UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2
UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2 (also known as UFC on Fox 9) was a mixed martial arts event held on December 14, 2013, at the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, California. It was the UFC's third visit to the venue, after UFC 65 and UFC 73.
|UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2|
The poster for UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||December 14, 2013|
|Venue||Sleep Train Arena|
A UFC Lightweight title bout between the former champion Anthony Pettis and former top contender TJ Grant was targeted for this event. However, Grant revealed in mid-September that he has yet to be medically cleared after suffering a concussion in training and would not be eligible to compete on December 14 and opted to decline the bout. Pettis was then expected to face Josh Thomson in the event headliner. However, on November 10, 2013, it was announced that Pettis was injured and the bout was cancelled. The new main event was a rematch for the Flyweight title between Demetrious Johnson and Joseph Benavidez.
Ian McCall was expected to face Scott Jorgensen at the event. However, McCall was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by John Dodson. Then on December 3, Dodson himself was forced from the bout after sustaining a knee injury. Jorgensen instead faced former Bellator Bantamweight Champion Zach Makovsky.
Carlos Condit was expected to face Matt Brown in a welterweight bout on the main card. However, on December 7, 2013, it was announced that Brown had to pull out of the bout due to herniated discs in his back. Sources close to the promotion on Saturday, December 7, 2013, told MMAjunkie no replacement was sought to meet Condit on the card, thus removing the fight entirely from the event.
This was the first MMA event held at the Sleep Train Arena since WEC 48 on April 24, 2010, where Johnson, Faber, Mendes and Jorgensen also fought. Faber headlined or co-headlined each of the arena's previous four MMA events.
|Main Card (Fox)|
|Flyweight||Demetrious Johnson (c)||def.||Joseph Benavidez||KO (punch)||1||2:08||[a]|
|Bantamweight||Urijah Faber||def.||Michael McDonald||Submission (guillotine choke)||2||3:22|
|Featherweight||Chad Mendes||def.||Nik Lentz||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Joe Lauzon||def.||Mac Danzig||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Welterweight||Ryan LaFlare||def.||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Edson Barboza||def.||Danny Castillo||Decision (majority) (29–28, 29–28, 28–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Bobby Green||def.||Pat Healy||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Zach Makovsky||def.||Scott Jorgensen||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Sam Stout||def.||Cody McKenzie||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Abel Trujillo||def.||Roger Bowling||TKO (punches)||2||1:35|
|Preliminary card (Online)|
|Flyweight||Alptekin Özkılıç||def.||Darren Uyenoyama||Decision (split) (30–27, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Flyweight Championship
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of The Night: Edson Barboza vs. Danny Castillo
- Knockout of The Night: Demetrious Johnson
- Submission of the Night: Urijah Faber
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Demetrious Johnson: $175,000 ($50,000 win bonus) def. Joseph Benavidez: $42,000
- Urijah Faber: $200,000 ($100,000 win bonus) def. Michael McDonald: $17,000
- Chad Mendes: $90,000 ($45,000 win bonus) def. Nik Lentz: $29,000
- Joe Lauzon: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Mac Danzig: $32,000
- Ryan LaFlare: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Court McGee: $10,000
- Edson Barboza: $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus) def. Danny Castillo: $31,000
- Bobby Green: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Pat Healy: $25,000
- Zach Makovsky: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Scott Jorgensen: $26,000
- Sam Stout: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Cody McKenzie: $12,000
- Abel Trujillo: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Roger Bowling: $12,000
- Alptekin Ozkilic: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Darren Uyenoyama: $12,000
- Staff (2013-12-14). "UFC on FOX 9 draws reported 11,573 attendance for $1,066,610 live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Staff (2013-09-04). "UFC on FOX 9 slated for Dec. 14 in Sacramento". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Sean Smith (2013-09-11). "Dana White Wants Anthony Pettis vs. TJ Grant at UFC on Fox 9". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Staff (2013-09-16). "T.J. Grant ruled out of planned UFC on FOX 9 title fight with Anthony Pettis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Staff (2013-09-16). "Anthony Pettis vs. Josh Thomson booked for UFC on FOX 9 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Staff (2013-11-10). "Pettis-Thomson off UFC on FOX 9, Johnson-Benavidez shifts to main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Damon Martin (2013-09-11). "Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald Set as Co-Main Event for UFC on Fox 9". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Jason Floyd (2013-10-29). "With Ian McCall injured, Scott Jorgensen now meets John Dodson". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Chris Hall (2013-12-03). "John Dodson out of UFC on Fox 9 fight against Scott Jorgensen due to knee injury". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Ken Pishna (2013-12-04). "RFA Flyweight Champion Zach Makovsky Tapped to Face Scott Jorgensen at UFC on Fox 9". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Tim Burke. "Bobby Green in for Jamie Varner, will face Pat Healy at UFC on Fox 9". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Tim Burke. "Ryan LaFlare in for Kelvin Gastelum, faces Court McGee at UFC on Fox 9". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Dave Doyle. "Injury forces John Moraga out of UFC on FOX 9 bout with Darren Uyenoyama". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Jamie Penick. "Matt Brown pulls out of Carlos Condit fight at UFC on Fox 9 due to injury". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- "Matt Brown injured, fight vs. Carlos Condit scrapped from UFC on FOX 9". MMA Junkie Staff. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Events at Sleep Train Arena, from WrestlingData.com
- "UFC on Fox 9". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC on FOX 9 bonuses: Johnson, Faber, Barboza, Castillo win $50,000". MMAjunkie. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Steven Marrocco (December 15, 2013). "UFC on FOX 9 salaries: Johnson, Faber lead $1 million payroll". mmajunkie.com.