UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3
|UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 7, 2015|
|Venue||Ginásio do Ibirapuera|
|City||São Paulo, Brazil|
The event was the fourth held in São Paulo following UFC Ultimate Brazil (1998), UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping (2013) and The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale: Miocic vs. Maldonado (2014) and the twenty-fourth overall event to be held in Brazil.
The event was headlined by a middleweight trilogy bout between longtime multi-divisional contenders and champions Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson. Henderson defeated Belfort in their first encounter in 2006 at Pride 32 via unanimous decision. Belfort defeated Henderson in their second encounter in 2013 at UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson via first round knockout.
Tom Lawlor was expected to face Fabio Maldonado at this event. However, Lawlor was forced to pull out due to injury and was replaced by The Ultimate Fighter 19 light heavyweight winner Corey Anderson.
On December 4, it was announced that Gleison Tibau was "provisionally suspended" by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) due to a potential failed out-of-competition drug test. On December 23, a second potential failed drug test, this time in-competition, was also announced. On February 16, Tibau announced he will drop his appeal and face the minimum punishment under the new rules, which is a two-year suspension. A day later, Tibau admitted he used erythropoietin out-of-competition thinking it "wouldn’t be anything" and that he thought he wasn't doing something wrong. Subsequently, on February 18, USADA announced Tibau's two-year suspension retroactive to the date of the fight and his win is now overturned to a loss, per the anti-doping policy of the Comissão Atlética Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), which regulated the bout. Thus, Abel Trujillo's loss was overturned to a win.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Middleweight||Vitor Belfort||def.||Dan Henderson||KO (head kick and punches)||1||2:07|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||def.||Patrick Cummins||TKO (punches)||2||1:12|
|Bantamweight||Thomas Almeida||def.||Anthony Birchak||KO (punches)||1||4:24|
|Lightweight||Alex Oliveira||def.||Piotr Hallmann||KO (punch)||3||0:51|
|Lightweight||Rashid Magomedov||def.||Gilbert Burns||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Corey Anderson||def.||Fabio Maldonado||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Lightweight||Abel Trujillo||def.||Gleison Tibau||Disqualification (overturned)||1||1:45||[a]|
|Lightweight||Johnny Case||def.||Yan Cabral||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Thiago Tavares||def.||Clay Guida||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||0:39|
|Featherweight||Chas Skelly||def.||Kevin Souza||Submission (rear-naked choke)||2||1:56|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Viscardi Andrade||def.||Gasan Umalatov||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Jimmie Rivera||def.||Pedro Munhoz||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Matheus Nicolau||def.||Bruno Rodrigues||Submission (Japanese necktie)||3||3:27|
- Originally a technical submission (rear-naked choke) win for Tibau, the result was overturned due to Tibau testing positive for erythropoietin.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Vitor Belfort, Thomas Almeida, Alex Oliveira and Thiago Tavares
- Mike Bohn (2015-11-08). "UFC Fight Night 77 post-fight facts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-08-02). "Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson headlines UFC Fight Night card in November". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2015-08-02). "Belfort-Hendo III headlines in São Paulo". ufc.com. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2015-10-20). "Anderson in for injured Lawlor in São Paulo". ufc.com. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-12-06). "Gleison Tibau 'provisionally suspended' after potential USADA violation". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- Staff (2015-12-23). "Gleison Tibau notified of in-competition testing failure, his second failed drug test". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Steven Marrocco and Christian Stein (2016-02-16). "UFC lightweight Gleison Tibau says he'll drop USADA appeal, accept 2-year punishment". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-02-17). "Gleison Tibau admits EPO use: 'I took it without imagining I was doing something wrong'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-02-18). "USADA officially suspends Gleison Tibau for two years". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- "UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2015-08-18.
- "UFC Athlete, Gleison Tibau Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Policy Violation". U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. February 18, 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Staff (2015-11-08). "UFC Fight Night 77 bonuses: Who took home $50,000 for their stoppages in São Paulo?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
|This article related to mixed martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|