Un garibaldino al convento
Un garibaldino al convento is a 1942 Italian historical drama film directed by Vittorio De Sica. It is considered the work with which De Sica concludes the series of light comedies largely set in colleges and institutions for young girls and period costumes to enter into films of more contemporary and popular settings that will result in post-war neorealistic works. It was screened in November 1991 as part of a retrospective of De Sica's films at the Museum of Modern Art.
|Un garibaldino al convento|
|Directed by||Vittorio De Sica|
|Produced by||Mario Borghi|
|Written by||Renato Angiolillo|
Vittorio De Sica
|Edited by||Mario Bonotti|
A grandmother tells the story of a picture to her grandchildren of how many years before, she and her rival María Mercader as Mariella Dominiani, were both students of the convent of Santa Rossana. But their lives change when a wounded Garibaldi soldier, Count Amidei is hid on the grounds by the head of the convent, Tiepolo. Mariella, who knows the soldier and is engaged with him, cares for him. But the soldier is discovered and the nuns report him to opposing soldiers, who come for him. Tiepolo, and Mariella desperately try to stop them and barricade themselves with the soldier. Here, young Carla Del Poggio as Caterinetta Bellelli jumps on a horse is chased by the soldiers. But she reaches Garibaldi lines and with the help of Vittorio De Sica as Nino Bixio lads then back to the convent, and gets Count Amidei back to friendly lines, but he later dies in battle.
As the grandmother, (who is Caterinetta) finishes the story, her friend Mariella arrives, who has never married, and the nephews, look on understanding now.
- Leonardo Cortese as Il conte Franco Amidei
- María Mercader as Mariella Dominiani (as Maria Mercader)
- Carla Del Poggio as Caterinetta Bellelli
- Fausto Guerzoni as Tiepolo, Il guardiano del convento
- Elvira Betrone as La madre superiora
- Clara Auteri Pepe as Geltrude Corbetti
- Dina Romano as Suor Ignazia
- Olga Vittoria Gentilli as La marchesa Dominiani
- Federico Collino as Giacinto Bellelli
- Armando Migliari as Raimondo Bellelli
- Lamberto Picasso as Giovanni Bellelli
- Vittorio De Sica as Nino Bixio