United States Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections was a committee of the United States Senate.
It was established by a Senate resolution on March 10, 1871 and terminated January 2, 1947, when its functions were transferred to the Committee on Rules and Administration. Among the matters referred to the committee were contested elections for Senate seats, questions regarding credentials of Senators, financing of senatorial elections, and expenses of contestants in contested election cases. The committee also considered most legislation proposing the direct election of Senators and some legislation concerning voting rights issues such as poll taxes and woman suffrage. The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 abolished the Committee on Privileges and Elections and transferred its jurisdiction to the Committee on Rules and Administration, which had a subcommittee on privileges and elections until 1977.
- 1871–1872: William M. Stewart (R-NV)
- 1872–1877: Oliver P. Morton (R-IN)
- 1877–1879: Bainbridge Wadleigh (R-NH)
- 1879–1881: Eli Saulsbury (D-DE)
- 1881–1891: George Hoar (R-MA)
- 1891–1894: Zebulon Vance (D-NC)
- 1894–1895: George Gray (D-DE)
- 1895–1897: John H. Mitchell (R-OR)
- 1897 : George F. Hoar (R-MA)
- 1898–1901: William E. Chandler (R-NH)
- 1901–1911: Julius Burrows (R-MI)
- 1911–1913: William P. Dillingham (R-VT)
- 1913–1917: John W. Kern (D-IN)
- 1917–1919: Atlee Pomerene (D-OH)
- 1919–1923: William P. Dillingham (R-VT)
- 1923–1925: Selden P. Spencer (R-MO)
- 1925–1927: Richard P. Ernst (R-KY)
- 1927–1933: Samuel Shortridge (R-CA)
- 1933–1941: Walter F. George (D-GA)
- 1941–1947: Theodore Francis Green (D-RI) 
- "Records of the Committee on Rules and Administration and Related Committees, 1825–1988". National Archives. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "CHAIRMEN OF SENATE STANDING COMMITTEES" (PDF).
- Taft, George S.; Furber, George P.; Buck, George M.; Webb, Charles A.; Pierce, Herbert R. (1913). "Compilation of Senate Election Cases from 1789 to 1913". U.S. Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.