Tyler Conklin (born July 30, 1995) is an American football tight end for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Central Michigan. He was drafted by the Vikings in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
|No. 83 – Minnesota Vikings|
|Born:||July 30, 1995|
Chesterfield Township, Michigan
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||254 lb (115 kg)|
|High school:||L'Anse Creuse North|
(Macomb Township, Michigan)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 5 / Pick: 157|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
High school careerEdit
Conklin attended L'Anse Creuse High School - North in Macomb Township, Michigan, where he was a standout two-sport athlete, playing as a wide receiver in football and combo guard in basketball. As a junior, Conklin led his basketball team to the Class A Final Four, scoring 22 points in a 59-46 semifinal loss to eventual state champion Saginaw High.
After graduating from high school, Conklin was awarded a full-ride basketball scholarship to Northwood University. He stayed for one semester and played in seven games, averaging 2.6 rebounds, 1.9 points and 1.4 assists per game. However, midway through his freshman year, he transferred to Central Michigan University, where he walked on to the football team. Coming in weighing less than ideal for the tight end position, Conklin sat out his first season with the Chippewas in order to gain weight. After gaining 25 pounds during the offseason, he earned a backup role in 2015, catching six passes for 95 yards.
During the first one-on-one drill of training camp in August 2017, Conklin broke a bone in his left foot. He was cleared to return to the field on October 7 for the game against Ohio in which he set career-highs with 10 catches for 136 yards and two scores in a 26-23 victory.
Soon after graduating with a major in communications, Conklin received an invitation to the 2018 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, where he caught two passes including a 16-yard over-the-shoulder touchdown pass from Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, whom the Buffalo Bills drafted at No. 7 overall.
Conklin performed well at the 2018 NFL Combine and ranked second among all tight ends in the vertical, fourth in the broad jump, fifth in the three-cone drill, and ninth in the 40-yard dash.
|Conklin gets drafted by Minnesota|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|33 1⁄4 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|4.80 s||1.66 s||2.78 s||4.23 s||7.13 s||38 in
|10 ft 0 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Conklin was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. On May 5, 2018, Conklin signed a four-year contract worth $2.741 million, including a signing bonus of $281,032. In the Vikings' season opener against the San Francisco 49ers, he had one reception for six yards in his NFL debut.
- "L'Anse Creuse North falls to Saginaw, 59-46, in Class A state semifinals". highschoolsports.mlive.com.
- "Tyler Conklin passes on hoop dreams, earns shot with Vikings". Twin Cities. April 28, 2018. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Tyler Conklin 2015 Game Log". College Football at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Junior Trevor Conklin on NFL Draft prospect Tyler Conklin: 'I love my brother'". www.thescore.com.
- "Josh Allen stole the show at the Senior Bowl". www.cm-life.com.
- "5 things to know about new Vikings TE Tyler Conklin". www.vikings.com.
- "Tyler Conklin - Central Michigan, TE : 2018 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". www.nfldraftscout.com.
- "Vikings Select Central Michigan TE Tyler Conklin in Round 5". Vikings.com. April 28, 2018. Archived from the original on April 29, 2018.
- "Vikings sign draft picks Jalyn Holmes, Tyler Conklin". TwinCities.com. May 5, 2018.
- "San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings - September 9th, 2018". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 2, 2018.