17 September 1991
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Other names||Kangaroo Paws|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||205.5 lb (93.2 kg; 14.68 st)|
|Reach||79 in (201 cm)|
|Style||Jiu-Jitsu, Kempo, Boxing|
|Fighting out of||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Team||Lions High Performance Centre|
|Rank||Black belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu |
Black belt in Kempo
Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
He is the son of John Pedro, who owned King of the Cage in Australia and was one of exponent MMA and fighters fought in the first cage fight in Australia. With seven black belts of different combat sport style, Pedro was introduced to Japanese jiu-jitsu (a.k.a. jujutsu) at the age of 4. From jujutsu, he progressed to boxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu before eventually fighting MMA.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
After winning over Kiwi Steven Warby at Australian Fighting Championship 17 via rear-naked choke, Pedro called UFC president Dana White and personally asked him to fight at UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson in Melbourne, should any fighters pull out from the event. He was added to the card after Luke Rockhold withdrew from the event due to a sprained anterior cruciate ligament.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Pedro made his promotional debut against Khalil Rountree on 15 November 2016 at UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson. He won the fight via submission in round 1, for which he was awarded with a Performance of the Night bonus.
On 10 August 2018, it was revealed that Pedro had signed a new, six-fight contract with the UFC.
Pedro faced Maurício Rua on 2 December 2018 at UFC Fight Night 142. Rua defeating Pedro via technical knockout in round three, finishing Pedro with a flurry of strikes after Pedro suffered a leg injury and was unable to defend himself.
Pedro is expected to be sidelined for the majority of 2019 as he recovers from knee reconstruction surgery.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|10 matches||7 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||7–3||Maurício Rua||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: dos Santos vs. Tuivasa||2 December 2018||3||0:43||Adelaide, Australia|
|Loss||7–2||Ovince Saint Preux||Submission (straight armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Edwards||23 June 2018||1||2:54||Kallang, Singapore|
|Win||7–1||Saparbek Safarov||Submission (kimura)||UFC 221||10 February 2018||1||3:54||Perth, Australia|
|Loss||6–1||Ilir Latifi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 215||9 September 2017||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||6–0||Paul Craig||TKO (elbows)||UFC 209||4 March 2017||1||4:10||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Khalil Rountree Jr.||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||27 November 2016||1||4:07||Melbourne, Australia||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||4–0||Stephen Warby||Submission (rear-naked choke)||AFC 17||15 October 2016||1||3:05||Melbourne, Australia|
|Win||3–0||Don Endermann||Submission (rear-naked choke)||AFC 16: Sosoli vs. Tuivasa||18 June 2016||1||2:27||Melbourne, Australia|
|Win||2–0||Michael Fitzgerald||Submission (guillotine choke)||Urban Fight Night 6: Make or Break||12 March 2016||1||2:20||Liverpool, Australia|
|Win||1–0||Charlie Ngaheu||KO (punch)||Eternal MMA 3: Friday Night Fights||23 September 2013||1||0:31||Coolangatta, Australia|
- "Tyson Pedro". Tapology. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Tyson Pedro - Official UFC Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- @tyson_pedro_ (8 February 2019). "Tried to surprise my mestre & professor tonight, but that's why he's the mestre because he did the double surprise. He asks me to come on the mat and I tried to tell him I have my hat & no gi, he looked at me with the it wasn't a request eyes & presented me with my black belt. 🙏🏽" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Humans of the Islands: Tyson Pedro". The Coconet.tv. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "What's Fresh –Tyson Pedro dominates in UFC debut". niufm.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Cooke, Richard (2 December 2017). "Fists of fate: Tyson Pedro, 26, mixed martial artist". The Saturday Paper. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "A Quick Chat With Tyson Pedro On The Eve Of The Fight Of His Life: UFC Fight Night 101". Sports. 24 November 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Pedro to fight at UFC Melbourne". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Meet Tyson Pedro: West Sydney's Man in UFC Fight Night 101". Vice Sports. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- Oates, Alex (19 October 2016). "Rising MMA star Tyson Pedro calls on UFC boss Dana White to add him to the UFC Melbourne card". Herald Sun. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Rockhold vs. Souza 2 rematch canceled". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "UFC Fight Night 101 Bonuses: Robert Whittaker Pockets $100K for First-Round TKO". Sherdog. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Australian light-heavyweight Tyson Pedro to take on Paul Craig at UFC 209". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Ben Fowlkes (4 March 2017). "UFC 209 results: Tyson Pedro puts Paul Craig away in first with vicious elbows". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- Johan Taliercio (28 June 2017). "Ilir Latifi ready for new match - get unreserved opponent on UFC 215". mmanytt.se. Retrieved 28 June 2017. (in Swedish)
- "UFC 215 results: Ilir Latifi's wrestling hands Tyson Pedro first pro loss". MMAjunkie. 10 September 2017. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "UFC locks in first bouts for Perth event". The West Australian. 10 November 2017. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- Sherdog.com. "Ovince St. Preux vs. Tyson Pedro, Two Other Bouts Booked for UFC Fight Night 132 in Singapore". Sherdog. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "UFC Fight Night 132 results: Ovince Saint Preux gets dropped early but submits Tyson Pedro". MMAjunkie. 23 June 2018. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Nathan Zur (10 August 2018). "Aussie Duo Tai Tuivasa, Tyson Pedro Both Sign New Six-Fight Contracts With The UFC". sherdog.com.
- Sherdog.com. "Light heavyweights 'Shogun' Rua, Tyson Pedro to Clash at UFC Fight Night 142 in Adelaide". Sherdog. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- Anderson, Jay (2 December 2018). "UFC Adelaide Results: Shogun Survives Early Storm, Finishes Tyson Pedro In Third". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Brendan Bradford. "UFC Adelaide: Bad injury news but no excuses for Tyson Pedro". sportingnews.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- Mike Bohn and John Morgan (7 February 2019). "Fresh off ACL surgery, Tyson Pedro unsure of timeline for return". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "FC 209: Tyson Pedro out to hit it hard in Las Vegas, just like the man he was named after, Mike Tyson". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "UFC 209: Tyson Pedro out to hit it hard in Las Vegas, just like the man he was named after, Mike Tyson". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Tai Tuivasa to join UFC on four-fight deal and will fight in heavyweight division". Herald Sun. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "UFC 209: Western Sydney's Tyson Pedro set for the big time". the Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- The halfcast podcast (30 October 2017), The Halfcast Podcast #1, retrieved 24 December 2017
- The halfcast podcast (23 November 2017), The Halfcast Podcast #2, retrieved 24 December 2017
- The halfcast podcast (7 December 2017), The Halfcast Podcast #3, retrieved 24 December 2017
- Walshaw, Nick. "UFC 209: Tyson Pedro out to hit it hard in Las Vegas, just like the man he was named after, Mike Tyson".
- Sherdog.com. "Tyson Pedro MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 8 November 2018.