Tye Kayle Sheridan (born November 11, 1996) is an American actor. Sheridan made his feature film debut in Terrence Malick's experimental drama film The Tree of Life (2011) and had his first leading role in Jeff Nichols's film Mud (2012). He also co-starred in David Gordon Green's drama Joe (2013). In 2015, he starred in the drama The Stanford Prison Experiment. Sheridan played Cyclops in the 2016 film X-Men: Apocalypse, and will portray the lead character, Wade Watts, in Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, which is scheduled for a March 30, 2018 release. He will also be reprising his role as Cyclops in the upcoming film X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
Sheridan at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||Tye Kayle Sheridan
November 11, 1996
Elkhart, Texas, U.S.
Sheridan was born in Elkhart, Texas. His mother, Stephanie (Wright) Sheridan, owns a beauty salon, and his father, Bryan Sheridan, is an employee of UPS. He has a younger sister, Madison. He attended the Elkhart Independent School District until he began his film career and received tutoring on film sets. Sheridan has graduated from high school.
Sheridan made his feature film debut in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, with Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and Sean Penn, after an almost year-long casting search of more than 10,000 children from Texas and Oklahoma. The film premiered at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival and went on to be awarded the prestigious Palme d'Or and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
In 2012, he played the leading role of Ellis in Jeff Nichols's Mud opposite Jacob Lofland and Matthew McConaughey. The coming-of-age drama-thriller film premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and Sheridan received a Critics Choice Award nomination.
Sheridan also plays Gary Jones in the film Joe, which stars Nicolas Cage playing an ex-con who meets a 15-year-old boy, the eldest child in a homeless family headed by an alcoholic father, and is faced with the choice of redemption or ruin. For his role he has received the Marcello Mastroianni Award for best upcoming young actor at the 70th Venice International Film Festival.
In 2014, he played Will Cutter in the film The Forger, from a script by Richard D’Ovidio, which stars John Travolta. The film follows former child art prodigy and art forger Ray Cutter (Travolta), who arranges to buy his way out of prison so he can spend time with his ailing son (Sheridan) and father (Plummer), only to be forced to change his plans and commit one last big job for the syndicate that financed his early release.
In 2015, Sheridan starred in the three films that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. He co-starred opposite Gregg Turkington and Michael Cera in the drama Entertainment, played a prisoner in the film adaptation of The Stanford Prison Experiment and in Rodrigo Garcia's drama Last Days in the Desert opposite Ewan McGregor, released May 2016. He also had a supporting role in the film adaptation of Gillian Flynn's Dark Places and the leading role in the horror comedy Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse.
In June 2013, he joined the cast of a film written and directed by Kyle Wilamowski, Grass Stains, along with Kaitlyn Dever. He plays a teen discovering his first love (Dever). When a prank goes awry and causes the death of his girlfriend’s older brother, the boy must balance his secret guilt with his feelings for the girl. He will star in The Yellow Birds (2017) opposite Alden Ehrenreich, Jack Huston and Jennifer Aniston. On February 24, 2016, Sheridan was cast as Wade Watts, a.k.a. Parzival, the lead character in Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, which is slated for a March 30, 2018 release. Sheridan will be reprising the role of Scott Summers / Cyclops in the 2018 film X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
|2011||The Tree of Life||Steve O'Brien||Terrence Malick|
|2013||Joe||Gary Jones||David Gordon Green|
|2014||The Forger||Will Cutter||Philip Martin|
|2015||Entertainment||Eddie the Opener||Rick Alverson|
|2015||Last Days in the Desert||Son||Rodrigo García|
|2015||The Stanford Prison Experiment||Peter Mitchell||Kyle Patrick Alvarez|
|2015||Dark Places||Young Ben Day||Gilles Paquet-Brenner|
|2015||Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse||Ben Goudy||Christopher B. Landon|
|2016||Detour||Harper James||Christopher Smith|
|2016||X-Men: Apocalypse||Scott Summers / Cyclops||Bryan Singer|
|2017||The Yellow Birds||Daniel Murphy||Alexandre Moors|
|2017||Grass Stains||Conrad Stevens||Kyle Wilamowski|
|2018||Ready Player One||Wade Watts / Parzival||Steven Spielberg||Post-production|
|2018||X-Men: Dark Phoenix||Scott Summers / Cyclops||Simon Kinberg||Post-production|
|2014||Last Man Standing||Justin||Episodes: "Tasers" "Mutton Busting" and "Here's the Kicker"|
|2016||Sky Fibre - X-Men Apocalypse - Television Advertisement||Scott Summers / Cyclops||Set after the events of X-Men: Apocalypse|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2012||Central Ohio Film Critics Association||Best Ensemble
(shared with The Tree of Life crew)
|The Tree of Life||Nominated|
|2013||Marcello Mastroianni Award at the 70th Venice International Film Festival||Best New Young Actor||Joe||Won|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award||Best Youth Performance||Mud||Won|
|Chicago Film Critics Association Awards 2013||Most Promising Performer||Nominated|
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Award||Best Performance by a Youth in a Lead or Supporting Role - Male||Won|
|Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award||Youth in Film||Won|
|Georgia Film Critics Association||Breakthrough Award||Joe, Mud||Nominated|
|2014||Robert Altman Award At Independent Spirit Awards||Best Ensemble
(shared with Mud crew)
|Critics' Choice Movie Award||Best Young Actor/Actress||Nominated|
|Empire Awards||Empire Award for Best Male Newcomer||Nominated|
- Hirschberg, Lynn. "All X-Men Star Tye Sheridan Wants Is To Go to College".
- "The Tree of Life Official Press (pag 21)" (PDF). Festival-Cannes.com. June 13, 2011. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Interview: Mud's Tye Sheridan". YourEastTEXAS.com. May 2, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Tye Sheridan Biography". Showtimes.com. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 24, 2016). "Steven Spielberg Taps Tye Sheridan For Lead In 'Ready Player One' Based On Ernest Cline Novel". Deadline.
- "Intervista: Tye Sheridan, La Giovane, Rivelazione di Venezia (Italian)". Film.it. September 10, 2013. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Webb, Pennylynn. "Elkhart's own". Joomag. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Germain, David (May 22, 2011). "Malick's 'Tree of Life' wins top Cannes fest honor". Forbes. Forbes publishing. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- "Oscar 2012 winners – The full list". The Guardian. UK. February 27, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Nominees and Winners for the 84th Academy Awards". Academy Awards of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Oscars). Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- Collett-White, Mike (May 26, 2012). "Cannes gets happy ending with river film 'Mud'". Reuters. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "19th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards Nominations". criticschoice.com. December 16, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Tye Sheridan Joins Nic Cage In 'Joe'". Deadline.com. October 22, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Official Awards of the 70th Venice Film Festival". labiennale.org. December 9, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "'Mud' Star Tye Sheridan Joins John Travolta in 'The Forger'". Thewrap.com. August 22, 2013. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony. "Broad Green Sets 2016 Dates For 'Infiltrator', 'Last Days In The Desert' & 'Dark Horse'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (December 5, 2013). "Release Date Announced for X-Men: Apocalypse". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "'Mud' Breakout Actor in Talks to Star in Indie 'Grass Stains' (Exclusive)". HollywoodReporter.com. June 6, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Sheridan and Dever to Lead Grass Stains". movies.ie. July 11, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Busch, Anita (October 6, 2015). "Jack Huston & Jennifer Aniston Join War Pic 'The Yellow Birds'". Deadline.com.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 14, 2017). "Fox Formalizes Simon Kinberg To Helm 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix'; Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy Back, Jessica Chastain In Talks". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Sky Fibre and X-Men: Apocalypse TV Ad - Extended Cut
- Sky Fibre and X-Men: Apocalypse TV Ad - Behind the Scenes (Visual Effects)
- "Press release: 2011 Central Ohio Film Critics Association awards nominees". Reeltimes.blogspot.it. January 1, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- WAFCA [@WAFCA] (August 12, 2012). "WAFCA Winner: Best Youth Performance: Tye Sheridan (Mud)" (Tweet). Retrieved March 24, 2013 – via Twitter.
- "Phoenix Film Critics Society 2013 Awards Winners". phoenixfilmcriticssociety.org. December 17, 2013.
- "'12 Years' Wins Over Las Vegas Film Critics". moviemezzanine.com. December 17, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Official Awards of Georgia Film Critics Association". georgiafilmcritics.org. Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- "2014 Spirit Awards: '12 Years A Slave', 'All Is Lost', 'Frances Ha', 'Inside Llewyn Davis' & 'Nebraska' Nab Best Feature Noms". deadline.com. November 26, 2013. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "Jeff Nichols, 'Mud' cast win Independent Spirit Altman Award". arktimes.com. November 27, 2013. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "Empire Awards Nomination 2014". empireonline.com. Retrieved February 24, 2014.