UGL Rail is an Australian rail company specialising in building, maintaining and refurbishing diesel locomotives, diesel & electric multiple units and freight wagons. It is a subsidiary of UGL Limited and is based in Melbourne, with a staff of 1,200 across Australia and Asia. It operates factories in Broadmeadow, Maintrain Auburn, Spotswood and Bassendean. While it used to operate a factory in Taree, the plant has currently shut down and the equipment sold off.
- 1 History
- 2 Factories
- 3 Products
- 4 New South Wales
- 5 Metro Trains Melbourne
- 6 Canberra
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Founded in Australia in 1899 by Cornish brothers Alfred and Ralph Goninan as an engineering and manufacturing company for the coal industry. A Goninan & Co Limited was incorporated as a public company in 1905.
It entered the rail business in 1917 via Commonwealth Steel Products Company of Waratah, Newcastle, a wheel and axle manufacturer because they could no longer be imported from Belgium due to World War I. A Goninan & Co moved to more convenient freehold land at Broadmeadow in 1919 and built a flourishing business in general engineering. It made pitheads, boilers, wagons and a huge, cast 41-ton block for the district's coal trade. In October 1964 A Goninan & Co was purchased by Howard Smith.
While most items were manufactured at Broadmeadow, it did purchase Comeng's Bassendean, Western Australia plant. This plant rebuilt many Pilbara Alco locomotives with General Electric components in the 1990s as well as building 17 Westrail P class and 60 NR class locomotives.
- 14 Australian National EL class diesel locomotives
- 120 National Rail NR class diesel locomotives
- 128 C44aci diesel locomotives
- 3 UGL Rail PH37ACmai diesel locomotives
New South WalesEdit
- 6 New South Wales 43 class diesel locomotives
- 20 New South Wales 47 class diesel locomotives
- 5 stainless steel power vans
- 150 S set EMU carriages
- 160 K set EMU carriages
- 56 C set EMU carriages
- 455 Tangara EMU carriages
- 196 Oscar EMU carriages
- 14 Hunter Railcar DMU carriages
- 12 QR National 5000 class diesel locomotives
- 19 QR National 5020 class diesel locomotives
- 3 Queensland Railways 1150 class diesel locomotives
- 13 Queensland Rail 2600 class diesel locomotives
- 50 Queensland Rail 2800 class diesel locomotives
- 20 Western Australia ADL/ADC class DMU carriages
- 17 Westrail P class diesel locomotives
- 9 Prospector/Avonlink DMU carriages
- Refurbishment of 762 MTR Metro Cammell M-stock carriages for MTR
- Hong Kong Light Rail 20 Phase 3 LRV
- UGL and CSR Corporation Limited Hong Kong Light Rail 22 Phase 4 LRV (Design)
New South WalesEdit
New Intercity FleetEdit
UGL is a member of the RailConnect NSW consortium, an unincorporated joint venture between UGL, Hyundai Rotem Company and Mitsubishi Electric Australia, which has designed and will build and maintain more than 500 new train carriages for the NSW Trainlink New Intercity Fleet. Delivery is due to commence in the second half of 2019. Maintenance will be carried out at Kang Angyu on the Central Coast, New South Wales.
UGL Rail has been responsible for the maintenance of all of CityRail's EMU fleet at Maintrain, Auburn since March 1994 following the closure of Electric Carriage Workshops and Eveleigh Carriage Workshops. In the early 1990s A Goninan & Co refurbished S and V sets at Broadmeadow as part of the Citydecker program.
Maintenance on H sets was initially carried out at Eveleigh but from 2018 is done at other depots with major work done at Maintrain, Auburn[clarification needed] as for other types of Sydney Trains sets. The contract to maintain 1,050 Sydney Trains carriages including H and V sets was extended for two years from 1 July 2019.
Metro Trains MelbourneEdit
- Goninan, Alfred (1865 - 1953) Australian Dictionary of Biography
- "United Group Buys Goninan from Howard Smith" Railway Digest October 1999 page 12
- United to acquire rail business Alstom Sydney Morning Herald 2 June 2005
- Clark, Peter (2012). An Australian Locomotive Guide. Rosenberg Publishing. p. 24. ISBN 9781921719554.
- Sydney Metro Northwest - case study UGL Rail
- New Intercity Fleet UGL
- "Goninan's Maintrain Centre Officially Opened" Railway Digest May 1994 page 9
- UGL Unipart CIMIC Group
- UGL secures $277M extension with Sydney Trains UGL 31 January 2019
- Melbourne's trains to get Metro brand Railway Gazette International 3 September 2009
- Canberra light rail delivered in time for Easter launch UGL 23 April 2019