Ube Industries, Ltd. (宇部興産株式会社 Ube Kōsan Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese chemical company manufacturing chemicals, plastics, battery materials, pharmaceuticals, cement, construction materials, and machinery.
|Traded as||TYO: 4208|
Nikkei 225 Component
|Headquarters||Seavans North Building, 1-2-1, Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8449, Japan|
(Tokyo head office)
1978-96 Kogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi 755-8633, Japan
(Ube head office)
(president and CEO)
|Revenue||$ 6.3 billion USD (FY 2013) (¥ 650.5 billion JPY) (FY 2013)|
|$ 122 million USD (FY 2013) (¥ 12.6 billion JPY) (FY 2013)|
Number of employees
|11,225 (consolidated as of March 31, 2014)|
|Footnotes / references|
The company was founded in 1897 when Sukesaku Watanabe —an industrialist, a member of the House of Representatives of Japan and a deputy mayor of Ube— established Okinoyama Coal Mine, the predecessor of the present Ube industries.
Since then, the company has established six core business units: Chemicals & plastics, specialty chemicals & products, cement, pharmaceuticals, machinery and metal products, energy and environment.
- 1897: Okinoyama Coal Mine (沖ノ山炭鉱組合 Okinoyama Tankō Kumiai) is established as a silent partnership
- 1914: Ube Shinkawa Iron Works (宇部新川鉄工所 Ube Shinkawa Tekkōjo) is established as a silent partnership.
- 1923: Ube Cement Production, Ltd. (宇部セメント製造 Ube Cement Seizō) is established.
- 1933: Ube Nitrogen Industry, Ltd. (宇部窒素工業 Ube Chisso Kōogyō) is established.
- 1942: Ube Industries, Ltd. is established through amalgamation of the four foregoing companies.
- 1993: Capital investment is made in PQM of Spain (now Ube Chemical Europe, S.A.)
- 1997: Thai Caprolactam Public Co., Ltd. and Ube Nylon (Thailand) Ltd. (now UBE Chemicals（Asia）Public Company Ltd.) open for business.
- 1998: Ube-Mitsubishi Cement Corporation (joint venture with Mitsubishi Materials Corporation) is established.
Chemicals and plasticsEdit
Speciality chemicals and productsEdit
- Liquid electrolyte
- dimethyl carbonate
- High Purity Silicon Nitride Powder
- N2 Separation Membranes
- Pharmaceutical materials
- Pharmaceutical licenses
Cement and construction materialsEdit
Energy and environmentEdit
Machinery and metal productsEdit
Ube provides advanced materials for various defense and aerospace applications, for example it's Tyranno fiber (a material incorporating a silicon/titanium mix) is used as a stealth material in the X-2 experimental aircraft.
- Chirperson and Director
- Hiroaki Tamura
- President and Representative Director
- Representative Director
- Kazuhiko Okada
- Akinori Furukawa (CCO, General Director of General affairs and Personnel Office)
- Makoto Umetsu (General Director of Research and Development)
- Yoshiomi Matsumoto (He was vice president of the Industrial Bank of Japan)
- Mitsutaka Motoda (He is President of the Sanwa Research Institute and used to be Senior managing director of Sanwa bank)
- Tokyo (Headquarter)
- Ube (Headquarter, R&D, Plant, Bulk terminal, Limestone mine)
- Fukuoka (Sales branch, Plant)
- Chiba (R&D, Plant)
- Osaka (Plants, Sales branch)
- Nagoya (Sales branch)
The presidents of the Ube Chamber of Commerce and Industry are elected from retired persons of The company. Serving president Yasuhisa Chiba (he was Representative Director of Ube industries) also holds the post of vice chairperson of the Chemical Society of Japan. Some employees of the Ube Group are elected to assemblyman.
- Thailand (Sales branch, R&D, Plant)
- Spain (Sales branch, R&D, Plant)
- Nantong, China (Plant)
- U.S. (Sales branch, Plant)
- Seoul, South Korea (Sales branch)
- Shanghai, China (Sales branch)
- Hongkong, China (Sales branch)
- Singapore (Sales branch)
- Düsseldorf, Germany (Sales branch)
- São Paulo, Brazil (Sales branch)
- Taiwan (Sales branch)
UBE Group is doing business worldwide, especially Thailand(Rayong Province) and Spain(Province of Castellón) are main sites for petrochemical business. UBE Chemicals(Asia) Public Company Ltd.(UCHA) is one of the cogent chemical companies in Thailand. The company is the sole caprolactam producer in Thailand. Dr. Charunya Phichitkul, the president of UCHA also holds the post of vice chairperson of the petrochemical Industry Club The Federation of Thai Industries.
- "Company Outline". Ube Industries. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Company Profile". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Ministry to support, boost defense equipment R&D". Yomiuri Shimbun. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Official website of JCIA,"About JCIA Officers", Retrieved on March 6, 2011.
- Official website of CSJ,"公益社団法人日本化学会 設立と役員人事のお知らせ", Retrieved on March 6, 2011.
- Official website of FTIPC,"FTIPC Organization Chart 2010-2011", Retrieved on March 6, 2011.