Ube cake is a traditional Filipino chiffon cake or sponge cake made with ube halaya (mashed purple yam). It is distinctively vividly purple in color, like most dishes made with ube in the Philippines.
|Alternative names||Purple yam cake, Ube sponge cake, Ube chiffon cake, Purple cake|
|Place of origin||Philippines|
|Variations||Ube macapuno cake, Ube mamón, Ube taisan, Ube roll|
Ube cake is generally prepared identically to mamón (chiffon cakes and sponge cakes in Filipino cuisine), but with the addition of mashed purple yam to the ingredients. It is typically made with flour, eggs, sugar, a dash of salt, baking powder, vanilla, oil, milk, and cream of tartar. The resulting cake is pink to purple in color (depending on the amount of ube used) and slightly denser and moister than regular chiffon cakes.
Like mamón, ube cake can be modified readily into other recipes.
Ube macapuno cakeEdit
The combination of ube and macapuno (coconut sport) is a traditional one for ube halaya in Filipino cuisine, and it also applies to ube cakes. Ube macapuno cake is basically just ube cake with strips of gelatinous macapuno strips layered on top.
Ube roll or ube pianono is a variant of ube cake made into a Swiss roll (known as pianono in the Philippines). It typically has an ube filling made with butter, sugar, milk, and mashed ube. A very similar dessert made from meringue instead of chiffon or sponge cake is brazo de ube, which is more accurately a variant of brazo de Mercedes.
Ube taisan is a version of ube cake cooked as a traditional Filipino taisan cake. Like the taisan, it is rectangular in shape and is not frosted, but is covered with butter (or margarine), cheese, and white sugar.
- "Ube Cake". Kitchen Nostalgia. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Foods from the Phillippines: Ube Cake". Explorer Hop. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- David-Gallardo, Blanche (2017). The Expat Kitchen: A Cookbook for The Global Pinoy. Anvil Publishing, Incorporated. ISBN 9786214200740.
- "Ube Cake (Filipino Purple Yam Cake)". The Unlikely Baker. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube-Macapuno Cake". allrecipes.com. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Langka Sponge Cake Recipe". Pinoy Recipe at iba pa!. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "Ube Macapuno Cake Recipe". Yummy.ph. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Macapuno Cake Recipe". Heart of Mary. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Macapuno Cake". Atbp.ph.
- "Ube Macapuno Cake". Ang Sarap. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Tan, Joanne Catherine. "Top 12 Cakes To Try In The Philippines". When In Manila. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Mamon". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Mini Ube Mamon". Yummy.ph. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Mamon". Ang Sarap. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Mamon". Mama's Guide Recipes. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "How to Bake Ube Roll Cake". Atbp.ph. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Roll Cake". Filipino Chow. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ube Cake Roll (Purple Yam Cake)". My Style Recipe. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Brazo de Ube (Cake Roll)". Mama's Guide Recipes. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Ube Taisan (Ube Cake with Shredded Cheese and Sugar)". Woman Scribbles. 20 February 2018. Retrieved 27 March 2019.