Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited
The Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL) is a parastatal company whose primary purpose is to make bulk electricity purchases and transmit the electricity along high voltage wires to local and foreign distribution points. UETCL is the sole authorized national bulk energy purchaser and the sole authorized electricity importer and exporter in Uganda.
|Founded||April 1, 2001|
10 Hannington Road|
Chairman of the Board
Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer
Number of employees
The headquarters of UETCL are at 10 Hannington Road on Nakasero Hill in Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the company headquarters are 0°19'13.0"N 32°35'12.5"E (Latitude:0.320278; Longitude:32.586806).
UETCL is responsible for the development, operations, maintenance, and improvement of the high-voltage power transmission lines in Uganda. It also owns and operates the high-voltage substations around the country. UETCL is wholly owned by the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development and is regulated by the Ugandan Ministry of Energy & Mineral Development.
Power loss reductionEdit
To reduce electricity transmission loses in the country, UETCL has borrowed US$100 million (UGX:337 billion) from Exim Bank of China to construct four mega substations. The installations will feed the industrial parks at Luzira, Namanve, Mukono, and Iganga. The work also involves construction of 38 kilometres (24 mi) of 132 kilovolt transmission lines. The work is expected to be complete in 2019.
- Odyek, John (20 March 2018). "UETCL asked to speed up power transmission projects". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- NRFB (February 2015). "Investing in the electricity sector in Uganda: Ten things to know". Nortonrosefulbright.com (NRFB). Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- UETCL (8 July 2018). "About Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited". Kampala: Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL). Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- UETCL (24 December 2015). "Contact Address of Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited". Kampala: Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL). Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- Google (19 August 2015). "Location of the Headquarters of UETCL, Kapala, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (31 October 2013). "France gives $23m for Fort Portal, Hoima power". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Agaba, John (24 October 2013). "Uganda gets €21m loan from German bank for electricity". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- Kato, Joseph (5 June 2016). "UETCL to build Shs300b power sub-stations". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- Wesonga, Nelson (15 December 2014). "Uganda looks to increase use of thermal electricity". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 12 November 2015.