UEFA Euro 1972
The 1972 UEFA European Football Championship final tournament was held in Belgium. This was the fourth UEFA European Championship, held every four years and endorsed by UEFA. The final tournament took place between 14 and 18 June 1972.
|Europees kampioenschap voetbal België 1972 (in Dutch)|
Championnat d'Europe de football Belgique 1972 (in French)
Fußball-Europameisterschaft Belgien 1972 (in German)
|Venue(s)||4 (in 3 host cities)|
|Champions||West Germany (1st title)|
|Goals scored||10 (2.5 per match)|
|Attendance||121,880 (30,470 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Gerd Müller (4 goals)|
Only four countries played in the final tournament, with the tournament consisting of the semi-finals, a third place play-off, and the final.
The hosts were only announced after the qualifying round, which meant all teams had to participate in the qualification process for the final stage. Belgium was chosen among three candidates; the other bids came from England and Italy, whose teams did not reach the semi-finals.
The qualifying round was played throughout 1970 and 1971 (group phase), and 1972 (quarter-finals). There were eight qualifying groups of four teams each. The matches were played in a home-and-away basis. Victories were worth two points, draws one point, and defeats no points. Only group winners could qualify for the quarter-finals. The quarter-finals were played in two legs on a home-and-away basis. The winners of the quarter-finals went through to the final tournament.
|Team||Qualified as||Qualified on||Previous appearances in tournament[A]|
|Belgium (host)||Quarter-final winner||13 May 1972||0 (debut)|
|Soviet Union||Quarter-final winner||13 May 1972||3 (1960, 1964, 1968)|
|West Germany||Quarter-final winner||13 May 1972||0 (debut)|
|Hungary||Quarter-final winner||17 May 1972||1 (1964)|
- Bold indicates champion for that year.
|Heysel Stadium||Stade Émile Versé||Stade Maurice Dufrasne|
|Capacity: 75,000||Capacity: 30,000||Capacity: 35,000|
|Sweden||Johan Einar Boström|
|East Germany||Rudi Glöckner|
|14 June – Antwerp|
|18 June – Brussels (Heysel)|
|14 June – Brussels (Émile Versé)|
|Third place play-off|
|17 June – Liège|
There were 10 goals scored in 4 matches, for an average of 2.5 goals per match.
- UEFA Team of the Tournament
|Yevhen Rudakov|| Revaz Dzodzuashvili
| Uli Hoeneß
| Raoul Lambert|
- Henson, Mike (12 May 2012). "Euro 1972: West Germany sweep the continent on finals debut". BBC Sport. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Sportflitsen" [Sports flashes] (in Dutch). De Tijd. 14 March 1972. Retrieved 19 September 2015 – via Delpher.
- "Müller strikes twice as West Germany beat USSR in 1972 EURO final". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 3 October 2003. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "1972 team of the tournament". Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1972 UEFA European Championship.|
- UEFA Euro 1972 at UEFA.com