Unified Payments Interface
This article may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2020)
This article needs to be updated.November 2020)(
Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is an instant real-time payment system developed by National Payments Corporation of India facilitating inter-bank transactions. The interface is regulated by the Reserve Bank of India and works by instantly transferring funds between two bank accounts on a mobile platform. As of March 2019, there are 142 banks live on UPI with a monthly volume of 799.54 million transactions and a value of ₹1.334 trillion (US$19 billion). UPI witnessed 1,029.44 crore transactions until August 2019. The mobile-only payment system helped transact a total of ₹17.29 lakh crore (US$240 billion) during the 37 months of operation starting from 2016.UPI transactions hit 2.2 billion transactions per month in november 2020.
|Product type||instant real-time inter-bank payment system|
|Owner||National Payments Corporation of India|
|Introduced||11 April 2016|
Unified Payments Interface is a real time inter bank payment system that allows sending or requesting money. Any UPI client app may be used and multiple bank accounts may be linked to single app. Money can be sent or requested with the following methods:
- Virtual Payment Address (VPA) or UPI ID: Send or request money from/to bank account mapped using VPA.
- Mobile number: Send or request money from/to the bank account mapped using mobile number.
- Account number & IFSC: Send money to the bank account.
- Aadhaar: Send money to the bank account mapped using Aadhaar number.
- QR code: Send money by QR code which has enclosed VPA, Account number and IFSC or Mobile number.
Any UPI app can use payment and transfer fund from and to UPI enabled banks.
Below is a list of some popular UPI mobile applications.
|Airtel Thanks||Airtel Payments Bank|
|Amazon Pay||Axis Bank|
|Google Pay||Axis Bank|
|State Bank of India|
|Jio Pay||Jio Payments Bank|
|Paytm||Paytm Payments Bank|
|Samsung Pay||Axis Bank|
|WhatsApp Pay||ICICI Bank|
|State Bank of India|
|Jio Payments Bank|
On 16 August 2018, UPI 2.0 was launched which enabled users to link their Overdraft accounts to a UPI handle. Users were also able to pre-authorise transactions by issuing a mandate for specific merchant. 2.0 version included a feature to view and store the invoice for the transactions. There's also an added feature of AutoPay facility for recurring payments.
The website of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) lists the banks that facilitate UPI. Banks here are termed as Payment Service Providers (PSP) - listed with their UPI application and handle - and issuers. PSP includes those banks which have their own mobile application to facilitate transaction and issuers include banks which don't have their payments interface and rely on third party software for transaction using UPI.
There are talks happening to operate UPI in United Arab Emirates and Singapore which has sizeable Indian expatriates and for ease of payment for Indian tourists travelling abroad. Committee on digital payments led by Nandan Nilekani had suggested that NPCI should internationalise payment services like UPI, RuPay and BHIM. NPCI is planning to link UPI with standalone mobile wallets so that users can transfer money from one provider to another one which till now is restricted due to use of closed source technology. There is also provision for off-line UPI payment through the use of near field communication (NFC).
- "UPI Product Statistics". NPCI. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Vinayak, A. J. "UPI completes 1,000 cr transactions". @businessline. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "UPI Product Statistics | NPCI - National Payments Corporation of India". www.npci.org.in. Retrieved 3 December 2020.
- UPI 3rd Party Apps NPCI
- Terms & Conditions BHIM UPI
- Sen, Meghna (6 November 2020). "WhatsApp Pay now live in India: Link these 5 bank accounts to use service". mint. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Experience Simplicity, Security & Seamlessness at the next level. | BHIM". www.bhimupi.org.in. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "NPCI introduces UPI AutoPay facility for recurring payment | NPCI" (PDF). https://www.npci.org.in. Retrieved 22 July 2020. External link in
- Bureau, Our. "NPCI launches UPI 2.0 with overdraft facility". @businessline. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "UPI Live Members". NPCI. 2 November 2018. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "UPI payments to soon be available in UAE, Singapore". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 24 October 2019.
- Bhasin, Tinesh (9 August 2020). "UPI set to be more convenient, facilitate more interoperability". Livemint. Retrieved 10 August 2020.