Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates was an ongoing monthly comic book series published by Marvel Comics that made its debut in September 2011 as part of the second re-launch of Ultimate Marvel. Through the "Ultimate Universe Reborn" tagline following the "Death of Spider-Man" and written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Esad Ribic, the series also serves as a continuation of elements from Ultimate Comics: Fallout, and existed alongside other relaunched Ultimate Marvel titles including Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics: X-Men. The series continued the adventures of the Ultimates, including Nick Fury, Thor and Iron Man.
|Ultimate Comics The Ultimates|
Artwork for the cover of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates 1 (Aug 2011) Art by Esad Ribic.
|Publisher||Ultimate Marvel (Marvel Comics)|
|Publication date||August 2011 – November 2013|
|No. of issues||30|
|Written by||Jonathan Hickman |
Joshua Hale Fialkov
|Artist(s)||Esad Ribic |
Timothy Green II
The Ultimates was re-launched under the "Ultimate Universe Reborn" tagline, along with Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics: X-Men. While past Ultimates comics were limited series, Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates is an ongoing monthly series. Written by Jonathan Hickman (writer of other Ultimate works such as Ultimate Comics: Thor, Ultimate Comics: Fallout and Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye), and illustrated by Esad Ribic, the title will now called Ultimate Comics: Ultimates. The first story arc, "The Republic is Burning", takes place at the same as Hickman's other miniseries Ultimate Comics Hawkeye.
The first story arc by Jonathan Hickman had the emergence of two new superhuman threats, The People in the Southeast Asian Republic led by the brothers Xorn and Zorn, and the children of Tomorrow, led by Reed Richards. While the first story arc ended with Asgard destroyed and S.H.I.E.L.D. in pieces, the last story arc which began with Jonathan Hickman as writer but ended with Sam Humphries as his replacement, had the Ultimates victorious and Reed Richards arrested for his crimes. In the first Sam Humphries solo story arc Captain America returns to an America on the brink of destruction.
- Nick Fury: The director of SHIELD and original founder of the Ultimates.
- Thor: The Asgardian God of Thunder based on the Norse deity of the same name.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man: A billionaire industrialist who assumes the public role of hero in a mechanical suit of his own invention.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye: A master marksman who utilizes only a small array of weapons: his bow and arrows. His miniseries Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye takes place simultaneously with the first few issues of Ultimates.
- Monica Chang/Black Widow II: The second Black Widow (after Natalia Romanova) and ex-wife of Nick Fury.
- Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman: A female clone of the recently deceased superhero teenager Spider-Man. She shares most of his memories and first appears in issue three.
- Jamie Braddock/Captain Britain: After the European Union reconstituted the Excalibur Super-Soldier Program, Jamie Braddock became their leader as the new Captain Britain, replacing his severely ill brother Brian. Eventually Jamie joins the Ultimates.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon: An explorer, adventurer and scientist who uses a backpack with high-tech folding wings to fly.
- Reed Richards/Maker: Former member of the Fantastic Four, creator of the City and nemesis of the Ultimates. Once known as "Mister Fantastic".
- Bruce Banner/Hulk: Formerly a member of Ultimate X and the Ultimates who is still trying to resolve his Hulk issues. Banner is able to use his conscious mind when in Hulk form, but tends to revert to the brutish speech pattern of the Hulk when aggravated.
- Excalibur Class Super-Soldier Program: The European division of Super-Soldier which is their equivalent to America's Ultimates. Captains France, Captain Italy, Captain Spain and the new Captain Britain reside there.
- William/Jarvis II: Iron Man's new assistant that he calls Jarvis, partly due to the original Jarvis' death in Ultimates 2.
- Miles Morales/Spider-Man: A teenage superhero who uses the same name as the original Spider-Man.
Since the beginning of the relaunch, the series has received an overall highly positive reception. Chad Nevett from Comic Book Resources wrote that "the comic is exciting and sets up a large story that, right now, seems like it could easily end with the destruction of the team. A first issue that starts with its foot on the gas is exactly what’s called for", whilst IGN gave the first issue 8/10. By issue 7, Chadd Nevett commented that "since relaunching Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Jonathan Hickman, Esad Ribic and Dean White have produced one of the best comics at Marvel." When further commenting on the current state of Ultimate Comics line, Joshua Yehl of IGN stated, "the direction of Ultimate Comics X-Men is curious, while Spider-Man's is a steady stream of solid issues, but Ultimates has risen to a place where the best elements of sci-fi and super heroes have combined into an unforgettable tale".
|Title||Material collected||ISBN||Release date|
|Vol. 1: The Republic Is Burning||Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #1–6||ISBN 0-7851-5717-4||2012-03-12|
|Vol. 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds||Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #7–12||0-7851-5719-0||2012-08-01|
|Ultimate Comics Divided We Fall, United We Stand||Ultimate Comics Ultimates #13-18, Ultimate Comics X-Men #13-18, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 2 #13-18||978-0785184164, also 9780785167815||2012-10-15|
|Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Sam Humphries Vol. 1||Ultimate Comics Ultimates #18.1, 19-24||978-0785161745||2013-7-16|
|Ultimate Comics Ultimates: Disassembled||Ultimate Comics Ultimates #25-30||978-0785167242||2013-11-12|
|Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand||Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1-5, Cataclysm: Ultimates #1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men #1-3, Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man #1-3, Hunger #1-4, Cataclysm #0.1, Survive #1||978-0785189190||2014-3-18|
- Marvel Announces "Ultimate Comics: Ultimates". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved on 2011-09-28.
- Ultimate Comics Ultimates #1 Archived 2011-12-26 at the Wayback Machine.. Marvel.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-28.
- Phegley, Kiel (May 4, 2011). "Marvel Announces 'Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye'". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved on 2011-09-28.
- Goellner, Caleb (February 16, 2012). "Jonathan Hickman and Sam Humphries to Co-Write 'Ultimate Comics Ultimates'" Archived 2012-05-21 at the Wayback Machine. ComicsAlliance.
- Sam Humphries (w), Esad Ribic (p), Dean White (col). Ultimate Comics: Ultimates 13 (August 2012), Marvel Comics
- The Ultimates #1. Comic Book Resources. Retrieved on 2011-09-28.
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #1 Review Archived 2012-07-19 at Archive.is. IGN. Retrieved on 2011-09-28.
- The Ultimates #7. Comics Book Resources. Retrieved on 2012-03-07.
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #7 Review. IGN. Retrieved on 2012-03-07.