978-1877058424.
- Dunn, John (2010). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 3 1966-1977. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 92–106. ISBN 978-1877058738.
- History Union Carriage & Wagon
- South African Railways Index and Diagrams Electric and Diesel Locomotives, 610mm and 1065mm Gauges, Ref LXD 14/1/100/20, 28 January 1975, as amended
- South African rail works is well experienced Rails September 1978 pages 4-6
- 台灣鐵路火車百科：台鐵、高鐵、捷運(第三版)，蘇照旭 著，人人出版2014年2月出版（ISBN 9789865903404
- "assembly process at Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership". Gautrain. 16 October 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Renewed hope for jobs in Nigel as Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership (UCWP) starts assembling Gautrain vehicles". 10 September 2008. Archived from the original on 28 March 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Radebe, Jeff (11 September 2009). "Address at the Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership's (UCWP's) 10M4 launch". Department of Transport. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Dunn, John (2013). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 5 1985-2012. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 13–15, 203–219. ISBN 9781922013521.
- UCW Murray & Roberts
- South Africa's CTE acquires Union Carriage & Wagon International Railway Journal 4 February 2013
Media related to Union Carriage & Wagon at Wikimedia Commons
- Last archived version of official website (May 2014)
- Commuter Transport Engineering official website