UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on March 3, 2018, at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas metropolitan area.
|UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya|
The poster for UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||March 3, 2018|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
A UFC Featherweight Championship bout between champion Max Holloway and former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar was expected to serve as the event headliner. The pairing was initially expected to take place three months earlier at UFC 218. However, Edgar pulled out of the fight citing an eye injury. In turn, Holloway pulled out of this bout on February 3, due to a leg injury and the matchup was scrapped.
On the same day of Holloway's withdrawal, the UFC reportedly pursued a UFC Bantamweight Championship bout between current champion T.J. Dillashaw and former champion Cody Garbrandt to headline this event, in what would be a rematch of their UFC 217 encounter, in which Dillashaw recaptured the title with a TKO win. However, Dillashaw declined the offer citing a few reasons: the recent birth of his first child, not being in a training camp, disbelief that Garbrandt deserves the title shot, as well as a targeted UFC Flyweight Championship challenge against the champion Demetrious Johnson (who was, at the time, recovering from a surgery).
On February 7, it was reported that a UFC Women's Featherweight Championship bout between current champion Cris Cyborg (who is also a former Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Champion and Invicta FC Featherweight Champion) and former Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion Yana Kunitskaya would headline the event. Edgar remained on the card, facing Brian Ortega in the co-main event.
A bantamweight bout between former UFC Flyweight Championship challenger and The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller bantamweight winner John Dodson and Pedro Munhoz is expected to take place at the event. The pairing was originally scheduled to take place one month earlier at UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Anders but was scrapped from the event after Munhoz missed weight and Dodson did not agree to fight at a catchweight.
|Women's Featherweight||Cris Cyborg (c)||def.||Yana Kunitskaya||TKO (punches)||1||3:25||[a]|
|Featherweight||Brian Ortega||def.||Frankie Edgar||KO (punch)||1||4:44|
|Bantamweight||Sean O’Malley||def.||Andre Soukhamthath||Decision (unanimous) (29–27, 29–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Heavyweight||Andrei Arlovski||def.||Stefan Struve||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Women's Bantamweight||Ketlen Vieira||def.||Cat Zingano||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Women's Strawweight||Mackenzie Dern||def.||Ashley Yoder||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Alexander Hernandez||def.||Beneil Dariush||KO (punch)||1||0:42|
|Bantamweight||John Dodson||def.||Pedro Munhoz||Decision (split) (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||C.B. Dollaway||def.||Hector Lombard||DQ (illegal punches)||1||5:00||[b]|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||Zak Ottow||def.||Mike Pyle||TKO (punches)||1||2:34|
|Bantamweight||Cody Stamann||def.||Bryan Caraway||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Jordan Johnson||def.||Adam Milstead||Decision (split) (29–28, 27–30, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Sean O'Malley vs. Andre Soukhamthath
- Performance of the Night: Brian Ortega and Alexander Hernandez
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $2,103,000.
- Cris Cyborg: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Yana Kunitskaya: $100,000
- Brian Ortega: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Frankie Edgar: $195,000
- Sean O'Malley: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) def. Andre Soukhamthath: $19,000
- Andrei Arlovski: $275,000 (no win bonus) def. Stefan Struve: $77,000
- Ketlen Vieira: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Cat Zingano: $35,000
- Mackenzie Dern: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Ashley Yoder: $12,000
- Alexander Hernandez: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus) def. Beneil Dariush: $48,000
- John Dodson: $82,000 (includes $41,000 win bonus) def. Pedro Munhoz: $34,000
- C.B. Dollaway: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus) def. Hector Lombard: $62,000
- Zak Ottow: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Mike Pyle: $55,000
- Cody Stamann: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Bryan Caraway: $21,000
- Jordan Johnson: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Adam Milstead: $12,000
- Staff (2018-03-04). "UFC 222 draws announced 12,041 attendance for $1,367,672 live gate in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- Cillian Cunningham (2018-09-28). "UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till reportedly does awful PPV numbers". punditarena.com. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- Staff (2017-11-05). "UFC announces Q1 event schedule". ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Dave Doyle (2018-01-08). "Max Holloway vs. Frankie Edgar rescheduled for UFC 222". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-11-11). "Frankie Edgar injured, off UFC 218 title fight vs. Max Holloway". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-11-11.
- Brett Okamoto (2018-02-03). "UFC 222 explores options for main event after Max Holloway injury". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-02-03.
- Mike Bohn (2018-02-03). "T.J. Dillashaw shuts down UFC 222 rematch against Cody Garbrandt, whose blasts champ's 'excuses'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-03.
- Ariel Helwani (2018-02-07). "Cris Cyborg vs. Yana Kunitskaya, Frankie Edgar vs. Brian Ortega scheduled for UFC 222". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Adam Hill (2018-02-06). "Bantamweight bout rescheduled for UFC 222 in Las Vegas". reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-02-02). "John Dodson vs. Pedro Munhoz off of UFC Belem". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- Dave Doyle (2018-02-14). "Bobby Green injured, out of UFC 222 fight with Beneil Dariush". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Staff (2018-02-23). "Beneil Dariush draws newcomer as replacement opponent at UFC 222". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- Matt Erickson (2018-03-04). "UFC 222 results: Hector Lombard disqualified for KO punch of C.B. Dollaway after horn". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- "UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Staff (2018-03-04). "UFC 222 bonuses: Brian Ortega, Alexander Hernandez easy choices for $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- Staff (2018-03-04). "UFC 222 final salaries: Cyborg ($500K), Arlovski ($275K), Ortega ($200K) earn top payouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-04.