Unbecoming Age, also known as The Magic Bubble, is a 1992 American comedy film starring George Clooney and Diane Salinger. The film tells the story of woman who, for her 40th birthday, wishes to forget how old she is. A bottle of magic bubbles makes her wish come true, instantly transforming Julia into an ageless and happy woman.
The Magic Bubble DVD cover
|Music by||Jeff Lass|
|Edited by||Alan James Geik|
Castle Hill Productions (theatrical)|
Monarch Video (home media)
On her The Movie Archive Review website, Marjorie Johns awarded the film a score of six out of ten, stating that the film's "fantasy elements work well" and concluding that "it's a sweet natured, unpretentious little movie and not Scorsese".
Film critic Todd McCarthy of Variety based his negative review of the film on the fact that "the fantasy element...is exasperatingly tame", claiming that the screenwriters "have kept their imaginations too inhibited and domesticated where greater flights of fancy would have been welcome". McCarthy did agree that his "sympathy goes out to Salinger" for her ability to "remain somewhat likable" and that a "number of talented thesps brighten up the supporting cast" even though "few will count this among their more stellar credits".
Critic Peter Rainer of Los Angeles Times summarized his opinion with the opening sentence of his review titled "Magic Bubbles Can't Help Un-Becoming". He stated: "The comic premise of Un-Becoming Age...doesn't make a whit of sense"
- Potts, Kimberly (2007). George Clooney: the last great movie star. Applause Theatre & Cinema Books. p. 182. ISBN 978-1-55783-721-9.
- Wilmington, Michael (July 1, 1992). "AFI FESTIVAL Ray Adapts 'An Enemy of the People'".
- Johns, Marjorie. The Magic Bubble AKA Unbecoming Age starring George Clooney (1992), The Movie Archive Review, February 20, 2003. Accessed September 21, 2009.
- McCarthy, Todd. Unbecoming Age, Variety, July 16, 1992. Accessed September 21, 2009.
- Rainer, Peter. MOVIE REVIEW - Magic Bubbles Can't Help 'Un-Becoming', Los Angeles Times, March 26, 1993. Accessed September 21, 2009.